Next Wilco Album

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am confused, but this is a fan forum, no? As a fan, I think it's fun to discuss where the band might go next. That's not dictating where the band goes next or passing judgment on what they've done before. It's just...speculation. I like the Wilcos and I'm looking forward to the next album. That's all.

Maybe I am confused, but this is a fan forum, no? As a fan, I think it's fun to discuss where the band might go next. That's not dictating where the band goes next or passing judgment on what they've done before. It's just...speculation. I like the Wilcos and I'm looking forward to the next album. That's all.

:thumbup

Guest Speed Racer

But you're happy dictating where this thread goes and passing judgments on its posts?

I enjoy discussing where the new album might go too, which is why I am, see - but I think it's impossible for someone to discuss where something might go without bringing up where they are or where they've been. You agree with me, otherwise you wouldn't have brought up how you like W(TA), the Mavis record, and how you're over 8 minute drones. That's passing judgement, both good and bad, on what they've done before. I don't think anyone has said, "Wilco MUST do this" in their thread, but we've certainly posted the same wishlists you've put in your first post - it's just that some people's wishlists are different from, or the antithesis, or yours.

The "you don't agree with me, therefore you must not be a fan, teehee" bit has been done before with the same results. People who like a band, nay - love a band, even - can dislike its present, past, or bits of each. That's like implying someone doesn't like a friend because of the things they dislike in that friend. If my friend wrote the songs on SBS I wouldn't end the friendship, I just might feign a cold on his or her open mike nights.

I'd like to see Wilco and Radiohead tour together. After members of the groups collaborated on 7 Worlds Collide, this may be possible. Maybe not likely, but still possible. Both bands really need to challenge themselves again. I think that touring together could possibly bring out the competitive spirit in each band's respective leaders and lead to more inspired songwriting. Each band's last couple of albums have been good, but not great. It would be great to see these groups tour together, possibly even play together in such a tour.

In Rainbows is my second favorite Radiohead album. HTTT has so much potential to be my number one Radiohead album, but it has too much filler.

In summation, I strongly disagree about your views on Radiohead's recent stuff.

A Radiohead/Wilco tour would be awesome, but two massive and loyal fanbases fighting for prime tickets wouldn't be pretty. I know there's a fair bit of overlap, but still.

I'd like to see Wilco and Radiohead tour together. After members of the groups collaborated on 7 Worlds Collide, this may be possible. Maybe not likely, but still possible. Both bands really need to challenge themselves again. I think that touring together could possibly bring out the competitive spirit in each band's respective leaders and lead to more inspired songwriting. Each band's last couple of albums have been good, but not great. It would be great to see these groups tour together, possibly even play together in such a tour.

I think that is a great idea. I'm glad someone else thinks that the last radiohead and wilco albums weren't great. They weren't bad, but not great. I love me some radiohead, but i don't know how IR made any of the top decade lists. Boggles my mind. On the otherhand, I think Kid A and YHfoxtrot were the two best albums of the decade and all-time classics.

I'm sure it won't happen, but if it did... i'd go to every show across the world.

i love the boosh!

Can't see YouTube from here, but assuming you are referring to The Mighty Boosh, then I have it on good authority that JT once received a copy of their original radio series on CD (still their best work), and you can see it on the shelves in one of those zoomy gigapan (?) photos on the website, so anything is possible :P

513X3QKZZHL.jpg

[Howard and Vince have a meeting with a record executive]

Vince Noir: You better start getting the magic potions out, Mowgli, or we're gonna hurt you.

Naboo: All right, hang on.

[he hands them each a glass of yellow liquid]

Naboo: This is Liquid Music.

Howard Moon: What's in it?

Naboo: The tears of Mozart...

[they both drink it down]

Naboo: ...mixed with the urine of Mark Knopfler.

[Howard and Vince make a face]

Howard Moon: How long does it last?

Naboo: Three hours. Quick, you better hurry!

[they leave fast]

Bollo: Truly, Master, you are a wise man. Do you think they will succeed?

Naboo: Don't think so - that was Lucozade.

The Spirit of Jazz: I'm gonna creep inside you like a warm kitten!

Howard Moon: The wind is my only friend.

Wind: [whistling] I hate you.

Vince: It's impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.

Lucian: Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.

In Rainbows is my second favorite Radiohead album. HTTT has so much potential to be my number one Radiohead album, but it has too much filler.

In summation, I strongly disagree about your views on Radiohead's recent stuff.

A Radiohead/Wilco tour would be awesome, but two massive and loyal fanbases fighting for prime tickets wouldn't be pretty. I know there's a fair bit of overlap, but still.

I do enjoy In Rainbows, but Hail..., they just needed to cut that one down a bit, you are right it could have been an awesome record, but as it is I can hardly sit through it, some of my favorite Radiohead songs are on there, kind of frustrating record actually. I found Harry Patch interesting at first listen, but it just never grew on me, makes me wonder about the direction they are going in.

Let's be honest, Radiohead is huge, they play stadiums and arenas, Wilco (thankfully) play theaters and minor league ball parks, Wilco fans would me a huge minority at those shows.

Something I do find interesting is the amount Wilco fans that are into Radiohead, however it doesn't work the other way around, not too many Radiohead fans I know that are into (or even heard of) Wilco. Enter Wilco in Pandora and the occasional Radiohead song comes on, enter Radiohead and there are no Wilco songs.

But you're happy dictating where this thread goes and passing judgments on its posts?

I enjoy discussing where the new album might go too, which is why I am, see - but I think it's impossible for someone to discuss where something might go without bringing up where they are or where they've been. You agree with me, otherwise you wouldn't have brought up how you like W(TA), the Mavis record, and how you're over 8 minute drones. That's passing judgement, both good and bad, on what they've done before. I don't think anyone has said, "Wilco MUST do this" in their thread, but we've certainly posted the same wishlists you've put in your first post - it's just that some people's wishlists are different from, or the antithesis, or yours.

The "you don't agree with me, therefore you must not be a fan, teehee" bit has been done before with the same results. People who like a band, nay - love a band, even - can dislike its present, past, or bits of each. That's like implying someone doesn't like a friend because of the things they dislike in that friend. If my friend wrote the songs on SBS I wouldn't end the friendship, I just might feign a cold on his or her open mike nights.

you're not allowed to talk in this thread anymore until you understand what "intersting backing vocals" means! :P

Can't see YouTube from here, but assuming you are referring to The Mighty Boosh, then I have it on good authority that JT once received a copy of their original radio series on CD (still their best work), and you can see it on the shelves in one of those zoomy gigapan (?) photos on the website, so anything is possible :P

i am indeed referring to the mighty boosh! :thumbup tweedy's a fan, eh? i knew i liked that guy for some reason. i have never heard these cds...so i will have to check them out. i would have also like to have witnessed their traveling show. are these guys up to anything these days? i heard, at some point, that they were considering a boosh movie, but...(here's where i pull it full circle)...maybe, tweedy and the boosh are collaborating and that's why we haven't heard new material from both for a while.

(i kid about the collaboration...although new material from both, respectively, would be the kitty's pjs.)

are these guys up to anything these days? i heard, at some point, that they were considering a boosh movie

There is this by the same team and with a similar sense of humour, in which each of them has a small part:-

http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Bunny-and-the-Bull/137562/

Can't actually guarantee it as I have not seen it myself yet.

Nothing I know of as the Boosh - which may be for the best: leave them wanting more and all that. Noel pops up on TV comedy panel shows and is more of a celeb/Camden socialite - though I find him much less funny on his own: he needs someone to spark off of. Julian has much less of a high profile. Very occasionally bit parts in other stuff. Perhaps he spends all his time writing for others now. Don't know ...

Do check out the radio series - some overlap with the first TV series, but they could go much further without being limited to actually having to present visuals for where their minds wandered.

the last series of the mighty boosh was terrible, and the tours they do look pretty awful - but, then i don't like that kind of comedy tour, it lacks all subtlety.

bunny and the bull is pretty good, worth checking out.

the best thing julian has ever been in is Nathan Barley, actually noel is in that too . . .

"this one's really workin'! the best bits in about an hour and a half" :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZBWLs8owE&feature=related

if people in america like the mighty boosh, i'd recommend The IT Crowd - that seems to be getting better from series to series, whilst the mighty boosh is getting worse.

if you people don't stop talking about Radiohead Jeff probably won't make another album. ever.

I was about to say something similar. I didn't know Wilco and Radiohead were still connected in people's minds or any other way.

Anyone wanting a copy of OK Computer (my only Radiohead album) can write me and I will send it to them.

LouieB

Little blurb in Spin. No shocking revelations, outside of the fact that they apparently haven't really done jack shit yet. :shifty

http://www.spin.com/articles/wilco-prepping-new-album

The Spin article makes it sound like the writing will be done collaboratively. This will be a change from W(TA) as apparently Tweedy took in a bunch of completed songs. Bodes well for a bigger experimental presence from Nels and Glenn. Or not.