Wilco to return to MASSMoCA for Solid Sound #2

Because it's an expensive town with two hotels (which are both already sold out) and not enough restaurants to support the number of people the festival will draw that's almost two hours from even regional airports and train stations. Last year was terrific, but there are plenty of more accessible places they could have tried this year. If you're not psychic and already booked a room, you're already pretty much screwed. I'm stressed out about logistics already and the dates haven't even been announced.

The hotel situation is a problem but the food was really great at the festival so it didn't really matter to me that there weren't alot of options in town. The venue is really, really wonderful and the townspeople were so cool about everything, so I'm happy it's there again.

I agree that it's also nice that it takes a bit of an effort to get there which I think contributed to the overall good feeling of the event. Everyone that was there really wanted to be there. Also, the drive is beautiful and you start to get in a good mood even before you arrive.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a great setting, imo...the capacity of the inside venue made things a bit cramped (esp when rain forced some shows indoors), but the outside courtyard and fields were perfect. and as noted above, the food options on site were pretty solid (let's hope for a better beer selection next year...).

one thing i just realized is that the 24th is the last day of school for my kids, assuming no snow days...hmmm...

i do get that it's out of the way for people who don't live in the northeast, but isn't that generally true for bonnaroo and coachella? i have never been to either, so i might be way offbase.

were you @ Savoy Mt? I stayed there last year and it was great. I just called and they are sold out for that weekend. Damn, where there a lot of speculators snapping up reservations left and right???

I think it was the Historic Valley Campground, the people were real cool there, and plenty of people (not me) walked from there to the Mass MoCA, it's about a 2 minute drive. They are closed until sometime next year.

Anybody else weirded out that no dates have been announced and yet people are booking hotels like crazy?

I was thinking the same thing but when I sensed that there might be no place left to stay if I waited for confirmation, I booked a room. There is no charge to cancel if the date falls through. Didn't someone post that they had booked every weekend in August at some hotel?

As for the venue, you couldn't ask for a better place for what Wilco presented the festival attendees last year. Open court yards, art galleries and space for exhibits, an indoor theater, and the meadow for the big stage acts. There's plenty of room to move around, the food was good, the beer was reasonably priced, and there were spigots for free water. Members of all the bands, including Wilco, were walking around when not performing and didn't seem put out by folks asking them for photos, a quick greeting or a brief word or two. The village is situated in a beautiful valley and the townsfolk were friendly. It took me a month or so to get myself mentally back to the grind of work everyday after the experience. I know this will sound corny, but Christ, the only thing I could envision better than that weekend with Wilco, for me anyway, would have been a similar but impossible dream event like that, put on by someone like the Beatles or CSNY back in the day. It was pretty freakin cool. It was not your typical rock festival. Let's hope it stays that way.

I was thinking the same thing but when I sensed that there might be no place left to stay if I waited for confirmation, I booked a room. There is no charge to cancel if the date falls through. Didn't someone post that they had booked every weekend in August at some hotel?

As for the venue, you couldn't ask for a better place for what Wilco presented the festival attendees last year. Open court yards, art galleries and space for exhibits, an indoor theater, and the meadow for the big stage acts. There's plenty of room to move around, the food was good, the beer was reasonably priced, and there were spigots for free water. Members of all the bands, including Wilco, were walking around when not performing and didn't seem put out by folks asking them for photos, a quick greeting or a brief word or two. The village is situated in a beautiful valley and the townsfolk were friendly. It took me a month or so to get myself mentally back to the grind of work everyday after the experience. I know this will sound corny, but Christ, the only thing I could envision better than that weekend with Wilco, for me anyway, would have been a similar but impossible dream event like that, put on by someone like the Beatles or CSNY back in the day. It was pretty freakin cool. It was not your typical rock festival. Let's hope it stays that way.

I agree whole heartedly with your sentiment, however, I have a weird feeling that last year was a one shot deal, and this year it will be packed like other festivals, the dates aren't even announced yet and the town is booked, half of Pittsfield is book already.

Maybe I'm relaxed because I live here :cheers

I often drive two or three hours for shows that are worthwhile so hey, once in awhile, everyone else can come here right? If you're not worried about driving a bit you could stay in the amazing town of Northampton, MA. It's an hour away but if last year was any indication it's very easy to get in/out of town.

Northampton has everything you'd ever want in a cool multi-college town. Just another thought . . .

Because it's an expensive town with two hotels (which are both already sold out) and not enough restaurants to support the number of people the festival will draw that's almost two hours from even regional airports and train stations. Last year was terrific, but there are plenty of more accessible places they could have tried this year. If you're not psychic and already booked a room, you're already pretty much screwed. I'm stressed out about logistics already and the dates haven't even been announced.

What's expensive about it? If you can get a room at the Holiday Inn, it's no more expensive than hotels I've booked to see Wilco elsewhere. You can eat a five dollar meal at Jack's. This is not one of those old money Berkshire towns, hence the mill where the festival is held.

I can understand your frustration in the limited accommodations but that makes the city small, not affluent or pricey.

Because it's an expensive town with two hotels (which are both already sold out) and not enough restaurants to support the number of people the festival will draw that's almost two hours from even regional airports and train stations.

Try Albany airport. It's about an hour drive.

Awwee hell here we go again. I think I have to be in for this. I'm a day late you crazy fools have booked up the whole town already...save the campgrounds I hope.? I'll be giving them a call tomorrow unless I decide to live it up and stay at a B & B or something.

This is going to be another expensive flight and I somehow have to pull this off a month after I go to Spain for Primavera Sound?! Ugh life is rough lol.

Someone mentioned Coachella and Bonnaroo. Coachella gets a lot of people from So. Cal but it does pull from all over the country, it is a destination festival just as Bonnaroo is.

It's definitely not an expensive event, all things considered. Yes, there aren't many hotel rooms in North Adams proper, but within a 7-10 mile radius there were plenty in the under $150/night range. I understand the camping was good as well, and definitely affordable. Plus there was shuttle transportation, parking was included with your pass last year (I think), and there were lots of inexpensive restaurants around. The whole town could not have been friendlier or more welcoming. And the tickets were just ridiculously cheap for an entire weekend, IMO.

Edit: Oh, and re whether it's going to turn into a madhouse this year. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I have a feeling that this festival will remain Wilco-centric, which means that there will be a dedicated, hardcore following, but it won't balloon all out of proportion. If you remember, there was a total frenzy early on last year as well, but as the event got closer there started to be some people changing their plans, some rooms opened up, and in the end the event didn't even sell out. Maybe this year it will sell out --it should, dammit!--but still, I suspect it won't be a mob scene.

Edited by Wilco Me

My concern is the crowd was a perfect size last year. I feel if it sells out it's going to feel a bit over crowded. We'll see how it all goes though. I really liked every aspect of the fest last year from the venue to the city and people. It was nice to camp as well.

My concern is the crowd was a perfect size last year. I feel if it sells out it's going to feel a bit over crowded. We'll see how it all goes though. I really liked every aspect of the fest last year from the venue to the city and people. It was nice to camp as well.

if there are more people, they need to figure out a better system for funneling people from the gift shop/lobby area out into the patio/deck/courtyard area.

if there are more people, they need to figure out a better system for funneling people from the gift shop/lobby area out into the patio/deck/courtyard area.

My only problem with last year was the indoor Hunter Center. It was just too small to fit all of the people who wanted to get in there and all of the shuffling was distracting. Perhaps they will schedule a few things at the same time to break up the crowd this time around.

Agreed.

So, I just called about a camping reservation for Windsor Lake Campground where I camped last year and the lady says "no reservations for 2011 until January".

I was looking into some bed and breakfasts too and while they aren't all that expensive, they are most likely still out of my budget. The campground was perfect last year and part of the fun so i'm going to wait and stay there again.

Agreed.

So, I just called about a camping reservation for Windsor Lake Campground where I camped last year and the lady says "no reservations for 2011 until January".

I was looking into some bed and breakfasts too and while they aren't all that expensive, they are most likely still out of my budget. The campground was perfect last year and part of the fun so i'm going to wait and stay there again.

I think this is the same place as Historic Valley Campground, either way I stayed there last year too. It was suppose to be the quite campground with no music and stuff, I think they threw those rules out the window, not that it was too loud or anything, but we had music going all weekend, and there was plenty off drinking and stuff too, a good time was had by all. I was talking to the lady and she was raving about how nice Wilco fans were, I guess the residents there had a bit of a concern over us, but they all loved it.

January 18th, 2011 for Official Announcement and Ticket Info

- Captain Obvous for those of you who were fast enough to link it up... :pirate

I will make this one.

Edit: I think a 2 hour window designated for a "mass" paintball experience is called for this year. Laser tag works too.... :ninja

Bonus points for getting Nels.

What Sparky says!