Wilco to return to MASSMoCA for Solid Sound #2

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, Wilco Friday and Saturday, however no Tweedy set? And now no Sonic Youth.

And in the new site, when you go to photos, you see my wife and I in the Glenn photo.

Guest Speed Racer

That man-boob "soul" band is coming? Does that mean we can expect SS bras and bros at the merch table this year? I haven't heard anything but their cover of IATTBYH, so I sure hope that's not the best they have up their sleeves...

Oh my God, this is unbelievable. A GIANT step up from last year, and that was the peak experience of my life! Where to begin?

Other than Wilco, I'm most excited about Levon Helm, Thurston Moore (can't wait to see what he's doing with Nels!) and the Handsome Family, but also Liam Finn. And Wyatt Cenac and John Hodgman? And JC Brooks--you just know there'll be some interplay with Jeff there.

Holy crap. :w00t I'm gonna have to bring a couple of clones to take it all in!!

Levon Helm is huge, that should be incredible.

Is he playing mainly Band classics or is there new material?

I will pretty much guarantee right now that Levon's set closes with The Weight. But he's got a couple of relatively recent solo records, so they usually do stuff off of those as well as some traditionals and a couple of Band songs (Cripple Creek, etc.)

I'd say a bigger question is how much Levon will actually sing. I'd like to see more of that, but I guess it depends on how his voice is doing. His band, led by Larry Campbell, is very good.

Guest Speed Racer

Glenn's solo shows are amazing - simply stunning. Anyone attending really work to get a clear line of sight to see what he's doing. It's like watching a man morph into an octopus and then back again afterward.

I will pretty much guarantee right now that Levon's set closes with The Weight. But he's got a couple of relatively recent solo records, so they usually do stuff off of those as well as some traditionals and a couple of Band songs (Cripple Creek, etc.)

I'd say a bigger question is how much Levon will actually sing. I'd like to see more of that, but I guess it depends on how his voice is doing. His band, led by Larry Campbell, is very good.

I'd say something like this. His set in KC last summerwent something like that.

I'd say something like this. His set in KC last summerwent something like that.

I had the great pleasure of attending one of Levon's Midnight Rambles at his barn a few months back, when My Morning Jacket opened and luminaries like Donald Fagen joined Levon's band on stage. Lots of great music from some of the best players on the planet. We're definitely in for a treat...

Lineup looks great, I don't know many of these artists so this will give me a chance to check out some new music while I wait for June.

Is there really going to be no Tweedy solo set?

Also is alcohol allowed at the Solid Ground tent site? Is it walking distance from MassMOCA? Are any of you fine people going to be at the tenting area?

I didn't want to mention earlier, but I was in contact with Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion on their facebook page where they told me a month or so ago that they would probably be at Solid Sound. That post has since been removed, but I'm glad that they made it through.

Very excited about Thurston. Hoping to see him walking around the festival because I could totally see him doing that. Liam Finn is also a perfect choice. Holy shit and Levon Helm! God damn I'm happy about this lineup.

I'll come right out and admit that I'm more excited for Pillow Wand and Glenn's solo performance than I am for Wilco's sets. I was expecting the Singers and On Fillmore again and definitely would've enjoyed both, but I'm thrilled to get to see/hear Nels and Glenn doing things I haven't had the chance to before. I think that's really in the spirit of what this festival should be--celebrating all the other creative things these guys do besides being in a band together.

Now that we know Thurston is part of the festival, I'd love to see Ecstatic Peace's press do some kind of reading or zine or something. It was odd to me last year that every art form was represented at the festival besides literature, especially since Jeff has published a book and it seems like they're pretty avid readers.

The line-up looks fantastic! Two nights of Wilco sounds great to me. I remember hearing plenty of complaints last year because they were only headlining one night of their own festival, so now we're getting two full shows plus the rest of the line-up for under $100? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. (As for a solo set, maybe Jeff wants to spend more time in the dunk tank this year and knows his voice won't survive it.)

I'm curious to see what changes the city of North Adams makes for 2011. I hope someone at least talks to the management at the Holiday Inn restaurant so we aren't booted off the patio at midnight on Sunday.

Also, will there be a beer announcement? I don't want any of that non-local, Magic Hat bullshit like last year. :ninja