Wilco to return to MASSMoCA for Solid Sound #2

Great news on two shows by Wilco at Solid Sound! This is the tipping point for me. Let's see, me and 4 kids - $348.50. That is doable for a weekend of Wilco and more. Now to find a campsite that is not too far away (but is not on a 15 X 18 foot plot and allows no fires - can't see the Solid Ground Camping as a great experience). Can't wait for June!

I was able to reserve a site yesterday at Historic Valley/Windsor Lake for $89 for 3 nights on a large "RV site" with electric. They have two serviceable bathhouses ... nothing fancy, but fine by me ... and a little store that sells ice and firewood.

http://www.northadams-ma.gov/index.php?nav_id=62

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think so. If the countdown clock is accurate, the festivities begin Friday at 5:00. Seems like that would be in line with a Friday night Wilco show. While the Tweedy show solo was so beautiful last year, it was kind of a weird way to end such an extravagant weekend. It felt odd to just walk away from all that. I hope they do something this year to put some closure on things, iike maybe a group hug or something. Something to help us come down from it all.

That's funny, I thought the Tweedy set was a *perfect* way to end the weekend, a cloudy, lazy summer Sunday afternoon with Tweedy, all his acoustic guitars and friends. I felt perfect walking out of there. Not that I had "had enough" by any means, but I remember feeling quite nice.

That's funny, I thought the Tweedy set was a *perfect* way to end the weekend, a cloudy, lazy summer Sunday afternoon with Tweedy, all his acoustic guitars and friends. I felt perfect walking out of there. Not that I had "had enough" by any means, but I remember feeling quite nice.

this

it should be a good time!

this

it should be a good time!

Yep, I felt the same way. It seemed like a perfect way to conclude the festival, with Jeff solo, then being joined by various other performers from the weekend, then the rest of Wilco to finish off. (Sans Glenn, of course--hopefully, there's no baby-on-the-way problem this time around!)

Oh believe you me, I felt very nice. Everything was perfect. There was just such a sense of collective awe and wonderment from all involved, bands and participants and volunteers, about how amazingly cool it all was. How could it possibly have been so perfectly cool? I walked floated away with a shimmer and a shit-eating grin, realizing I had just experienced something very special, that we all did. I think maybe I just felt like I needed to be debriefed about it all or something. Maybe a tattoo parlor on the way out is what I'm looking for.

Oh believe you me, I felt very nice. Everything was perfect. There was just such a sense of collective awe and wonderment from all involved, bands and participants and volunteers, about how amazingly cool it all was. How could it possibly have been so perfectly cool? I walked floated away with a shimmer and a shit-eating grin, realizing I had just experienced something very special, that we all did. I think maybe I just felt like I needed to be debriefed about it all or something. Maybe a tattoo parlor on the way out is what I'm looking for.

Perfectly said.

Perfectly said.

~~

It’s just like if Wilco invited you over to their house to hang out on a sunny late summer afternoon. You know it would be some cool, funked out industrial playground of a space. Art everywhere. Their generous and fun-loving spirit would make you feel right at home but at the same time you’d be awestruck at your dumb luck. Nels would be stringing together some noisy loop of pedals in the basement and he’d let you play with them. Glenn would be tricking out these crazy drum heads and would want to show you how they work. You’d eat falafel and drink beer. Mikael would tell jokes and tinkle around on the piano, filling the space. You’d wander into a room and find John strumming and singing pretty melodies. At some point, Pat would whip out his photo albums and show you his beautiful Polaroids. There'd be new music to explore - record players, headphones, stacks of vinyl. They'd be psyched to turn you on to their new favorite bands. You'd watch old movies. There'd be ice cream. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, Jeff would lure everyone out into the backyard and turn the hose on ‘em – all for a good cause, of course. Then, as the afternoon turned to dusk and the blue sky faded to a purple bruise, they would gild this lily of a day by rocking your socks off. You’d be totally blissed out, realizing you fell in love with the right band, a band that loves you back, a band that makes you feel like you belong right there with them. Then you’d get to sleep over, top bunk, and do it all again the next day. And at the end of it all, you’d have no idea how to thank them for showing you the time of your life.

~~

~~

It’s just like if Wilco invited you over to their house to hang out on a sunny late summer afternoon. You know it would be some cool, funked out industrial playground of a space. Art everywhere. Their generous and fun-loving spirit would make you feel right at home but at the same time you’d be awestruck at your dumb luck. Nels would be stringing together some noisy loop of pedals in the basement and he’d let you play with them. Glenn would be tricking out these crazy drum heads and would want to show you how they work. You’d eat falafel and drink beer. Mikael would tell jokes and tinkle around on the piano, filling the space. You’d wander into a room and find John strumming and singing pretty melodies. At some point, Pat would whip out his photo albums and show you his beautiful Polaroids. There'd be new music to explore - record players, headphones, stacks of vinyl. They'd be psyched to turn you on to their new favorite bands. You'd watch old movies. There'd be ice cream. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, Jeff would lure everyone out into the backyard and turn the hose on ‘em – all for a good cause, of course. Then, as the afternoon turned to dusk and the blue sky faded to a purple bruise, they would gild this lily of a day by rocking your socks off. You’d be totally blissed out, realizing you fell in love with the right band, a band that loves you back, a band that makes you feel like you belong right there with them. Then you’d get to sleep over, top bunk, and do it all again the next day. And at the end of it all, you’d have no idea how to thank them for showing you the time of your life.

~~

Yep, you're right. You said it perfectly then, and I remember reading this comment to friends of mine, to try to convey to them what that weekend felt like. You have definitely got a way with words.

And by the way, that tattoo idea has possibilities. I would definitely get myself "branded" as a SSF veteran!

Wilco's Facebook status response regarding a schedule:

Wilco

schedule being worked out as we type. Some details forthcoming soon but trust us... it's gonna be great.

Tuesday at 2:04pm

Nothing huge, but it was nice to see them (obviously not Tweedy but someone working for the band) respond to that question in that manner.

Here's a Google Map link to where the campgrounds will "probably" be. I say "probably" because all we have is a description of being "south of joe wolfe field". You can see MASSMoCA and the baseball field on this shot - if not Zoom in/out a bit. Yes, there is a huge open field there as well as parking in the area that generally accommodates parking for the baseball games.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=north+adams,+ma&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=42.631141,88.066406&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=North+Adams,+Berkshire,+Massachusetts&ll=42.697088,-73.113542&spn=0.009699,0.021501&t=h&z=16

Pretty much an open field (no trees, shelter etc) but very close / convenient.

Hey all. FIrst post here.

Unless I did something wrong, the presale tickets were gone in a bout 8 seconds. I purchased at 10:32am and they were gone already. Bummer. Anyway, very excited for Solid Sound II. Last year was really special.

Hi Tim! Nice to log in and immediately see a friendly face.

Hey all. FIrst post here.

Unless I did something wrong, the presale tickets were gone in a bout 8 seconds. I purchased at 10:32am and they were gone already. Bummer. Anyway, very excited for Solid Sound II. Last year was really special.

Hi Tim! Nice to log in and immediately see a friendly face.

hey Beebs, welcome!

Got a pair of early early bird tickets at the 2010 price. Saved about $25 bucks.

Tip: don't try to guess your password. Have them email you a new one!

I know, I was on the phone with them all morning, counting down the minutes, for some reason I get every piece of email from them except a new passowrd! I run my own mail server and I know I'm not blocking their mail. I ended up with a new account using a Yahoo account which he said he linked to my old account, I got in at exactly 10:30, and "early worm" 2010 prices were sold out, but I got 5 tickets at regular "early worm" prices, but it not about the money, right, because I'M IN BABY!!!!!!!