Wilco to return to MASSMoCA for Solid Sound #2

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats with the baseball at Solid Sound? I got this message from Wilco HQ

Greetings,

Wow. Suddenly, we're just a few weeks away from Solid Sound 2011. School's out, temperature's up (here comes "ad copy") and so are our hopes that you're gonna make the trek to the Berkshires to spend the weekend with us. Well us and a few others, like Levon Helm, Thurston Moore, John Hodgman and of course Wilco. Tix for the weekend + single day tickets are still available. There's bus transport via Peter Pan from NYC & Boston and we're down to our last 30 Solid Ground campsites. So, pray tell, where are you gonna spend the first weekend of summer 2011? At home contemplating all the stuff you should be getting done, listening to the drone of the AC and TV or with us enjoying 3 days of world-class contemporary art, fresh mountain air, comedy, baseball, falconry (yep), and great music? You make the call. Tickets are here: http://ow.ly/5ctBw

Quick synopsis. June 24-26, Mass MoCA, North Adams, MA. 26 musical acts & comedians. 20 Solid Sound exhibits. Virtually all new museum exhibits. New Wilco tunes (including a new 7" single). Wilco 2x gigs. A Pop-up record shop by our friends at Euclid Records. An onsite low-power FM radio station. Falconry. Great local food & drink. All coheadlining with the best location for a festival we've ever seen (and we've seen quite a few).

The HQ Staff

Ps. Photo courtesy of the Solid Sound Photo Contest... Final voting ends tomorrow night: http://ow.ly/5ctDB

Also my picture i submitted for the spring photo contest and that was chosen as a finalist was attached to my email! :-) not sure if it was random, or it was because it was my entry.

entry_browse_999_1.jpg

Also my picture i submitted for the spring photo contest and that was chosen as a finalist was attached to my email! :-) not sure if it was random, or it was because it was my entry.

Nope, that picture was attached to the email I got as well. Nice work! :thumbup

I have no idea about the baseball. Maybe they're planning some kind of morning kids games? I have to wonder, with all the other activities going on, who would be thinking of baseball???

I don't know about the baseball, but I love your photo, David! :cheers

If I remember right there's a minor league club that plays very near the museum and I think they are playing a game (or two) that weekend.

Great picture, btw.

If I remember right there's a minor league club that plays very near the museum and I think they are playing a game (or two) that weekend.

Great picture, btw.

Found it! The North Adams Steeplecats, witch are a team in a summer collegiate league, play host to The New Port Gulls at Joe Wolf field (not sure if it's named after the same Joe as Mass Moca's Joe) But It's a 15 min walk south from Wilco World aka Mass Moca. It's $1 hot dog night and the game time is 6:30.

Sure would be cool if Nels plugged in and gave us his version of the National Anthem before the game. :worship

My link

Thanks for the "likes" on my photo. :) It was fun creating. My whole family helped with the carving. And now the "Wilco stump" will greet everyone that gets out of my drive way, walking to the front door of my house for a very long time. :yes

It's not the same Joe. The baseball field is adjacent to the Solid Sound tent site (Noel Field):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Noel+Field+01247&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.426353,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=Noel+Field&hnear=North+Adams,+Massachusetts+01247&ll=42.693287,-73.111782&spn=0.006719,0.013797&t=h&z=16

The bigger diamond is Joe Wolfe field, the home of the Steeple Cats.

What a great weather forecast! It's still a little ways off, but if that holds up it'll be wonderful.B)

Speaking of wonderful, here's an article about Tony Margherita and Solid Sound. There's some good information in it, and he seems like such a nice guy. Also, did everyone else know that he's married to Deb Bernardini, who handles PR for Wilco? That was news to me.

What a great weather forecast! It's still a little ways off, but if that holds up it'll be wonderful.B)

Speaking of wonderful, here's an article about Tony Margherita and Solid Sound. There's some good information in it, and he seems like such a nice guy. Also, did everyone else know that he's married to Deb Bernardini, who handles PR for Wilco? That was news to me.

Nice interview, now I understand why Dave Douglas is playing Solid Sound. Margherita needs to book him in Chicago more often.

I have your photo as my desktop pic at work! My boss walked by a few days ago and goes "Is that your backyard?", I said nope, to which he replied "You have a problem".

I have your photo as my desktop pic at work! My boss walked by a few days ago and goes "Is that your backyard?", I said nope, to which he replied "You have a problem".

:blush if it's suggested you have a problem and it's only on your desk top, consider what a therapist might suggest my issues are! After all i did spend two weeks carving the stump in my front yard! :blink .

Seriously though I'm glad your enjoying it. My 10 year old daughter who is starting to become more interested in photography then the Disney Channel helped a lot with the project. I just ordered a 24X18 poster of it for her birthday for her to hang in her room. :dancing

Speaking of wonderful, here's an article about Tony Margherita and Solid Sound.

Totally agree with Tony that Syl Johnson's set is gonna be something to see, for sure. The Sweet Divines are a cool girl group and if, as I suspect, the band is the same one that backed Syl last December in Brooklyn, that's going to be some show before Wilco plays. Looking forward to it! :thumbup

So.... Joe's field opens when the venue opens. I've got mixed feelings about this. It seems crazy to sit there all day, and unfair to put a chair down to reserve a spot. Speaking hypothetically... is it fair to assume that people won't congregate until the usual 1-2hrs before showtime?

What is nice is that there won't be that mad dash to the front. That was dangerous last year.

So.... Joe's field opens when the venue opens. I've got mixed feelings about this. It seems crazy to sit there all day, and unfair to put a chair down to reserve a spot. Speaking hypothetically... is it fair to assume that people won't congregate until the usual 1-2hrs before showtime?

What is nice is that there won't be that mad dash to the front. That was dangerous last year.

I'm guessing the area near the stage will still be off-limits until close to showtime but most of the field will open throughout the day.

Also it looks like there's some exhibits and stuff going on there during the day (I saw something about being able to play catch with the local ballclub, maybe the falconry?).

So while it will be open maybe they'll be discouraging people from getting too "set up".

so I'm a little pissed. Booked my room at the Williamstown motel back in Feb, and didn't think much of it until I called today to confirm. Turns out they they said they sent me a bill in the mail to pre-pay all 3 nights in advance, and since they didn't receive payment, they cancelled my reservation and had no rooms for me. I never received a bill in the mail, an email, or a call about any of this. And who pre-pays for a hotel stay?

Of course the guy on the phone directed me to another available room at a neighboring motel, for more money of course. This all reeks of poo.

Anyways, it's not going to diminish my excitement for this weekend, let's go!

the forecast is getting worse unfortunately, looks like rain is in the cards...

Yeah, looks like we'll probably get a little wet. But scattered thunderstorms can mean mainly sunny, with widely scattered, brief cloudbursts. That can be refreshing! And Sunday looks really good.

That's the optimistic viewpoint, of course, but no reason not to be. However, my hooded rain jacket is packed, along with my indestructible concert sandals.

so I'm a little pissed. Booked my room at the Williamstown motel back in Feb, and didn't think much of it until I called today to confirm. Turns out they they said they sent me a bill in the mail to pre-pay all 3 nights in advance, and since they didn't receive payment, they cancelled my reservation and had no rooms for me. I never received a bill in the mail, an email, or a call about any of this. And who pre-pays for a hotel stay?

Of course the guy on the phone directed me to another available room at a neighboring motel, for more money of course. This all reeks of poo.

Anyways, it's not going to diminish my excitement for this weekend, let's go!

uh-oh...

that's where I'm reserved, I'd better make some confirmation inquiries.

"I've got reservations"