Wilco to return to MASSMoCA for Solid Sound #2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be Neil. It says new project, and I'm pretty sure he's doing a new project with his wife, called pajama party.

Wilco and Neil are my two favs. I loved the festival last year, spewing I can't go this year. Unfortunately having s difficult pregnancy in another country REALLY rules that out. Instead Im on bed rest being taunted with emails about the line up.

Hey everyone!!!

Are any New York City Wilco fans going to this? Is there an easy way to get there train-wise? The directions off their website seem too complicated.

Thanks!

I took the train last year. The closest Amtrak station is Albany-Rensselaer, about 40 miles west of MassMOCA. You can take a cab across the river and rent a car in town. There's supposed to be a car rental agency at the Amtrak station, but they have limited hours and seemed deserted last year.

Correction: The Pittsfield Amtrak station is closer to North Adams, but it's a 7 hour trip from NYC to Pittsfield via Amtrak. NYC to Albany is only about 2 1/2.

Edited by Heart full of holes

Thank you!

I took the train last year. The closest Amtrak station is Albany-Rensselaer, about 40 miles west of MassMOCA. You can take a cab across the river and rent a car in town. There's supposed to be a car rental agency at the Amtrak station, but they have limited hours and seemed deserted last year.

Correction: The Pittsfield Amtrak station is closer to North Adams, but it's a 7 hour trip from NYC to Pittsfield via Amtrak. NYC to Albany is only about 2 1/2.

Just got announced from the Finn side, it is Pajama Party, Neils project with his wife Sharon. It will be quite the Finn family affair, with Liam also playing at the festival and I think his brother is his drummer (who was actually roadie for the National in Auckland - small world).

i was hoping that the Neil was Young, not Finn.

If that was true, these ticket prices would be a steal considering what it costs to see Neil Young play these days...crying shame if you ask me. "Cough up the bucks, cough up the bucks!"
  • 2 weeks later...

"Singer Jeff Tweedy and his Wilco bandmates stage their second Solid Sound Festival 2.0 at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Arts in North Adams, June 24-26. Among the 18 acts are former The Band leader Levon Helm, soul singer Syl Johnson, Sonic Youth guitarist Thurston Moore and jazz trumpeter Dave Douglas.

"We always talked about how much fun it would be if we could play together with all of these other entities," says Tweedy, who adds that the festival is small enough that fans don't have to worry about musical sets overlapping."

USA Today link The article goes on to mention other band curated festivals including Dave Matthews, Phish, Disco Biscuits and The Roots.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilco has just posted two videos on YouTube. One announces a story writing contest (for kids) for the Story Pirates to perform at Solid Sound this year. I don't think the video is posted yet at the Solid sound website, but you can go to YouTube and search for videos uploaded by Wilco.

The other is Monday, taken from the Ashes DVD. I guess that was just a playful little nod to the day of the week. Nice Wilco!

• 3 weeks later...

I found these the other night at my Newbury Comics. I'm assuming a lot of local "indie" record stores should have these over the next month.

They even had a nice poster on the front door.

It's a nice cardboard glossy material. It's pretty big, so much so that some of it got clipped off. Pardon my white t-shirt (it's May). It's tough to get light here, since we haven't had any sun for well over a week.

At the bottom is a pic of Jeff in The Dunk Booth, Glenn doing his exhibit, and Nels doing his.

I also like the lineup and the blurbs about each act on the back. It's pretty nice and a welcome surprise. I didn't see anything like this last year.

Photo 39.jpg

Photo 42.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I came across the following press release for the festival while looking for info on the film shorts being presented. I was surprised to find this .PDF file via google search and nowhere on the Solid Sound official site. In it is some nice information about 7 New exhibits and other stuff that may not be known that I will highlight. *(update: OK. The exhibits are listed on the site, but not much info is given unlike in this press release.)

Solid Sound Press Release PDF

May 22, 2011

SOLID SOUND FESTIVAL NEWS: SINGLE DAY TICKETS, CHARTER BUS TRANSPORTATION, PLUS WILCO PRESENTS SEVEN NEW EXHIBITS

The Solid Sound Festival is now offering single-day tickets for the fastapproaching three-day gathering of music, art, comedy and community in the scenic Berkshire mountains. (Three day all-festival passes are also still available.) Solid Sound takes place June 24 – June 26 at MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA and features two headlining concerts by Wilco, plus 18 bands including Levon Helm, Thurston Moore, Syl Johnston, Dave Douglas, Neil Finn, Liam Finn, Jamie Lidell, Wilco side projects, special pop-up performances and more, plus a comedy cabaret hosted by John Hodgman and featuring Wyatt Cenac, Eugene Mirman and Morgan Murphy. In addition to full three-day festival passes ($124.50), Friday and Sunday single-day tickets are $65.00 and Saturday single-day tickets are $78.00 (including all fees). All tickets and complete daily schedules are available through solidsoundfestival.com.

The Solid Sound Festival has teamed up with Peter Pan Bus Lines to offer transportation services directly to and from the festival from New York City and Boston. NYC bus will depart from midtown Manhattan and Boston bus will depart from the Woburn Park & Ride on Friday afternoon and go directly to the festival grounds. Buses will return to New York City and Boston on Sunday evening. Full details on pricing, reservations and ticketing are available by clicking the “Getting There” tab on the solidsoundfestival.com homepage.

Members of Wilco, acting as curators, will present seven new exhibits for this year’s festival including The Impossible Exhibition, a project that utilizes the last remaining Polaroid film to reinvent instant film. Select festival-goers and musicians including Wilco’s Pat Sansone will create a growing exhibit utilizing the reinvented film. Other Wilcopresented exhibits include Fly On The Wall: Sounds from the making of Wilco LP 08 and Gunnar Schonbeck’s Wonderments and the inGLENNtions, an exhibition of oversized but workable instruments with new instrument creations by Wilco’s Glenn Kotche and Darin Gray of On Fillmore.

Solid Sound also features live Falconry with Chris Davis of New England Falconry, Solid Sound Radio courtesy of The Numero Group, a short film series with films selected by MASS MoCA, Wilco and Toronto’s Smiley Guy Studios, a Euclid Records pop-up, an updated Wilco poster retrospective, an onsite screen-printing demonstration, Story Pirates, Lava, the Bureau for Open Culture, local food, a dunk tank for charity and much more.

The Solid Sound Festival is envisioned by Wilco and presented in collaboration with MASS MoCA, America’s largest contemporary art museum. Festival attendees have full access to the entire, sprawling museum campus, which incorporates 150,000 square feet of galleries and includes Kidspace, a museum within the museum, designed especially for children and families. This year Kidspace will feature expanded hours throughout the Solid Sound Festival weekend. With the exception of the long-running milestone retrospective of Sol LeWitt, all MASS MoCA exhibitions change every year: for a complete listing of this year’s new shows, see www.massmoca.org.

Admission for children 6 & under is free at Solid Sound. Weekend festival passes for kids ages 7-10 are $50 and ONLY AVAILABLE at the Solid Sound Box Office, starting Friday, June 24. They will be available throughout the entire weekend.

For more information please visit solidsoundfestival.com,

massmoca.org, wilcoworld.net or contact Deb Bernardini at

413.529.2830 or deb@dbmpr.com.

~~~~~~~Smiley Guy Studios mostly deals with animation and it looks pretty damn amazing.

I came across the following press release for the festival while looking for info on the film shorts being presented. I was surprised to find this .PDF file via google search and nowhere on the Solid Sound official site. In it is some nice information about 7 New exhibits and other stuff that may not be known that I will highlight. *(update: OK. The exhibits are listed on the site, but not much info is given unlike in this press release.)

Solid Sound Press Release PDF

May 22, 2011

SOLID SOUND FESTIVAL NEWS: SINGLE DAY TICKETS, CHARTER BUS TRANSPORTATION, PLUS WILCO PRESENTS SEVEN NEW EXHIBITS

The Solid Sound Festival is now offering single-day tickets for the fastapproaching three-day gathering of music, art, comedy and community in the scenic Berkshire mountains. (Three day all-festival passes are also still available.) Solid Sound takes place June 24 – June 26 at MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA and features two headlining concerts by Wilco, plus 18 bands including Levon Helm, Thurston Moore, Syl Johnston, Dave Douglas, Neil Finn, Liam Finn, Jamie Lidell, Wilco side projects, special pop-up performances and more, plus a comedy cabaret hosted by John Hodgman and featuring Wyatt Cenac, Eugene Mirman and Morgan Murphy. In addition to full three-day festival passes ($124.50), Friday and Sunday single-day tickets are $65.00 and Saturday single-day tickets are $78.00 (including all fees). All tickets and complete daily schedules are available through solidsoundfestival.com.

The Solid Sound Festival has teamed up with Peter Pan Bus Lines to offer transportation services directly to and from the festival from New York City and Boston. NYC bus will depart from midtown Manhattan and Boston bus will depart from the Woburn Park & Ride on Friday afternoon and go directly to the festival grounds. Buses will return to New York City and Boston on Sunday evening. Full details on pricing, reservations and ticketing are available by clicking the “Getting There” tab on the solidsoundfestival.com homepage.

Members of Wilco, acting as curators, will present seven new exhibits for this year’s festival including The Impossible Exhibition, a project that utilizes the last remaining Polaroid film to reinvent instant film. Select festival-goers and musicians including Wilco’s Pat Sansone will create a growing exhibit utilizing the reinvented film. Other Wilcopresented exhibits include Fly On The Wall: Sounds from the making of Wilco LP 08 and Gunnar Schonbeck’s Wonderments and the inGLENNtions, an exhibition of oversized but workable instruments with new instrument creations by Wilco’s Glenn Kotche and Darin Gray of On Fillmore.

Solid Sound also features live Falconry with Chris Davis of New England Falconry, Solid Sound Radio courtesy of The Numero Group, a short film series with films selected by MASS MoCA, Wilco and Toronto’s Smiley Guy Studios, a Euclid Records pop-up, an updated Wilco poster retrospective, an onsite screen-printing demonstration, Story Pirates, Lava, the Bureau for Open Culture, local food, a dunk tank for charity and much more.

The Solid Sound Festival is envisioned by Wilco and presented in collaboration with MASS MoCA, America’s largest contemporary art museum. Festival attendees have full access to the entire, sprawling museum campus, which incorporates 150,000 square feet of galleries and includes Kidspace, a museum within the museum, designed especially for children and families. This year Kidspace will feature expanded hours throughout the Solid Sound Festival weekend. With the exception of the long-running milestone retrospective of Sol LeWitt, all MASS MoCA exhibitions change every year: for a complete listing of this year’s new shows, see www.massmoca.org.

Admission for children 6 & under is free at Solid Sound. Weekend festival passes for kids ages 7-10 are $50 and ONLY AVAILABLE at the Solid Sound Box Office, starting Friday, June 24. They will be available throughout the entire weekend.

For more information please visit solidsoundfestival.com,

massmoca.org, wilcoworld.net or contact Deb Bernardini at

413.529.2830 or deb@dbmpr.com.

~~~~~~~Smiley Guy Studios mostly deals with animation and it looks pretty damn amazing.

This is pretty interesting stuff. Personally, I wasn't all that into the Numero Group's contribution last year, but I remember hearing lots of people who were sorry to see they wouldn't be participating this year. From this, it appears they will.

Also, it sounds like there will be some version of the kinds of demos that Glenn and Nels did last year. I thought Glenn's guided tour of his drum exhibit was fascinating, and the Nels exhibit was also good (though hard to see because of the logistics). Hopefully they'll do something creatively interactive like that again this year.

I am definitely getting psyched for this festival!

Besides being a Wilco fanatic I am also a falconer, who if you know any, are also a seriously fanatical lot. I'm friends with Chris Davis and will be helping him with his birds on Sunday (the only day he's there). I'm not exactly sure what he has planned, but he may do a person to person flight demo where he gets volunteers from the crowd and the bird flies between a half dozen folks landing on their gauntlet (which Chris will supply). Don't hold me to it, but if that's what he's going to do it's a blast and shouldn't be missed. Stop by and say hello at least, Chris has some beautiful Harris hawks and they are very social birds, and the photo ops will be great.