Wilco to return to MASSMoCA for Solid Sound #2

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we know Thurston is part of the festival, I'd love to see Ecstatic Peace's press do some kind of reading or zine or something. It was odd to me last year that every art form was represented at the festival besides literature, especially since Jeff has published a book and it seems like they're pretty avid readers.

put me down for a 'yes' vote re: a Byron Coley reading.

I used to date a guy who lives in Northampton, so I've been to a few of the evenings of readings and music they've put together. They were always great stuff. (and one time, after one of these things, I got really annoyed because this woman was standing in front of my car talking to someone when I was ready to pull out of my parking spot, and when she turned around, I realized it was Kim Gordon and I sat there and was all :wub until she finished her conversation)

It's made me think, if Wilco has started its own label, why not start their own small press as part of it, too?

Tickets?!?

Are they going to release anymore tickets? I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Also, I can't make it to all three days this year, anybody know how much the single day passes cost? I live in MA and can't stand the idea of missing a Wilco set in my own state! Thanks for the help :)

I'd say a bigger question is how much Levon will actually sing. I'd like to see more of that, but I guess it depends on how his voice is doing. His band, led by Larry Campbell, is very good.

Is this the same Larry Campbell that used to tour with Dylan and his NET band?

I couldn't find that old thread about the defective t-shirts from last year's SSF, so I thought I'd just post this here. Guess what came in the mail today? Two replacement shirts. Better late than never, and in plenty of time for summer.

I still think this was a pretty sweet move on the part of the vendor or representative or whatever: Impact Merchandising. They acknowledged that the shirts were defective, they operated on the honor system for replacements, and they delivered. A bit late, but it's not like I've got a t-shirt shortage after all these years of music fandom.

Kudos to you, Impact Merchandising! :cheers

what was defective about them? first i've heard of it.

The two I bought kind of turned into dishrags after a couple of launderings. They shrunk and got all twisty. Several people on here complained about it and apparently (exact memories are failing me) the company stepped up and said that the yarns the manufacturer used were defective. I'm not sure it applied to all of the shirts, but the ones I got--the pale yellow one with the moustache motif and the blue and green one that sort of looks like the poster--were kind of a mess. I never would have thought to ask for a refund, honestly, but it was offered, and I am glad to have wearable souvenirs again. I expect these will hold up better. It was a pretty small matter, but I thought the company acted in a stand-up way.

I bought the yellow one too and am happy to know the replacements are on the way. Very big of them indeed. My favourite Solid Sound souvenir is the water bottle. I fill it up 3 or 4 times a day and it looks as great as day 1.

The two I bought kind of turned into dishrags after a couple of launderings. They shrunk and got all twisty. Several people on here complained about it and apparently (exact memories are failing me) the company stepped up and said that the yarns the manufacturer used were defective. I'm not sure it applied to all of the shirts, but the ones I got--the pale yellow one with the moustache motif and the blue and green one that sort of looks like the poster--were kind of a mess. I never would have thought to ask for a refund, honestly, but it was offered, and I am glad to have wearable souvenirs again. I expect these will hold up better. It was a pretty small matter, but I thought the company acted in a stand-up way.

Can you hook me up with the contact info, because this happened to my T-shirt as well. I was pretty mad, but then I do have way too many Wilco shirts.

regarding wilco merchandise .... the complaints about wilco merch have been a re-occuring theme here on VC over the past few years. the criticism has mainly been about the t-shirts, and is has been very fair in pointing out the poor quality of these shirts. with t-shirt sales such an important part of a band's merchandise - it seems to me the team at 'wilco management' would spend a little time checking the quality of these items. i did bring up this issue with the guy who does the selling at wilco shows - he was a little busy as his booth was getting slammed, but basically said that he did not have say in the design or actual t-shirt quality. i do not know who is in charge of wilco merch, but somewhere about 5 years ago we started to see more products (some good, most bad). it was about the same time we started to see a rapid decline in the quality of wilco t-shirts.

oh yeah - and i am a proud owner of green and black bamboo wilco shirts that have had serious structural integrity issues. i also own one of the yellow solid sound (mustache) shirt that was totally trashed after a few washes. it is sad, but i have tour shirts from the early 90's that have held up better than the wilco shirts from recent years.

These guys are great. I saw them open for Autumn Defense on their last tour.

I did too, only Sarah was fighting the flu at the Durham show, and was squirreled away in the bus/van for the duration of the show. I'm glad I'll finally get to see the "real" Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion. The show I saw was forgettable, and it wasn't because I was stoned, either.

Even though I was. :stunned

Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion were on Last Call With Carson Daly a few nights ago (Thursday).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBgI6WLvcA

Just noticed Zeke Hutchins back there on the drums. Didn't know he played w/ them—he's ubiquitous. I've seen him play countless times with Tift Merritt, and he's also playing the role of Mr. Tift Merritt as well. Lucky rascal. :)