Record Store Day

I priced all the RSD exclusives I picked up Sat. on Ebay and they are all going for at least double with bids. I buy records to listen to so they have all already been opened and played so looks like my return on investment will have to be sonic compensation. There was a rather strange mother/son combo in line in front of me. His bill was about $200,her was $360. They bought a bunch of the same shit and instead of shopping then paying they jumped in line and took turns leaving to go get more records. I wonder how long it took them to take pictures of all that stuff and get it posted on Ebay. Unrelated to those douchebags I did pick up Mark Olson Many Colored Kite for $10.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my band played at one of the local stores up here. It was a lot of fun, lots of people came out. I'm really happy to see people buying stuff.

I made off with the last copy of the new Foo Fighters album and a deluxe version of the new Paul Simon album. Got a free lithograph too!

This is my third record store day experience and I know the nature of the experience has alot to do with the store you go to, but overall I'm kind of losing patience for this. Now some stores do it up right, and those are usually the true record stores (ie actually sell alot of vinyl anyway stores). My experience with indie used cd/video game crap stores is that it is a joke. However my biggest beef is with the whole RSD exclusive release issue. Why not just have the Sat be the release date, and those particular releases only available at indie record stores, but why insist on limiting the amount sold? All this does is make EBAY the place to be and the mad bum rush at opening hour a nightmare. Even if would have been able to purchase the two releases I wanted (which didn't happen) it still isn't fun watching a line of people eliminate the 1 or 2 copies of something. Record store day just became record store 10 minutes.

Like I said, last year I went to a real indie record store and even if you didn't get an exclusive there was other shopping to do. However I decided against two hour drive this year for 10 minutes of crap. So I went across town to another place (not an indie store) that sells a crap ton of new vinyl and picked up Whiskeytown Pneumonia and Head and The Heart instead.

I still like the premise, and I know you can't always get what you want, but if people are ready to spend to dough have the freaking product available. Who knows?

I've seen those Crosley stereos - I would not buy one. I think there was some talk about those on here a few years ago. Of course, Sound Forge or something else would do a better job. But, whatever makes one happy is the thing to use.

Black Sabbath at 78 speed is a reference to an old Cheech

and Chong routine.

I guess old Ozzy must need some more money for plastic surgery. I wonder how the powers that be came to pick him

as the ambassador for record store day.

It could be worse, it could have been Justin Beiber (shudders)

It was fun but I am glad it is over for another year. I spent alot, got some cool stuff (International Submarine Band, Television, Boddie from Numero), but also some superfluous stuff (Springsteen, Beach Boys 78 (really)) and locally cool stuff (VEEDEE, Justin Earle, Bloodshot comp which I got thanked in). It clearly was a boom for the stores which were packed and selling both new and used stuff. But really the hype is ridiculous. Some stuff was clearly overpriced (Vanguard reissues) and Big Star was nowhere in sight. Oh yea, Bob Dylan.

Meanwhile I got a bunch of free stuff as well. The usual compliment of compilations from various labels, some interesting, some not. For some reason I got the best of the Doors on CD and something really cool, Buena Vista Social Club live at Carnegie Hall Live from several years back. That was the best freebee of the day.

Maybe some year I will get around to listening to all of this. Honestly I don't understand why some of these releases, particularly the Big Star, aren't out in general release. They could make a ton if they just sold it to everyone who wanted it.

Kicking Television....still for sale!!!

LouieB

Apparently the store I went to had quite a few of the big star records. I got there about 30 minutes after the store opened and they were already gone. I had a few things in my hand but the crowds, long lines, the lack of the Big star, and a lower back issue made me just put everything back and leave. Worst RSD ever for me. I went back later after it calmed down and picked up the Jason Isbell "Here we rest" vinyl (with the 7" GBV song included) and the new Foo Fighters on CD. I actually hit 4 stores but the first one was really the only one that had the good RSD stuff (which is why it was such a zoo). Screw all those people selling Big Star on E-Bay.

Man, I just got around to listening to the Death Cab 7" and it sucks. It's just some lame-ass commercial for their new album: same lame track on both sides. Fuck that, I want my $4 back! :realmad :realmad :realmad

I read somewhere that was supposed to be free. Some places were selling it for $9.

here's the band's response:

http://www.deathcabforcutie.com/

Still not happy...I am so fucking pissed right now. Tried to get a refund but my store has a no refund on vinyl policy. Grrrrrrrr........... They could have advertised it better, as a FUCKING COMMERCIAL!!!!! I spent my hard earned money on

??? Expecting to hear new music, but instead you hear
Fuck Death Cab.

Man even that response on their website is wishy washy. It shoud read: We wanted to make some money and we tried to pull a fast one, but apparently it pissed some people off, so we are sorry, kind of.

The unfortunate part about some of this (not all of it, because most stores had record days, pun intentional) is that if there were a larger quantity of these releases then the record stores could still have stock for days or weeks, thus bringing in clientele for weeks in the future. Instead by creating a shortage in such merch as Big Star, the secondary market prospers while the primary market (us!!!) suffers. The whole point of this thing should be that people should patronize their local record stores all year round, not just one day. Many of us do, but still!!

LouieB

From the sound of things, RSD seems to be an event that would cause me more irritation than enjoyment.

I ran a 5K on RSD, which happened to be near my friend's (non-RSD participating) record store. Plus it was my birthday weekend, so I had the perfect opportunity to spend some money on records.

I got:

Temptations - Puzzle People

Queen - At the BBC

Stranglers - s/t

Glen Iris 7"

Herbie Mann - Live at the Whiskey a Go Go.

The unfortunate part about some of this (not all of it, because most stores had record days, pun intentional) is that if there were a larger quantity of these releases then the record stores could still have stock for days or weeks, thus bringing in clientele for weeks in the future. Instead by creating a shortage in such merch as Big Star, the secondary market prospers while the primary market (us!!!) suffers. The whole point of this thing should be that people should patronize their local record stores all year round, not just one day. Many of us do, but still!!

LouieB

EXACTAMUNGO!

Here's a hair-brained idea that probably doesn't hold up to the Laminated Nap treatment:

Issue limited editions on RSD with the promise that, if the item sells out, and no copies wind up on ebay within X amount of time, another pressing will be issued.

It'd work if people weren't so fucking lame and greedy.

Here's a hair-brained idea that probably doesn't hold up to the Laminated Nap treatment:

Issue limited editions on RSD with the promise that, if the item sells out, and no copies wind up on ebay within X amount of time, another pressing will be issued.

It'd work if people weren't so fucking lame and greedy.

That's ridiculous.

It does kind of defeat the purpose of Record Store Day by making it nearly impossible to obtain some of these releases. If the goal is to get people into record stores who normally wouldn't ever venture into one, make it worthwhile to go instead of frustrating most people and further cementing their negative views towards the stores.

That's ridiculous.

It does kind of defeat the purpose of Record Store Day by making it nearly impossible to obtain some of these releases. If the goal is to get people into record stores who normally wouldn't ever venture into one, make it worthwhile to go instead of frustrating most people and further cementing their negative views towards the stores.

I agree the pressings are far too limited. It's like they want them to wind up on ebay. Once again, the record industry fails to adapt.

From the sound of things, RSD seems to be an event that would cause me more irritation than enjoyment.

I ran a 5K on RSD, which happened to be near my friend's (non-RSD participating) record store. Plus it was my birthday weekend, so I had the perfect opportunity to spend some money on records.

I got:

Temptations - Puzzle People

Queen - At the BBC

Stranglers - s/t

Glen Iris 7"

Herbie Mann - Live at the Whiskey a Go Go.

which store does your friend own? which 5k? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

as far as RSD i bet some of the store owners kept a few of the rarities for themselves to sell on ebay.