Record Store Day

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Handsome Furs are playing one of the records stores here in town on Saturday. Should be cool.

Who are they? Members of the Handsome Family and Psychedelic Furs?? I guess all the good band names are gone.

LouieB

Who are they? Members of the Handsome Family and Psychedelic Furs?? I guess all the good band names are gone.

LouieB

They are Dan (from Wolf Parade) and his wife. Keyboard, drum machine and guitar indie rock.

Also, a band called US Christmas is playing that they're hyping. Never heard of them...

Got back about 30 minutes ago. We have 2 stores in town, so I hit both...They had everything I wanted but the Nirvana and Sonic Youth LPs were too expensive, $18-$20, fuck that. Here's what I got:

Death Cab - 7"

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues 12"

Ryan Adams - Class Mythology 2x7"

Foo Fighters - Medium Rare LP

Whiskeytown - Pneumonia 2xLP on clear vinyl

I got the Ryan Adams, the Sonic Youth, and the Deerhoof releases. I was #36 in line, so a few things I wanted were already gone by the time it was my turn, and I got the only copy of the Ryan Adams that my store had. I'm hoping one of my friends can find the Deerhoof/Xiu Xiu 7" for me today. All were more expensive than I was expecting, especially the Sonic Youth, but that's sort of a trend for the new records in the shop I was at. I also ended up buying a bunch of used jazz records and got great deals on those.

Got back about 30 minutes ago. We have 2 stores in town, so I hit both...They had everything I wanted but the Nirvana and Sonic Youth LPs were too expensive, $18-$20, fuck that. Here's what I got:

Death Cab - 7"

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues 12"

Ryan Adams - Class Mythology 2x7"

Foo Fighters - Medium Rare LP

Whiskeytown - Pneumonia 2xLP on clear vinyl

Nice picks!

I also ended up buying a bunch of used jazz records and got great deals on those.

Always good to hear. Whadja score?

i ended up getting more stuff for my friends than me, at least $ wise...including the Flaming Lips box, the Television 2LP and the Black Angels 10".

for me, i got:

V/A - FOLLOW ME DOWN: VANGUARD'S LOST PSYCHEDELIC ERA (1966 - 1970)

sonic youth - sister

ozzy - blizzard of ozz

j fahey - requia

earth - angels of darkness, demons of light

also got a handful of singles, including the ZZ Top/Mastodon split, the OFF! single, Joy Formidable, Urge Overkill, Superchunk/Coliseum split, and i think one more.

Always good to hear. Whadja score?

In the last few weeks, somebody must have sold a pretty big jazz collection to the store, because they had a lot of stuff they didn't when I was last there. I got the remastered Bitches Brew, plus Tomorrow Is the Question, Science Fiction, and Live at the Golden Circle Vol. Two by Ornette Coleman. There were a few others I had my eye on, but I remembered I was walking home and that it's windy and rainy here today, so I didn't want to have too much to carry.

One of my friends found the Deerhoof/Xiu Xiu 7" for me :thumbup

Just got back picked up:

An Introduction to Syd Barret $25 bucks, outrageous yes but I really wanted it.

Neil Young - Decade $8

Dad picked up

Traffic - Last Exit $5

Sister got

Fleet Foxes... I forget which album $17

Dropped about $50 dollars.

Yeah, I got a lot expect Big Star's 3rd. It was gone by the time I got there at 8:20am in a town (Appleton) of 70,000! I would understand if this was Chicago, but I was bit surprised it was gone. But I did get:

Mississippi John Hurt- The Immortal

Skip James- Today!

John Fahey- Requia

Jimi Hendrix- Fire (alternative version/Touch Me (Instrumental previously unreleased)seven inch

The Beach Boys- Good Vibrations/Heroes and Villians mono 78

Deerhoof- Friend Opportunity

Bob Dylan- Brandeis 1963 Live

and they had some deals:

George Harrison- All Things Must Passed (the new reissue analog remasters) It was 39.99 compared to its regular 49.99.

Bob Dylan and The Band- The Basement Tapes. Used for $ 9.99.

Slint- Spiderland. New for for $ 5.99

I am pretty happy with what I got though, but I did want that Big Star album and I thought about gettting the Sonic Youth and Nirvana releases, but I already was spending too much!

Got to the Schoolkids in Raleigh an hour past opening and missed out on the Ryan Adams and Big Star releases. I did get one of the 2 remaining Justin Townes Earle 7" (636/1000) as well as John Hammond's So Many Roads and Robbie Robertson's How To Become Clairvoyant. Was cool to see so many people come out that a line was forming outside. They had some live music there, too.

I was a bit bummed that none of the stores I talked to received the Big Star record. I ended up getting "There's a Riot Goin' On" and "Maggot Brain" on vinyl, a used Kinks CD and the new Low on CD.

i only got:

blitzen trapper- maybe baby/soul singer 7"

built to spill- ripple 7"

almost picked up the lady gaga picture disc, but couldn't bring myself to spend the $10. in hindsight, i should've done it.

I still don't know anyone (personally or online) who successfully scored the Big Star vinyl. I'm hoping someone did, because I'd like to know how much it was retailing for. The current eBay prices look kind of ridiculous ... I just want an idea of how ridiculous they really are.

My take (two stores):

Television - Live At The Old Waldorf San Francisco, 6/29/78 2LP white vinyl

Bob Dylan - Brandeis University 1963 vinyl LP

Iggy And The Stooges - Raw Power Live In The Hands Of The Fans vinyl LP

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Gotta Get That Feeling / Racing In The Street 10" vinyl

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love 10" vinyl

Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar / Bitch / Let It Rock 7" vinyl

Derek and the Dominos - Got To Get Better In A Little While / Layla 7" vinyl

Justin Townes Earle - Move Over Mama / Racing In The Streets 7" vinyl

The dB's - Picture Sleeve / Write Back 7" vinyl

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Here We Rest CD (non-Record Store Day purchase)

Grant Lee Phillips - Little Moon vinyl LP (non-Record Store Day purchase)

there were two copies in the store i went to, and i think the price was $40. i picked up one to see if there was a discernible weight difference (ie, golden ticket/test pressing inside).

i put it back as i was already spending too much and i'm not a huge fan of that record to be honest. figured i'd save it for someone who was.

edit - i just left an offer of $1 to for this auction, and left a note leaving in no uncertain terms what i thought of the seller.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p4340.l2564&item=270736635165&guest=1

There's already 19 people selling the Big Star record on eBay. Good to see these got into the hands of diehard fans.

There was a guy in front of me at the record store who was looking for the Big Star record too, he said he'd never even heard of them before today. I guess he was another person looking to make a buck on RSD.

Visited Numero Group's one day pop-up store:

21772698210462759930801.jpg

And the haul:

1302988866467.jpg

1302990821158.jpg

Tom Waits- Heart of Saturday Night

Numero Group: Eccentric Soul- Smart's Palace

Numero Group: Wayfaring Strangers- Guitar Soli

The Flamingos- Requestfully Yours

Rain Parade- Explosions in the Glass Palace

Surfin' With the Astronauts

John Martyn- Solid Air

Flying Saucer Attack- Further

Souvenir of Jamaica- Sounds of the Caribbean

The Underneath- Sun of '67

The Best of John Lee Hooker

well, i wanted to snag the ryan and cards class mythology, but wasn't lucky enough. those that got it...is it worth anything? i grabbed a copy of nickel creek's debut, along with some other vinyl. i dropped about $100. my wife and i were talking about how this is prob a huge shot in the arm for the local record stores, so kudos to them.

as for the ppl buying rare titles and selling them for double or even triple the retail on ebay...whatever. there's no avoiding this. i mean, i wish folk wouldn't resort to this, but hell, there's a market, and those records will sell for double and triple, so it's validating the vultures.