k.d. lang at Ravinia.

(We have pavilion tickets.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread, which I started, makes me realize I haven't gone to see shit this year.

To my credit, I did recently host a show in my basement, and I have played more shows this year than the last two years (probably combined). Still, I need to go see more bands.

Crap! i always forget to post when I'm going to shows.

The other night I went to CLASH OF THE TITANS here in Portland.

how it works is they take two artists who are either alike or sort of "rivals" in a way and they get people from the local scene to create a cover band of sorts.

Some people go all out with costumes and trying to be exactly like the band... and some dont which is really lame.

Each band plays 6 songs and the one with the best audience response plays an encore tune.

Its at our big rock club here in town so theres lots of people, lights, and it sounds great

Anyways. the other night was KISS vs Aerosmith and it was awesome!

Other match ups are or have been...

Ben Folds vs Elton John

Melvins vs Kyuss

Ray Charles vs Stevie Wonder

Paul Simon vs James Taylor

Bowie vs Queen

Black Keys vs White Stripes (on my 21st birthday!)

and this seasons finale is Zeppelin vs The Who. F YEAH

• 3 weeks later...

The Chills. Last saw Martin Phillipps (and one of the many versions of the Chills that have backed him over the years) around 15 years ago and I'm pretty stoked to be seeing them again tonight.

Tim Robbins & The Rogues Gallery Band at Tupelo's Music Hall in Londonderry, NH (about 5 minutes from my place/also hometown of Giants' Brian Wilson). I've only been in there once to video tape an autistic child pianist for Public Access Television. Great sized room with beautiful acoustics. Nobody on their concert schedule has piqued my interest except Eddie Money who was asking for $65 in money. Peter Yarrow is there in January, but I can't see him without Paul Stookey. This is otherwise somewhat reasonably priced and the music is a lot better than his voice. I imagine if the crowd throws tomatoes, he can escape through a poster of Rita Hayworth.

Anyways, I plan on screaming "WHAT FUCKING IAN GUY!!!!!". :innocent

Band of Horses in Charlotte.

:banana

Nice! And you don't have to pay to see them with Kings of Leon now!

So I know this is not the place for a review but something happened at the My Morning jacket show last night that I had never seen. During one of the songs (I forget which one) there was suddenly a very loud and very dissident guitar sound overpowering the band. It was the unmistakeable sound of someone tuning a guitar. It went on an awful long time before I saw someone run over to the Roadie (that was at the side of the stage with a guitar in his hands) and frantically motion to him. I don't know how he didn't notice but it must not have been coming through the monitors or something. Out in the crowd it was crazy loud. At first I thought it was just a really bad James solo or he was joking around. Seems weird that the roadies guitar tuning station is piped in the main sound in some way.

Nice! And you don't have to pay to see them with Kings of Leon now!

So I know this is not the place for a review but something happened at the My Morning jacket show last night that I had never seen. During one of the songs (I forget which one) there was suddenly a very loud and very dissident guitar sound overpowering the band. It was the unmistakeable sound of someone tuning a guitar. It went on an awful long time before I saw someone run over to the Roadie (that was at the side of the stage with a guitar in his hands) and frantically motion to him. I don't know how he didn't notice but it must not have been coming through the monitors or something. Out in the crowd it was crazy loud. At first I thought it was just a really bad James solo or he was joking around. Seems weird that the roadies guitar tuning station is piped in the main sound in some way.

That's hilarious.

I'm going to see Kurt Vile and the Violators tonight at The 40 Watt in Athens, GA. True Widow is opening. :rock

It was an excellent show. I was amazed at how Kurt and the Violators achieved such a big sound without a bass.. Just three guitars and drums.

Again, awesome show and I highly recommend checking him out if he comes to your town.

There was a taper there.. I asked for the name before I left but I was pretty drunk.. He said Southern..... something. Don't remember the last part. But I'd love to get my hands on the audio.. Great acoustics in the room.

It was an excellent show. I was amazed at how Kurt and the Violators achieved such a big sound without a bass.. Just three guitars and drums.

Again, awesome show and I highly recommend checking him out if he comes to your town.

There was a taper there.. I asked for the name before I left but I was pretty drunk.. He said Southern..... something. Don't remember the last part. But I'd love to get my hands on the audio.. Great acoustics in the room.

It's up on Dime

http://www.dimeadoze...s.php?id=368642

Recorded and mastered by Sloan Simpson