• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave

OCB, sounds like a solid RH show... i've never been disappointed.

this can't be the whole set list, can it?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robyn-hitchcock/2014/arts-at-the-armory-somerville-ma-2bcc547a.html

btw, "NY Doll" is such an awesome song. 

No - that's definitely missing a bunch of songs - including Tanya Donelly's initial appearance.  I'd have to think about what else is missing.  It was a fairly long show.  He started a little after 7:00 and his main set finished about 8:40.  With encores we walked out of the venue about 9:00. 

according to a friend:

The last two songs with Tanya before the encore: Tanya:"Untogether" (Belly) "Sweet Ghost of Light" (from RH's "Eye")

And the first three encores with Tanya: "Crystal Ship" (Doors), "River Man." (Nick Drake), and "The Bees" (Belly).

Ha!  I know Brad and chatted with him before the show.  I just saw your conversation on FB and came here to post it.  (I don't know Jon personally but I certainly know who he is.)

So now you know I'm not a 55 year old former major league baseball player from Mississippi ...

Damn being from Boston I was kinda hoping a former Red Sox player would be a Wilco fan ..

Seriously very cool name choice Oil Can never let a microphone go unused and we were the better for it!

Girls Guns & Glory at the old Harpers Ferry

I'm really psyched, as this is the first chance I've had to catch her live.

How was Miss Emmylou? Seen her many times through the years. First time was when she opened for Willie Nelson and Jimmy Carter was in attendance. They are doing a special show for her in DC at DAR Constitution Hall in January with all the folks she has influenced and played with over the years. http://songsofemmylou.com/about.php

would be a wonderful show to see IMO> Tickets are a little steep but I am sure will be worth while or wait to see it on DVD!

How was Miss Emmylou? Seen her many times through the years. First time was when she opened for Willie Nelson and Jimmy Carter was in attendance. They are doing a special show for her in DC at DAR Constitution Hall in January with all the folks she has influenced and played with over the years. http://songsofemmylou.com/about.php

would be a wonderful show to see IMO> Tickets are a little steep but I am sure will be worth while or wait to see it on DVD!

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

She was very good, although the ticket price was a bit high. The setlist made me happy, as she did not perform a lot of obscurities. I think there were only about 3 or 4 songs I didn't know. She does not do Boulder to Birmingham at every show, so I was pleased that she did that for an encore. Also did nice versions of Pancho & Lefty and Sin City, both of which I love. Was hoping for Pancho, never even considered she would do Sin City (which I have loved since I discovered Uncle Tupelo's cover of it). Great show overall.

according to a friend:

The last two songs with Tanya before the encore: Tanya:"Untogether" (Belly) "Sweet Ghost of Light" (from RH's "Eye")

And the first three encores with Tanya: "Crystal Ship" (Doors), "River Man." (Nick Drake), and "The Bees" (Belly).

The show is up on archive.org (https://archive.org/details/robynhitchcock2014-11-12.Somerville-MA).  I haven't listened to it yet but here's the setlist:

01. intro

02. The Abyss

03. The Wreck of the Arthur Lee

04. Only the Stones Remain

05. Old Pervert

06. talk / tuning

07. Sally Was a Legend

08. You and Oblivion

09. talk / Trouble in Your Blood

10. tuning / San Francisco Patrol

11. tuning / talk

12. My Wife and My Dead Wife

13. One Long Pair of Eyes

14. talk

15. Dismal City

16. New York Doll

17. talk

18. Adventure Rocketship

19. "It's Tanya Donelly, from Area Code 617!"

20. Untogether (Belly) *

21. talk

22. Sweet Ghost of Light *

23. break

24. "Now it's favourites from my record collection"

25. Crystal Ship (The Doors)

26. River Man (Nick Drake)

27. talk

28. The Bees (Belly) *

29. Happiness Is a Warm Gun (The Beatles) *

30. Are You Experienced? (The Jimi Hendrix Experience) *

* with Tanya Donelly

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

She was very good, although the ticket price was a bit high. The setlist made me happy, as she did not perform a lot of obscurities. I think there were only about 3 or 4 songs I didn't know. She does not do Boulder to Birmingham at every show, so I was pleased that she did that for an encore. Also did nice versions of Pancho & Lefty and Sin City, both of which I love. Was hoping for Pancho, never even considered she would do Sin City (which I have loved since I discovered Uncle Tupelo's cover of it). Great show overall.

Thanks and glad u enjoyed. I got to see one of her Landmine benefits where they just sat in circle jamming. Bruce Cockburn Steve Earle etc. She is a lovely lady and performer. Wish I could go to the evening of emmylou but tickets are pretty steep as well.

Same here. Pretty excited about it!

Whoa, what was going on in the orchestra? We were in second row of balcony and couldn't tell. Is Ryan always that way with his stage talk? First time seeing him. Some serious cursing at an audience member. The music was fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoa, what was going on in the orchestra? We were in second row of balcony and couldn't tell. Is Ryan always that way with his stage talk? First time seeing him. Some serious cursing at an audience member. The music was fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

During any quiet moment someone would yell "c'mon" or "play!" or something else to that effect. He'd get irritated because he "just played 13 songs in 48 minutes." While he was cursing at anyone who yelled at him, he didn't seem genuinely pissed... Which was good.

I thought he was amazing. My only criticism of his set was that the pacing felt very strange. By the end of the set I was ready for it to be over. He played great songs, and the band was tight, but we lost some momentum at crucial points.

Butch Walker could be the worst lyricist of all time. He has a nice voice, but man... tough to take that seriously. Also, why would DRA have a DRA impersonator open for him? 

I will say that Ryan's merch is simultaneously the dumbest and most awesome merch I've seen in a long while. My girlfriend got a shirt that says "choose cats" on the front and "ryan adams" on the back.