Jeff Tweedy talks about New Album to Spin

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw on Facebook: Wilco announced they are mastering their record right now in Maine (probably with Bob Ludwig @ Gateway). That means it is more or less done. Songs, mix, sequence, whole nine yards. I'm hoping for a double album.

God DAMN it! They've all been made private. I got home just in time to watch them, but only once. I was all ready to watch 'em again and again and again. . . and now they're unavailable.

For what it's worth, I sent a message to Zoran via vimeo asking him to please restore them, but who knows? I have a feeling the reason they just now surfaced is that they were marked private before, and maybe they got made public for a very short window of time today, by accident. Shit!

Edit: I can't believe it, but Zoran actually responded to my message. He says

I wish I could - have to respect my instructions - hopefully you will see them in a finished product at some point?

Cheers

Z

Wasn't that nice? Disappointing, but nice. And respectful.

They did sound amazingly exciting!

Wasn't that nice? Disappointing, but nice. And respectful.

Definitely cool.

I was surprised that those videos were publicly available, so it's no shock to learn that Zoran was instructed to lock 'em up. I'm glad I took a look at them this afternoon! (Thanks for the heads up, RainDog!)

These videos are a treasure trove of awesomeness....

I concur with this but I wonder for what purpose were they made? Another DVD in the works maybe? Some of those videos had been up there for five months. Guess it's back to waiting and trying to not get to excited.

Definitely cool.

I was surprised that those videos were publicly available, so it's no shock to learn that Zoran was instructed to lock 'em up. I'm glad I took a look at them this afternoon! (Thanks for the heads up, RainDog!)

Yeah, I missed them - stupid work computer with no speakers. :no :hmm

I concur with this but I wonder for what purpose were they made? Another DVD in the works maybe? Some of those videos had been up there for five months. Guess it's back to waiting and trying to not get to excited.

Somebody, somewhere did something that brought the videos to the attention of somebody. And now nobody can see them.

Nice.

Glad I checked them out before the ban hammer came down.

So would you rather no one have mentioned them here, meaning nobody (including you) saw them unless they came across them on their own...and then posted about them here, which most likely would lead to their privacy settings being changed?

If the person who found them didn't share, someone on here would have accused him o being greedy.

So would you rather no one have mentioned them here, meaning nobody (including you) saw them unless they came across them on their own...and then posted about them here, which most likely would lead to their privacy settings being changed?

If the person who found them didn't share, someone on here would have accused him o being greedy.

You think the powers that be made Zoran pull them because a like was posted on a little used Wilco fan board? I'm just wondering if something a little more bit torrentish broke out. This board is so dead I imagine on a dozen or so people from here actually looked at the link.

I think a good bit of people saw them, but maybe didnt post anything. I havent posted about this until now, but I sent a link to at least ten people that watched them. I think it is kind of cool that they are gone now though, as it will now go down in wilcofandom legend as the afternoon of ten forty second fragments of three different songs with various portions of the mixes to each muted.

For those of you that didnt hear them, think impossible germany as interpreted by interstellar space beings on acid.

I went from having a mildly controllable level of distant excitement to a must hear this asap, holy crap, this is gonna be awesome level of excitement. those were some really cool sounds on there, but short enough clips that it didnt really spoil anything.

Totally agree with rockinrob.

By the way, I got yet another reply back from Zoran, with the exciting news that he will be shooting at Solid Sound this year! I think we had heard something a long time ago about this possibility, but my memory is hazy. Anyway, it is now confirmed, from the horse's mouth. Should at the very least result in some excellent high quality footage, and maybe a full-scale DVD or something. Yay!!

You think the powers that be made Zoran pull them because a like was posted on a little used Wilco fan board? I'm just wondering if something a little more bit torrentish broke out. This board is so dead I imagine on a dozen or so people from here actually looked at the link.

I think the views were approaching seventy or so when I watched the videos early yesterday evening, maybe an hour or two before they were pulled. My guess is that he noticed the view count rising and realized they were public. This kind of thing would actually be a pretty cool way to market a new record, but putting little bits and pieces of it randomly across the internet.

I think the views were approaching seventy or so when I watched the videos early yesterday evening, maybe an hour or two before they were pulled. My guess is that he noticed the view count rising and realized they were public. This kind of thing would actually be a pretty cool way to market a new record, but putting little bits and pieces of it randomly across the internet.

So Zoran put it on the internet so people wouldn't see it? What did Jeff think was going to happen with the video being shot?I'm probably being snarky, but there really isn't anything bad that could have come out of leaving the link up. I think we have some people severely overthinking here

Question for Rain Dog Too: Are you someone who checks out Wilco things a lot because you found the single's image and these videos? Did you check Zoran's page regularly for updates because he did do some video(s) on Wilco over the past year? Or was his page private before?

I do find it interesting that his response was that he is "following orders". Viral marketing isn't anything new. These videos were found the same day as the "Wilco in Maine mastering new record" tweet.

I still think that this footage will be a part of the Fly On The Wall installation.

So Zoran put it on the internet so people wouldn't see it? What did Jeff think was going to happen with the video being shot?I'm probably being snarky, but there really isn't anything bad that could have come out of leaving the link up. I think we have some people severely overthinking here

All we can do is speculate. The videos were two months old and nobody had seen them. Then, on the day that one of them is linked in here and after 100 or so people saw them (guessing here), they disappear. Either they were supposed to be private to begin with, or someone at Wilco was tipped off that they were on Zoran's site when they shouldn't have been. Bottom line is that it appears they were not meant to be seen. I agree with you that there is nothing harmful in the videos, and they certainly did not give any grand indication as to how the record was going to sound. They were just bits and pieces. If they were using it as a marketing ploy, which I think would have been a great idea, they should have left them up for a while longer.

Maybe the album is nowhere near as good as the clips and Tweedy had them pulled to prevent disappointment upon release.

You can subscribe to Zoran's page--or whatever it's called--on Vimeo. He actually still has quite a few other Wilco related videos up there, or he did as of yesterday afternoon, and some are as recent as 5 months ago, with Tweedy working out variations on Open Mind. I presume--though I'm not sure--that subscribing to his page will cause you get a notification when he posts something new.

Full confession here: It might've been me who tipped them off about the fact that the vids were public. There was one with a sweaty Glenn listening to playback and drinking something (iced tea?). I posted a lame comment--something like "Stay hydrated, Glenn." It seemed like it was just a little while later that the videos were made private.

So shoot me. It wasn't intentional!!

for those that missed them, they weren't that great. Just bits and pieces of the band screwing around. I'm excited to hear the new songs though...Im sure they will debut quite a few at Solid Sound...also expect an announcement on the album title/track list

Some interesting sounds there were indeed. Whether any of them actually end up on the record is beyond our capacity at this moment. That "Nelsgasm," for all I know, could have just been him messing around with effects and not actually laying anything down...

Out of context the "nelsgasm" was almost over the top and I love every second of it. The song Jeff was listening to on the playback sounded REALLY nice...

I hope it ends up on the record.

Now I guess I am a charter member of this version of "I've heard and seen something you haven't and I am going to talk ad nauseum about it".

The old me would revel in it.

Instead, I feel dirty.

Just saw on Facebook: Wilco announced they are mastering their record right now in Maine (probably with Bob Ludwig @ Gateway). That means it is more or less done. Songs, mix, sequence, whole nine yards. I'm hoping for a double album.

I live in Portland and know where Gateway is. Its where most of our bigger businesses and radio stations are. I did about three or four laps around the building, didn't see anybody from the band. I went up the street, bought a ticket to see Dinosaur jr. Did another lap around the building and went home.

No luck today... but if they are doing a double album, I'd assume they'll be here for a while.