New album called "The Whole Love"?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were so many new songs at Solid Sound that I found it hard to keep track. "I Might" and "Born Alone" stood out as favorites, but that could be because I've heard them more than the others.

I heard talk that the album will not be a double CD, but a relatively lengthy single CD. I wouldn't count on that until we get official confirmation, though.

What do those who have listened think of that new untitled song or "Standing O," as some have called it?

How do I put this? To me all of the new material feels like it came from the same batch a la making Toll House cookies. It is really tough to distinguish between the new tracks except for Born Alone and I Might.

Now when I listened to WIlco (The Album) the first time I could tell apart each track upon a few listens. There's something very similar about these tracks. Maybe it's the keyboards/organ sound? I don't know, but I'm still sticking to my Summerteeth meets Sky Blue Sky/Wilco (The Album) sound.

AND this doesn't mean that I don't like the tracks. I enjoy them, but need to get to know them personally.

Some more insight:

Standing O's beginning reminds me a lot of Elton John's Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting.

Born Alone's beginning sounds like I'm Always In Love's intro strummed slowly.

LOL. Good call on Like A Virgin. I was trying to pinpoint that particular phrasing on that track. Also, I hear a bit of R.E.M. in there in the arrangement of the backing vocals.

And I also hear early Elvis Costello in these tracks a lot too.

Oh, and Whole Love sounds like it could fit perfectly amongst Up/Reveal era R.E.M. It might be the keys and Tweedy's falsetto that makes my mind think that though.

Even some of the stuff going on in Split Enz's I Got You I hear in the new Wilco tracks. Very interesting concoctions.

The Whole Love and Born Alone stand out for me from the live recordings.

Dawned On Me sounds alright I guess, certainly the best recording or performance. The other unknown new one sounds alright, easily the most along the lines of the "obnoxious pop songs" tag.

Get Well Soon Everybody is a much better album title than The Whole Love.

Yeah, I preferred the previous title a lot more than this one. Despite the meaning behind the new title it still seems like an uninspired choice. Change the "l" in Whole to an "r" and we have a better title already.

I didn't like GWSE as an album title at first, but it's a whole lot (no pun intended) more interesting than The Whole Love. Get Well Soon Everybody is an album I'd be interested in based on title alone. Seems like they have similar meanings in Jeff's mind, so I don't get why he'd go with the more boring (or lame) title.

But it's just a title.

I didn't like GWSE as an album title at first, but it's a whole lot (no pun intended) more interesting than The Whole Love. Get Well Soon Everybody is an album I'd be interested in based on title alone. Seems like they have similar meanings in Jeff's mind, so I don't get why he'd go with the more boring (or lame) title.

But it's just a title.

To me "The Whole Love" could have about a dozen different meanings and "Get Well Soon Everybody" means get well soon everybody. It doesn't sound as dark and depressing though and dark and depressing albums are usually great. I think I'll trust the people that create and play the music to give it the proper title though.

To me "The Whole Love" could have about a dozen different meanings and "Get Well Soon Everybody" means get well soon everybody. It doesn't sound as dark and depressing though and dark and depressing albums are usually great. I think I'll trust the people that create and play the music to give it the proper title though.

Fair, but in an album title, I want unique sounding groups of words. The Whole Love is meaningful, but I think it's too bland to be a really great album title. Works as a song title, but it's just not at all striking as an album title. Personal taste, obviously.