Now Reading in 2014

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just picked up the new Rick Bragg book on Jerry Lee Lewis. I attended a signing and had a chance to sit and talk with Bragg one-on-one for about 10 minutes. Very genuine, unpretentious man & one of my favorite writers.

Just picked up the new Rick Bragg book on Jerry Lee Lewis. I attended a signing and had a chance to sit and talk with Bragg one-on-one for about 10 minutes. Very genuine, unpretentious man & one of my favorite writers.

I didn't know he had a new book! He's great. "Ava's Man" is one of my all-time favorite books.

Reading "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. Her writing is exquisite.

I didn't know he had a new book! He's great. "Ava's Man" is one of my all-time favorite books.

"Ava's Man" is one of my favorite books as well. His depiction of his grandfather reminds me so much of my grandfather. That's actually the book I talked with him about the other day. Here's an interview with him about his new book on Jerry Lee:

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2014/nov/24/interview-rick-bragg/

StationElevenHCUS2.jpg

Enjoying this one so far. The story starts out in my hometown which was a nice surprise.

"Ava's Man" is one of my favorite books as well. His depiction of his grandfather reminds me so much of my grandfather. That's actually the book I talked with him about the other day. Here's an interview with him about his new book on Jerry Lee:

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2014/nov/24/interview-rick-bragg/

Thanks for the link-- looking forward to reading the new book.

Reading "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. Her writing is exquisite.

Two more for the reading list...no, 3, because that interview sold me on reading the new Jerry Lee Lewis book. Thanks!

I've only read "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, but yes, her writing is exquisite.

14965037829_717166ba7b_o.jpg

I'm nearing the end of this one.  It's been kind of a disappointment.  In turns captivating and other moments ridiculous.  I don't mind a mixed bag, but Mitchell has been one of my favorites because I've found all of his work to be so masterfully done.  Clunky and awkward fantasy prose was not something I expected from him.

14965037829_717166ba7b_o.jpg

I'm nearing the end of this one.  It's been kind of a disappointment.  In turns captivating and other moments ridiculous.  I don't mind a mixed bag, but Mitchell has been one of my favorites because I've found all of his work to be so masterfully done.  Clunky and awkward fantasy prose was not something I expected from him.

I have that but haven't started it yet - but your comments confirm my fears about it.  I think the relatively straightforward Black Swan Green remains my favorite Mitchell book.

I have that but haven't started it yet - but your comments confirm my fears about it.  I think the relatively straightforward Black Swan Green remains my favorite Mitchell book.

I loved Black Swan Green, but I found A Thousand Autumns of Jacob DeZoet to be one of the best books of the decade.  Such a huge scale, interesting history, it really had it all for me.

I'm thinking with Bone Clocks that it's probably not the last book we'll see from him.  Just like with music, a career-artist is entitled to put out a stinker, or at least something that's uneven.  Don't let my comments prevent you from reading it, there's certainly some enjoyment in there.  In fact the book is divided into 6 separate narratives from different characters' perspectives and different moments in history.  I would say 2 out of the 6 sections were a pure joy to read.  There was only 1 that I outright disliked, but unfortunately it was the peak moment in the book, so it was pivotal.

Finally getting around to read the below --- Kent passed away last week - he was a teacher of mine while I was in college and we didn't see eye to eye in a lot of ways (he did give me a B, begrudgingly I believe) - but I was a drunk at the time and in hind-sight I missed a really great opportunity to learn something. I think I stopped reading his stuff out of spite --- which is ridiculous. Half way through and it's great, great stuff.

41jsYTkajiL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Double Indemnity" by J. Cain. Finished it this morning on my 2 hour and 40 minute commute to the office......stupid Pace and Metra cant handle a little weather........any ways, great book, gotta see the flick again.

ij_S.jpg

Finally got the nerve and started this baby on January 1st.  So far I'm blown away and loving it.  Not nearly as inpenetratable as Gravity's Rainbow which defeated me.  But I do keep a dictionary nearby.