Now Reading in 2014

Yes - great writing. I feel like sending him a card or a bottle of booze or something.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10825609.jpg

How is this? I love a great historical read.

I am enjoying it very much so far. Not for those who do not like (ancient) history though - as it is heavy on facts and there are a lot of individuals to get a handle on in the 50 years or so of intrigue and turmoil that followed the death of A the G.

Very interesting for me as I have a grasp of general ancient Greek history, and then Roman, but this fills in the gap.

For something perhaps a bit more readable but no less valid, I would recommend 2 excellent books by Tom Holland - Persian Fire & Crossing The Rubicon. I have one other about the years after the fall of the Roman Empire, but have not started that yet.

"Big Woods, the Hunting Stories" by W. Faulkner.

Holy crap, I forgot what a wordsmith Faulkner can be. How does one develop a writing style like that?

You can fine-tune it, but by and large, it's a gift.

The Interestings - Meg Wurlitzer

This was actually just recommended to me, yesterday or the day before. 

That Meg Wolitzer book was one of my favorites of last year. I really need to read more of her work.

Stone Arabia was a good read, I'll second that recommendation.

Now reading:

495af7eda0e2978c60a30f20b894aa44.jpg

"A Simple Plan" by S. Smith

I saw the flick but don't really remember it. It was one of Bridget Fonda's last films though 

This was such a beautifully written, tender book:

41QYqtCvJQL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I loved that one, too! Haven't read any of his other stuff, though.

I'm going through some very intense family stuff right now, and the kind of novel I'm usually drawn to (dark realism, maybe you'd call it?) just feels too depressing. Can anyone recommend an author or novel that is well-written but on the lighter side? Please no sci-fi or fantasy-- those are not for me.

I loved that one, too! Haven't read any of his other stuff, though.

I'm going through some very intense family stuff right now, and the kind of novel I'm usually drawn to (dark realism, maybe you'd call it?) just feels too depressing. Can anyone recommend an author or novel that is well-written but on the lighter side? Please no sci-fi or fantasy-- those are not for me.

Peace Like a River, Leif Enger.

Bowie was my portal into underground music. It's been really fun to read through this and recollect my affection for so much of his music.  I also learned that he produced a Lulu cover of "Man Who Sold the World".  You can find it on Spotify.  The author is really unkind to Bowie's commercial -- and often crappy -- 80s output.  It's important to remember that much of that crap sucked in a bunch of teenagers like me who went back and got into VU, Stooges, Eno, etc.  

628x471.jpg

The author is really unkind to Bowie's commercial -- and often crappy -- 80s output. 

I am such a sucker for the Let's Dance record. I know it was intended to be this commercial hit maker blah blah, but, like you, I was a kid in the early 80s and I ate it up. Still have a soft spot for it.