• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Right now:

13538873.jpg

I really want to read this one and have wanted to for a while. Thanks for the reminder! Gonna head to the library today.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Big Year-A Tale of Man, Nature and Fowl Obsession"

Its delightful! Maybe it helps that I'm a bit of a birder but still, its a great read so far.

That sounds outrageous....spending an entire year chasing around the globe trying to sight the most species of birds! I'm a bit of a birder too, and each of my 3 kids had an extensive birding project for high school biology, in which they had to sight at least 50 different species and otherwise identify and describe where & when sighted. It was HARD!  After about the first 30 or 35, every bird was a species you'd already seen. The birds had to be sighted in the wild. We got our quota, with each child, but we had to drive up into the local mountains and down to the beach to find more species. I think Alissa did best...we found a great wildlife area with marshes, and saw a lot of new birds there. She wound up with around 70 birds. (The idea of that winner sighting over 700 blows my mind.)

Let me know how that book is. Sounds like something I'd like.

I rarely have books to recommend, but the book "Redeployment", which is a series of short stories based on the experiences of vets in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is excellent and very compelling. I thought it was non-fiction at first.

LouieB

I rarely have books to recommend, but the book "Redeployment", which is a series of short stories based on the experiences of vets in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is excellent and very compelling. I thought it was non-fiction at first.

LouieB

Thanks for that, its now on my list.

LouieB

Oh man, just started this today. If the book continues to be anything like the first short story, its gonna be a great read.

• 2 weeks later...

18090125.jpg

From the outset I need to say that I am a big Willy Vlautin fan. I've read his previous novels and I love Richmond Fontaine. That being said....this is such a beautiful book. I'm under a hundred pages now from finishing it and I'm in that zone where I know I'm going to be missing this book terribly once I'm finished with it. I'll mope around the house for a day or so trying to figure my way out of that strange purgatorial zone I sometimes get into when I'm between books.

Willy's writing just keeps getting better. I have been so drawn into this story with the simple and delicate prose he weaves around characters who you can tell the author really cares about. I've had a wonderful few days with this book.

9780061124235_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

I went to New Orleans for the first time a couple of weeks ago so I thought I should read this. 

I just finished this, great read. Amazing how inept the state and feds were. Made me ponder how quickly some humans will revert to anti social behaviour when a few basic luxuries are removed.

18090125.jpg

From the outset I need to say that I am a big Willy Vlautin fan. I've read his previous novels and I love Richmond Fontaine. That being said....this is such a beautiful book. I'm under a hundred pages now from finishing it and I'm in that zone where I know I'm going to be missing this book terribly once I'm finished with it. I'll mope around the house for a day or so trying to figure my way out of that strange purgatorial zone I sometimes get into when I'm between books.

Willy's writing just keeps getting better. I have been so drawn into this story with the simple and delicate prose he weaves around characters who you can tell the author really cares about. I've had a wonderful few days with this book.

Sold! I've been kind of in that between books place the past week, looking for something to follow "Enon," by Paul Harding. Your glowing review of this author has me running to the library post-haste!

I just finished this, great read. Amazing how inept the state and feds were. Made me ponder how quickly some humans will revert to anti social behaviour when a few basic luxuries are removed.

Yes - pretty horrendous behavior from the top all the way down to the bottom.  But also some remarkable stories of people pitching in and helping each other.  And weird stories like former NFL football player JaMarcus Russell letting Fats Domino stay at his apartment in Baton Rouge. 

Read Northline by Willy Vlautin after Fritz' glowing reviews.  It was a terrific read -- very starkly written, and very compelling.  The soundtrack that comes with the book is gorgeous and sad -- guitar, harmonica, pedal steel and piano.  A perfect companion piece. 

** edit:  Actually, the soundtrack isn't just sad, it is heartbreaking.  I don't know what it is about pedal steel, but it just reaches inside your chest and grips tight and doesn't let go.  It's both a physical and emotional feeling.  Very powerful.

Looking forward to reading The Motel Life, his debut novel, next.