Alpha Mike Foxtrot

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still want to hear all of the excessive amount of songs they mention working on every time they put out an album. This is clearly a label raiding the vaults, otherwise they would have put "Message From Mid-bar" on there. The way I see it, they mostly put stuff that Warner Bros touched on there.

It's still some great stuff. I almost wish I hadn't already heard it all so it would be new to me. I suppose I don't remember "Old Maid", is that one a winner?

I've never heard Old Maid either. I remember the sheet music being published in the Wilco Book but have never heard a band version. 

It's nice having these tracks gathered in one place. I'm sure those of you who have been fans for a while remember desperately searching for these tracks all around the internets at some point in time. Wilco fans nowadays have it made :)

I've never heard Old Maid either. I remember the sheet music being published in the Wilco Book but have never heard a band version. 

It's nice having these tracks gathered in one place. I'm sure those of you who have been fans for a while remember desperately searching for these tracks all around the internets at some point in time. Wilco fans nowadays have it made :)

jeff played it solo back in Jan 2003 in his solo shows before they did their first australian tour. dont know if it's a band version or just a live version from the Vic theatre early in the month. those shows are soundboards, though

Friends, this is well known code words for "ABBA min favorit" phrase when making request to enter occupied sauna. Positive response for romance interlude is "Ja här fantastiska" code - so you see how Mr Jeff Tweedy make a full circle with this joking line of punches? Of a course, this all sneaky code endeavour is hardly of a necessity here, as that is Swedish default way. So you do not need the necessity of a bush beating all around! Ha ha! But if elsewhere like a Denmark for an instant, then I recommend to avoid the the unexpected unpleasant. And do not have a plan to get all your hopes up there, because they are squalid! As great Mr William Shakespeare say of old in play of Omlette, there is something stinky in every Danish house. This still has a true hold and it is always sauna! Believe!

Welfare!

jeff played it solo back in Jan 2003 in his solo shows before they did their first australian tour. dont know if it's a band version or just a live version from the Vic theatre early in the month. those shows are soundboards, though

The studio band version sounds like it is really just Jeff solo.

Well, the problem is not only that we've already heard it all. The problem is that some of us have already bought everything. I mean, I've bought YHF, then I bought it again (the australian tour edition, which wasn't neither cheap or easy, from Paris), I've bought all the soundtracks, comps, tributes and benefit CDs to get the likes of "Old Maid" (superb), Let Me come Home (fabulous) or Any Major Dude (marvelous), I've bought the CD singles and all the extended editions etc. of every album, having already bought the initial releases. And I'm not talking about vinyl editions (which I bought).

And I already have compiled my own "rarities" playlist with the EXACT SAME SONGS on it (except it includes the Whole love bonuses as well). It still is gonna be a beautiful release, but it's a little bit annoying. At the same time, maybe it's exactly what this is all about : not forcing the most dedicated fans to buy it by putting three unreleased songs on it. If we already have everything, maybe we shouldn't bother. After all, we won't feel compelled to buy the "best of" set…

And maybe that's the most annoying thing, here : I don't have any good reason to buy this set, except that it's gonna be a tremendous frustration if I don't…

I think it's a nice release. It will be great to have these songs in one place. And, despite the fact I've heard all these songs, I'm anxious to purchase this. A lot of my copies of these songs are not of the best quality, if I own them at all.

Now, the greatest hits collection is not for me. But there are a lot of casual fans out there who might not be familiar with some of the earlier albums (as hard as that may be for us to comprehend).

I hope the "Cars Can't Escape" version here is the slower demo version that only had Jay on the piano. That version was beautiful, but always was cut off at the end as someone said "Beautiful" before the final note finished. I'll pay the 30 bucks for that song alone if they have cleaned it up. I think I have most, if not all of these tracks from the archives, but I really hope they have improved on the sound. I think most hardcore Wilco fans would expect that to be done before they shell out money for tracks that had for years and that were free.

That's a great version, but my guess is this will be the "official" version they released for free on their web site.

$85 is a lot especially since Kicking Television, which was also 4x LPs, was only 70... maybe it's colour vinyl?

Not trying to be a schmuck here, but just wanted to point out that Kicking Television came out in 2005...nine years ago. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine prices going from $70 to $85 in that time span.

I Love My Label is included, and that was a dBpm release, so Wilco is probably involved to some extent.

"I Love My Label," "Dark Neon" and "Unlikely Japan" are all from the dBpm era. Strangely, other tracks from post 2011/nonesuch split, even tracks from "The Whole Love" Deluxe edition, weren't included.

• Message From Mid-Bar - Speak Into the Rose 10" EP, “The Whole Love” Deluxe edition
  • Speak into the Rose - Speak Into the Rose 10" EP, “The Whole Love” Deluxe edition
  • Sometimes it Happens - Linda Thompson/Brian Patten cover - iTunes “The Whole Love” bonus track and “The Whole Love” LP
  • I Got You (alternative version) - "This is 40" soundtrack
  • You Never Know (7 Worlds Collide Version with Neil Finn and Liam Finn)
  • Art Of Almost (ALT Version) - Speak Into the Rose 10" EP
  • Black Moon (Alt.) - “The Whole Love” Deluxe edition
  • I Might (demo) - Speak Into the Rose 10" EP
  • Me Avivé (Spanish version of Dawned on Me) - iTunes only single
I was hoping we'd get some of The Wilco Book songs on this, just because I'd like to hear some of that on vinyl, maybe I can hope for a vinyl pressing at some point though.

The track list includes "Hummingbird (Alternate Version)," and as far as I can tell, this is the "Soma Version" from The Wilco Book. I don't recall any other alternate versions of that song.

Only track I'm not sure where it came from is "What Light." This is an ablum track and it doesn't list this as Live. I not familaer with What Light being released commercially as a live track anyway. Anyone know?

Several of the bonus tracks from vinyl version of Kicking Television are missing also.

1. "Kamera"
  2. "Just a Kid"
  3. "Monday"
  4. "Outtasite (Outta Mind)"

Not trying to be a schmuck here, but just wanted to point out that Kicking Television came out in 2005...nine years ago. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine prices going from $70 to $85 in that time span.

The CD version was 2005, as Tinnitus pointed out the LP was only in 2010. A 15 dollar price hike for only 4 years is pretty excessive, IMO, unless it's on coloured vinyl, or has some other bells and whistles. But on the other hand Bob Dylan has a 4X LP Basement Tapes set coming out soon for 90 dollars, so, I guess that's the world we live in now. :(

Well, the problem is not only that we've already heard it all. The problem is that some of us have already bought everything. I mean, I've bought YHF, then I bought it again (the australian tour edition, which wasn't neither cheap or easy, from Paris), I've bought all the soundtracks, comps, tributes and benefit CDs to get the likes of "Old Maid" (superb), Let Me come Home (fabulous) or Any Major Dude (marvelous), I've bought the CD singles and all the extended editions etc. of every album, having already bought the initial releases. And I'm not talking about vinyl editions (which I bought).

And I already have compiled my own "rarities" playlist with the EXACT SAME SONGS on it (except it includes the Whole love bonuses as well). It still is gonna be a beautiful release, but it's a little bit annoying. At the same time, maybe it's exactly what this is all about : not forcing the most dedicated fans to buy it by putting three unreleased songs on it. If we already have everything, maybe we shouldn't bother. After all, we won't feel compelled to buy the "best of" set…

And maybe that's the most annoying thing, here : I don't have any good reason to buy this set, except that it's gonna be a tremendous frustration if I don't…

Annoying? Really? I don't get you people.

Looks like the vinyl version omits the live tracks, but it does include a download card for everything on the CD version.

SIDE 1: Childlike And Evergreen (DEMO) / Someone Else’s Song (DEMO) / Passenger Side (DEMO) / Promising / The T.B. Is Whipping Me — with Syd Straw / I Am Not Willing

SIDE 2: Burned / Blasting Fonda / Thirteen / Don’t You Honey Me / The Lonely 1 (WHITE HEN VERSION) / No More Poetry

SIDE 3: MONDAY (DEMO) / At My Window Sad And Lonely (Jeff Tweedy solo) / One Hundred Years From Now / A Shot In The Arm (REMIX) / ELT (King Size demo) / Nothing’severgonnastandinmyway (again) (David Kahne remix)

SIDE 4: She’s A Jar (Austin demo) / Tried And True / Student Loan Stereo / True Love Will Find You In The End / Via Chicago (Austin demo) / Airline To Heaven (alternate)

SIDE 5: Any Major Dude Will Tell You / The Good Part / Cars Can’t Escape / Camera / Handshake Drugs (First Version) / A Magazine Called Sunset

SIDE 6: Bob Dylan’s 49th Beard / Woodgrain / More Like The Moon / Let Me Come Home / Old Maid / Hummingbird (alternate)

SIDE 7: Just A Kid — with The Blisters / Kicking Television / Panthers / One True Vine / The Thanks I Get / Let’s Not Get Carried Away

SIDE 8: Glad It’s Over / Dark Neon / The Jolly Banker / Unlikely Japan / I Love My Label

Makes sense to remove the live tracks.  Not a bad vinyl tracklisting, but it's very disapointing that "Who Were You Thinking of" isn't on the vinyl release.  It's live, but that's the only version of that song. I would have gladly sacrificed The Jolly Banker (since it's already on MA3) for that song.  I'm happy to be getting songs like "Cars Can't Escape and "Panthers" on vinyl. 

The CD version was 2005, as Tinnitus pointed out the LP was only in 2010. A 15 dollar price hike for only 4 years is pretty excessive, IMO, unless it's on coloured vinyl, or has some other bells and whistles. But on the other hand Bob Dylan has a 4X LP Basement Tapes set coming out soon for 90 dollars, so, I guess that's the world we live in now. :(

Gotcha. I had no idea the vinyl version of KT came out so much later, as the only vinyl I ever buy consists of old used jazz records at flea markets and such. 

Not too disappointed that the live tracks are removed since I doubt they were all recorded for analog anyways. Plus, if it stops it from becoming a 6LP extravagant set, thats ok too. Also the price is a much more reasonable $74. I will patiently wait for an Amazon.ca preorder because fuck Kung Fu and their ridiculous shipping prices and speed. Or not, looks like this is numbered and limited to 7000... might be best to jump in now.