Opening acts that blew away headliners

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble - Huey Lewis and The News

Not only a blow away, but odd opening act headliner pairing. Hey another thread!

My most memorable..not always blowing away the headliners but darn impressive!

Walkmen for Firewater

Lake Trout for Gibb Droll

Ash for The Bravery

Elliott Smith for John Spencers Blues Explosion

Beck and Ben Folds Five for Dave Matthews Band

Guster for Ben Folds Five

Sigur Ros for Bjork

Bob Dylan for Tom Petty

Foo Fighters for Red Hot Chili Peppers

Stone Temple Pilots for Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Jayhawks for Guster

Son Volt for John Mellencamp

The Soundtrack of Our Lives for Oasis

Thanks to Gravity for From Good Homes

and last but not least WILCO FOR NATALIE MERCHANT

Thanks for the tip o' the cap! I honestly can't think of an example besides the one I mentioned in the other thread.

Wilco opening for Natalie Merchant...I love Natalie, but wow...must have been a come down for people hearing her after a Wilco show. She is good but mellow...

The only one I can think of is Wilco opening for Sheryl Crow. Or that time I caught Mozart opening for Salieri, maybe.

Yes! I was going to go with that one until I remembered how much Stevie Ray embarrassed Huey. Well, that's how I felt. Most of the crowd seemed to want Stevie to shut the fuck up so they could hear choice cuts from Sports.

I saw that the Drive-By Truckers opened several shows for Eric Church a few weeks ago.  Had I known there would be a thread like this, I would have gone for no reason other than to have the winning entry!

Stevie Ray Vaughan blew away Eric Clapton

Uncle Tupelo outshone ("blew away" is a bit strong here) fIREHOSE

Pearl Jam blew away Red Hot Chili Peppers

I know that there are others, but I am having a hard time thinking of them. There are lots of shows where the opener measured up to the headliner, but maybe not blew them away.

The first thing that comes to mind was AC/DC (with Bon) opening for Nugent, 8/1/79. Highway To Hell had just came out, those guys were at their peak.

It's hard for me to think of many more. Unless it's a double bill I usually skip the opener.

australian band (recently reformed after nearly 30 years) 1927 opened up for Michael Bolton recently. i only went for 1927, but the bolt wasnt too shabby... albeit BORING. but hey? - had to get my moneys worth!

1979 (or thereabouts) -- David Johansen opened for South Side Johnny & The Asbury Jukes at a bar in Charleston, IL and almost caused a riot.

I saw At the Drive In open for this pop punk band called Gob. I'd never heard them, I was there for the headliner but within their 40 minute set they recalibrated my concept of rock music and made the headliners seem obsolete.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins open for Drivin' N' Cryin' at the Roxy in Atlanta back in 93 or so and it blew my 16 year old mind.

They were in town recording Siamese Dream and were just picking up sets wherever they could.  I had only heard Drown off the Singles soundtrack at that time, but I instantly became a fan.  Saw them 3-4 more times over the years, but never saw another show that amazing from them.