I just listened to the Eyes of the World from the Lincoln Feb '73 show. If there's a splice then it's well-hidden. I never heard it. But - the initial description could have very well described the initial release. I purchased my copy from iTunes, and there's no splice. Or I'm an audio-idiot, which view has some merit. 

The two shows included on this release (Dick's Pick #28) are both top notch. It's a must-have.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Shug,

Yeah, they did dress goofy, but I loved it.  Phil just looked like a dorky dad.  People just didn't understand it.  It was awesome!  What's interesting is that the Heads kind of adopted this hippy look, when no one in the band was really a hippy.  Garcia had longer hair, but he mostly work pants and a t-shirt.  My favorite Bob outfit is of course the late 80s when he was wearing the shorts and those aerobic socks with Reebocks.  I think those were women's shoes.  :P

I'll ask again, anyone seriously thinking about the Dead and Co tour?  I watched some of that 77 show Mayer did with Phil (which is weird considering Phil is not touring).  His playing fits in very well.  He's not a clone, yet his sound fits the music.  Will make it interesting.  I don't care for him singing though.  Just reminds me of his mainstream solo work…which I'm not a fan of.

@Shug,

I'll ask again, anyone seriously thinking about the Dead and Co tour?  

Nope. I'm not even interested enough to want to listen to a show.

They're now missing their two most talented musicians? No thanks. It's like seeing the Harlem Globetrotters without Meadowlark Lemon and Curly and/or Geese.

Yeah, I was kind of leaning toward going, but am not gonna buy a ticket.  If I feel like it, I'll head down to the arena night of the show and pick up a 20 dollar ticket.  I have a feeling there will be lots of extras.  I'm kind of exhausted with all the post-Dead stuff at this point.  Why doesn't Bob just use JK and do Furthur?  I'll never understand using a revolving cast of characters when they really needed to play with the same folks in order to get tight etc.  Good jamming gets over shadowed by lack of cohesion and everyone looking at each other, 'is this the change?'

I just listened to the Eyes of the World from the Lincoln Feb '73 show. If there's a splice then it's well-hidden. I never heard it. But - the initial description could have very well described the initial release. I purchased my copy from iTunes, and there's no splice. Or I'm an audio-idiot, which view has some merit. 

The two shows included on this release (Dick's Pick #28) are both top notch. It's a must-have.

I bought the download, too.  I cannot hear any splice, but it must be there, as described in that wikipedia posting.  The cut in the sole version on archive happens at about 3 1/2 minutes into the song and comes back as Jerry is singing "...the night comes so quiet...".  I would think this cut is in the master copy or the only copy that is floating around.  I've also never known them to go back and rework a Dicks Picks for later release, so I'd guess that all versions, disc or download, are the same with the patch coming from another show.  They did a pretty damn good job if that is the case.  Both the Dark Star and the Eyes from this show are among the best of the year, IMO.  Its hard to say if Feb or November/December 1973 was better, but they were both two definite peaks in a pretty great year.  

https://archive.org/details/gd73-02-26.sbd.kaplan.1208.sbeok.shnf

I bought the download, too.  I cannot hear any splice, but it must be there, as described in that wikipedia posting.  The cut in the sole version on archive happens at about 3 1/2 minutes into the song and comes back as Jerry is singing "...the night comes so quiet...".  I would think this cut is in the master copy or the only copy that is floating around.  I've also never known them to go back and rework a Dicks Picks for later release, so I'd guess that all versions, disc or download, are the same with the patch coming from another show.  They did a pretty damn good job if that is the case.  Both the Dark Star and the Eyes from this show are among the best of the year, IMO.  Its hard to say if Feb or November/December 1973 was better, but they were both two definite peaks in a pretty great year.  

https://archive.org/details/gd73-02-26.sbd.kaplan.1208.sbeok.shnf

Man. Quite a few songs are missing from the Dicks pick. Dang.

Came back from Lockn', where I heard lots of GD music and saw all 4 of them in different configurations. The music was all great. If forced to say which if the GD related sets i liked best, guess would go with the Saturday Phil show, with Warren and Carlos. Perhaps the biggest surprise was how great the Billy and the Kids set with Weir turned out to be. Surprise because Weir makes me nervous that he's going to completely blow it anytime he steps on stage. But this set, with Tom Hamilton on lead guitar and Mickey sitting un for the last part, was excellent. I'll have to look at the setlists, its all a bit of a blur right now, but I remember an excellent Let It Grow, and much more.

Following up on my previous post, the thing with Lockn' is the 2 stages, Oak and Ridge, are side by side. So while one band is playing the next band is getting setup on the other stage. Because of the Thursday rainout, Billy and the Kids got moved to Saturday, with Weir, in the slot just before Phil. So while Billy, Weir and Mickey were in stage making GD music together on the Oak stage, Phil was on the Ridge stage in the dark getting set for his show. He was out there for pretty much the entire Billy show, fiddling with his rig and getting ready. The maybe 50 feet that separated them in the physical world was nothing compared to what felt like the emotional distance between them. I'm probably making too much it, I have no "side" in thus, but it was weird to me to look over and see Phil fiddling around alone in the dark while the other 3 were playing together.

I'll ask again, anyone seriously thinking about the Dead and Co tour?  I watched some of that 77 show Mayer did with Phil (which is weird considering Phil is not touring).  His playing fits in very well.  He's not a clone, yet his sound fits the music.  Will make it interesting.  I don't care for him singing though.  Just reminds me of his mainstream solo work…which I'm not a fan of.

They're playing 2 here right before Thanksgiving. I'll go to at least one because my wife wants to and it, ultimately, ends up being a fun night out with a large chunk of people we know going and dancing and laughing and smiling for a night to tunes we all love. It's more fun than than a lot of other options for a night....

Regarding the Dead & Company shows, I may go see a show in St. Louis. I guess it depends on the ticket prices - not keen at seeing them in a hockey rink, though.

I was suppose to go see Ratdog with my St. Louis friend, back when Weir canceled the tour -- it was going to his first time seeing any actual GD member play before - so he was pretty bummed on the cancellation. This will make up for the lost Ratdog show, I guess.

On paper the band looks fine -- not a big Mayer fan - but he should make thing interesting, hopefully.  I am excited to hear what Oteil may bring to the table, too.

Ha. Maybe without the extra "than, though....

sounds better with the stutter. Get Mel Tillis to do radio promos.

I wonder what's going on with the documentary that Scorsese is a producer of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4143508/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_5

It's been listed as being in "post-production" forever. 

It was supposed to be a tie-in to the farewell shows (or at least the 50th anniversary), according to this old article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/martin-scorsese-producing-official-grateful-dead-documentary-20141023 

I'm intrigued to see what Oteil brings to Dead and Co. as well, but not enough to get me to a show. They may as well have Mike Huckabee on bass at this point. 

Probably would rather get any Dead fix from Phil and Friends, Joe Russo's AD, maybe Billy and the Kids. I can support the idea of going with a group of friends and having fun. Feel sorry for anyone who takes any mind expanding chemicals at the shows. 

The tour is not coming to my city (Phoenix, AZ) and I would definitely not travel out of state to see it.  Nor would I pay more that $50 for a good seat in an arena.

Personally, I'd much prefer to blast recordings of actual Grateful Dead concerts in my house than go see just about any of these Dead-related bands.  I'd also rather go see Dark Star Orchestra live, because its more important to me to hear the music played really well than to hear it played by its originators.  Like you said, Vacant, all bands need to play together ALOT before they get tight enough to really do GD music justice, IMO.  These bands with former members and revolving lineups or short-lived runs just don't play the music well enough for me to get very excited about it.  I might find it moderately enjoyable, but I'm not going out of my way to spend that kind of $ for a moderately enjoyable experience when I can have a better experience listening to old recordings at home.  Seeing the music as its being played live just isn't that much of a pull for me, but I have plenty of friends who think I'm crazy and would take seeing Weir solo at a real live concert anyday over listening to old recordings.

If I lived nearby Terrpain Crossroads, I'd consider going to see Phil and Friends do some of their year-specific shows (as long as its not the Chris Robinson Brotherhood as the Friends, I can't stand that band), but that is far away in California and the tickets are damn hard to get.

Good video of Phil and Friends with Santana, Haynes and Sless, Barraco and Molo from Lockn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZSKD0wNWk

Billy and The Kids with Weir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnqID16C0o

Not GD sets, but these 2 sets were my favorites from Lockn' 2015:

The Jefferson Airplane tribute put together by Jack and Jorma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4vzWmDuKg&feature=youtu.be

And acoustic Hot Tuna's set the next afternoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQlhsTfyQko&feature=youtu.be

My friend got two cheap tickets for the St. Louis' Dead & Company show. Looking forward to see how it pans out -- really looking forward to hear Oteil  ---- since I just saw Phil play with them over three days -- I not that upset that he won't be around this go around --- esp. happy that I don't have to worry about hearing him sing. Hopefully Mayer and Oteil will be allowed to push the tempo's a bit...

Also looking forward to seeing the Billy and Mickey playing again.

My friend got two cheap tickets for the St. Louis' Dead & Company show. Looking forward to see how it pans out -- really looking forward to hear Oteil  ---- since I just saw Phil play with them over three days -- I not that upset that he won't be around this go around --- esp. happy that I don't have to worry about hearing him sing. Hopefully Mayer and Oteil will be allowed to push the tempo's a bit...

Also looking forward to seeing the Billy and Mickey playing again.

A pal of mine who went to Lockn, also, was carping on Chris Robinson for "tragically butchering" the "Morning Dew." Any insight into his take? I know there is video available but I can't view at work....