I'd have to say IWTYH was probably my least favorite GD song EVER. Sorry, Brent. I was there for the first version and it might have been the biggest WTF? moment in my touring career.

I wasn't a fan either, but at least Brent could sing!

If you're looking for the lowest of the low, look no further Phil Lesh. I love him on the bass, but as a singer and songwriter, he's less talented than me! And I'm awful!!

Exhibit A, B and C:

Wave To The Wind

Childhood's End

If The Shoe Fits

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't a fan either, but at least Brent could sing!

If you're looking for the lowest of the low, look no further Phil Lesh. I love him on the bass, as a singer and songwriter, he's less talented than me! And I'm awful!!

Exhibit A, B and C:

Wave To The Wind

Childhood's End

If The Shoe Fits

Those are bad, but Phil gets a lifetime pass because of Box of Rain and Unbroken Chain. Also, Passenger and Pride of Cucomonga, and his co-writing on tracks like St. Stephen, Truckin', probably some other doozies.  

Always hated IWTYH, but then found this cover version online, just bass and vocal. Really dig it, maybe because I have two young daughters:

https://youtu.be/DibFt4L3z-I

Also, here is 20 seconds of Jerry Garcia laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXfwUN9M8k

I loved Eternity. eternity, Liberty 1st set closer was fun. I also thought Phil's tunes were good. It was just cool to see him writing and singing more. He hadn't really done any songs since Mars Hotel. Unbroken is one of my top 5. I found Days Between to be a bit tedious.

I don't mind the version with Willie Dixon taking the vocals (he co-wrote it with Weir) but it falls flat (for me) listening to Weir sing it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G35subqlRo

Always dug "Liberty" and agree on Days Between. I know the tune is full of juicy imagery and that a lot of fans have a soft spot for it, but it doesn't do much for me....

I would rank Days Between up there with Wharf Rat and Terrapin as Garcia and Hunter's greatest masterpieces. McNally recently wrote a retrospective article on the Dead in relation to the Fare thee Well shows. Included a deep discussion on Days Between's genius and origins. Love the lyrics and imagery, and the music is so intense and unique, unlike anything Garcia had written in years, if ever. Particularly the last 15 years or so, when he was just rewriting folk and blues tunes. I guess there are some people that prefer Believe it or Not or If I Had the World to Give...

Never heard that version of Eternity with Willie Dixon before. Nice.

I don't mind the version with Willie Dixon taking the vocals (he co-wrote it with Weir) but it falls flat (for me) listening to Weir sing it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G35subqlRo

Always dug "Liberty" and agree on Days Between. I know the tune is full of juicy imagery and that a lot of fans have a soft spot for it, but it doesn't do much for me....

I remember when Days was introduced people were calling it the new Terrapin :-P

Just listened to Samba for the first time this morning. I finally have technology that allows me to access archive.org and this is what I go to... Just kidding, it wasn't all that bad.

Welcome to the 21st century…regurgitated rhetoric and Vince Welnick Grateful Dead songs on demand.

This is always pleasant to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQFZ7Lx-rg

That is awesome.

Anyone know how Garcia and Bob got such clear, simple sounds out of their guitars?  I play lead in a Dead cover band and it's next to impossible to get volume and clear tone etc.  No head room, if that makes sense.  Jerry and Bob always sounded like their guitars really weren't amplified, if that makes sense.  Just a clean, pure sound.  

Incidentally, I was watching a vid of Trey on Charlie Rose and he was talking about how he was amazed at how the audience was totally focused on Garcia at shows.  It's amazing to me too, given that there was no real gimmick.  Just simple, clean, fluid notes.  And, excellent songs, of course.

Anyone know how Garcia and Bob got such clear, simple sounds out of their guitars?  I play lead in a Dead cover band and it's next to impossible to get volume and clear tone etc.  No head room, if that makes sense.  Jerry and Bob always sounded like their guitars really weren't amplified, if that makes sense.  Just a clean, pure sound.  

Not sure if you read the Grateful Dead Gear book - but I bet the above is discussed in the book.

Obviously the Dead spent a shit ton on gear --- of course it all starts with the musician, but I am guessing having great gear helps immensely.

That is awesome.

Incidentally, I was watching a vid of Trey on Charlie Rose and he was talking about how he was amazed at how the audience was totally focused on Garcia at shows.  It's amazing to me too, given that there was no real gimmick.  Just simple, clean, fluid notes.  And, excellent songs, of course.

I'm not sure that can be explained on a message board. Read up on the Wall of Sound. Bear, Meyer Sound, Alembic, were sonic pioneers. They were innovators in the field, and revolutionized concert sound. Bear's inspiration and insight of course came from hallucinations in which he could see the sound coming out of speakers, and then based his designs based on what he saw. 

Thanks for the links.  It's amazing how so much equipment and engineering went into such simple, yet awesome sounds.  Same goes for Phil.  He holds the bottom end, but you can hear the notes clearly among the other instruments.

My fake Jerry tone is basically turn treble up, bass down and turn treble down on guitar.  Unfortunately, I always end up just cranking everything because I can't hear shit in the band.  One main issue is that we have two drummers, two keys, an acoustic rhythm and electric rhythm.  It's not my band so I really have no say.  But the electric rhythm dude is always so loud!  Kind of frustrating.

Woke up this morning with "Samba in the Rain" repeating over and over in my head, all the way through shower time and all. Thanks guys.

:dj

I think I may avoid listening to this song for a second time if I can help it. I just listened to 'Broken Arrow' for the first time from the 30 Trips set and thought it was pretty far removed from all of the GD I am accustomed to. I may have to avoid that song again as well.

:dj

I think I may avoid listening to this song for a second time if I can help it. I just listened to 'Broken Arrow' for the first time from the 30 Trips set and thought it was pretty far removed from all of the GD I am accustomed to. I may have to avoid that song again as well.

Love Broken Arrow. Maybe you had to be there.