I liked Broken Arrow.  It was always fun to hear a Phil tune when it was a rare occasion.  Never thought I'd hear him sing lead on the majority of Garcia songs.   :stunned

RE: that bonus footage from the GD movie…at one point there is this dude behind Bob dicking around with all this electronic equipment.  Is that Ned Lagin?  I think it's during Dark Star or Other 1.

BTW, I could watch that footage over and over.  So fun to Jerry just zoning out and the close ups of their hands.  Bob never plays a standard chord.  Nuts!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Ned. They did Seastones during those shows, and Ned sat in on portions of the Dead set. Check Nedbase. It's a real thing: http://nedbase.blogspot.com/

Wow.  Didn't know that even existed.  Thanks for the link.  He is playing on the Dark Star in that footage.  Whatever he is doing seems to be inaudible though. 

Has anyone here heard any substantial rumors about what the next Dave's Pick might be?

9.17.1982....second set is breathtaking...

10.10.1982 very impressive...

Yeah, that Dew is fantastic from Portland. The whole show is very good, even with a few warts of flubbed lyrics, etc. here and there. First set Throwing Stones-> Deal to end it is right on and, imo, nothing finer than a Bertha to kick off a show.

Yeah, that Dew is fantastic from Portland. The whole show is very good, even with a few warts of flubbed lyrics, etc. here and there. First set Throwing Stones-> Deal to end it is right on and, imo, nothing finer than a Bertha to kick off a show.

Early Throwin' in the first set was fun.  It was cool to see the song evolve.  It's so crazy to me how those In The Dark tunes were basically introduced so soon after Go To Heaven.  They seem like late 80s songs, but really are early 80s.

They played both Touch of Grey and Throwing Stones at my first show in '82, so to me they always sounded like early 80s. I remember thinking it was weird that they didn't come out til '87.

A lot of people love 10/10, but I'm a much bigger fan of the night before. That Frost run would make a nice box set.

Garcia's change in demeanor and voice from 81-82 is pretty striking.  That fun loving dude from the Radio City run press conference a mere 18 months before was almost gone.  I might be overstating things a bit, but damn he was still 39 years old.  Of course, the playing was still incredible.

^ I read in a blog there is much speculation that Vol. 16  will be 7/31/82 Austin, TX. 

I'm pretty sure 7/31/82 is going to be the '82 show in the "30 Trips Around the Sun" box set.

Well, the NRPS set from Veneta 8/27/72 was officially released on Kufala. And The Dead's show from 8/27 is an official release now. As far as collaborations there's a little bit of the end of the acoustic set from Harpur (Nelson & Dawson only) on a Dick's Pick & the same on a Road Trips from the Fillmore on 5/15/70. That's all I can think of now.

Well, the NRPS set from Veneta 8/27/72 was officially released on Kufala. And The Dead's show from 8/27 is an official release now. As far as collaborations there's a little bit of the end of the acoustic set from Harpur (Nelson & Dawson only) on a Dick's Pick & the same on a Road Trips from the Fillmore on 5/15/70. That's all I can think of now.

Thanks, I knew something was released.  I had it in my head that a whole show was released with NRPS set and the full Dead set.  Have to check those out.

BTW, this is some footage of Dead & Co.  I think it sounds great.  Drummers seem a bit tired, but Mayer fits in well.  He's what I think the band has needed all along…a guitarist who doesn't play exactly like Jerry, but whose personal sound fits in with the Dead.  I think I'll head down the venue here in Atlanta when they come and try to get a cheap ticket.  Although, I heard some rumbling that some of the shows have sold out…?

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126576/More-Dead-and-Company-Rehearsal-Clips-Surface

Anyone in the NY area catch any of these JRAD shows at the Brooklyn Bowl this weekend?  Incredibly hot shows by all accounts.  I was in NYC this weekend, but at the Beacon on Saturday night.  This band does GD music like no other.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126650/Keep-It-Going-The-Case-For-More-Joe-Russos-Almost-Dead

http://liveforlivemusic.com/show-reviews/joe-russos-almost-dead-but-fully-alive-at-brooklyn-bowl-night-3/