I feel ya, dude! :thumbup   I get overwhelmed like that too, sometimes.  And in those times, its astounding to me that more people don't get it. :headbonk .   The Dead were an incredible American artistic and cultural institution in a  league by themselves.  An easy target for ridicule by the ignorant and the opportunistic, for sure. but I predict the more time passes the higher esteem the Grateful Dead will be held in by people who understand.

Well said! 

Have you guys tried the grateful grabber? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grateful-grabber/oaodbbeaklbdmjcghbkcfgmioafnjbfe

I think you can download even only-stream shows. But shhhhh 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

​Has anyone else picked up the new Uncut with the Ramble On Rose disc? I figured they would discuss this lost album in a little more depth but that did not happen. This seems to be just a regular old compilation put together by 3 fans. I am glad they chose songs from different shows. It would have been easier to source the Europe '72 shows for almost every song, but instead we get a nice mix. The Brown-Eyed Women from 8/24/71 is particularly nice with a faster tempo and alternate lyrics. 

Have you guys tried the grateful grabber? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grateful-grabber/oaodbbeaklbdmjcghbkcfgmioafnjbfe

I think you can download even only-stream shows. But shhhhh 

Will that app work on a Mac?  Is it free?  I use Audio Hijack, but that cost $.  I got the bundle that includes Fission for editing, so I can take out the gaps between songs that are inherent in the archive streams.  The editing does take some time.  Well worth the money, IMO, unless there is now something for free that works just as well or better.

I did not see that Uncut disc, HH, but I have been listening to August '71, a unique time (Feb-Aug) when they were a five piece with Pigpen (as opposed to a couple months later when they were a five piece with Keith for a short time).  August '71 shows in Berkeley and Hollywood were on fire!

I found a matrix of the Santa Fe shows.  They sound great.  The mix is so much better than the live feed.  Bruce is way up there.  Trey really did fit in well, now that I listen back.  That Viola Lee was a highlight.  God bless the guy.  Had to basically learn most of the Dead catalog and immediately headed out with Phish…who, incidentally, played a bunch of new tunes!  

http://www.deadandcompany.com

Dead and Co. full tour.  I'm surprised they are playing such large venues.  Will they be able to fill them?  Not sure many Mayer fans will want to see him play Dead tunes.  I kind of want to go to this.  Oteil is pretty great and we'd definitely get a good drums/space.

http://www.deadandcompany.com

Dead and Co. full tour.  I'm surprised they are playing such large venues.  Will they be able to fill them?  Not sure many Mayer fans will want to see him play Dead tunes.  I kind of want to go to this.  Oteil is pretty great and we'd definitely get a good drums/space.

Well, the best pair of seats I can pull up now for the Philly show is behind the stage. So yes, looks like there is good demand.

I feel ya, dude! :thumbup   I get overwhelmed like that too, sometimes.  And in those times, its astounding to me that more people don't get it. :headbonk .   The Dead were an incredible American artistic and cultural institution in a  league by themselves.  An easy target for ridicule by the ignorant and the opportunistic, for sure. but I predict the more time passes the higher esteem the Grateful Dead will be held in by people who understand.

What's amazing about them was that there was no shtick.  Just dudes who played the way they wanted to play without any real agenda.  Garcia's sound, for example, is just so simple-sounding.  No gimmicks like speedy riffs, distorted hard rock etc.  Then Phil who plays bass like it's some sort of orchestral hybrid instrument.  I could go on.  ;)

Well, the best pair of seats I can pull up now for the Philly show is behind the stage. So yes, looks like there is good demand.

Interesting.  Tickets haven't officially gone on sale, so that might change.  Maybe the demand will be from folks who weren't able to go to FTW and people who did and want more.

Does anybody have Dicks Picks 28 from Lincoln Nebraska 2-26-73?  If so, is there a splice in Eyes of the World partway through Garcia's first solo?  There is only one copy on archive and it has a nasty splice, cuts right to partway through the next verse. 

This is a very good Dark Star>Eyes and if there is no splice in the Dicks Picks, I'll be buying it.  (Note the Dicks Picks is two different shows and they played Eyes at both)

Does anybody have Dicks Picks 28 from Lincoln Nebraska 2-26-73?  If so, is there a splice in Eyes of the World partway through Garcia's first solo?  There is only one copy on archive and it has a nasty splice, cuts right to partway through the next verse. 

This is a very good Dark Star>Eyes and if there is no splice in the Dicks Picks, I'll be buying it.  (Note the Dicks Picks is two different shows and they played Eyes at both)

from Wikipedia:

This release is known to have a patched cut in the original soundboard tapes. If certain soundboards are missing parts of a song those creating the release will attempt to patch the cut if possible. Sometimes this is from an audience source or from an entirely different show. Unfortunately there is no database for these fixed soundboards and hence is up to the listeners to stumble upon such a discovery. Track 3 on Disc 2, Eyes of the World, contains a portion of the Eyes of the World played on 1973-02-22 which occurs at 2:40 to 4:34 on the track. Track 5 on Disc 4, Morning Dew, contains a patch from the version of Morning Dew played on 1973-06-29, which occurs from 00:45 to 1:17 on the track. It is possible that there are other fixed cuts on this release.

I've never noticed it though. Perhaps I wasn't listening attentively enough. I'm going to check it out tonight. YMMV.

It's one of my favorite Dick's Picks though!

Ya know, it's really unfortunate, considering the quality of the shows and the recordings, that they never played Bird Song during their '72 Europe tour. 

It IS weird, especially since it was such a major jam vehicle. It was revived 2 months after Europe, played through September '73, then disappeared until September '80 - a gap of seven years! One shudders at the thought of the "just exactly perfect" band of '77 doing Bird Song.

What's amazing about them was that there was no shtick.  Just dudes who played the way they wanted to play without any real agenda.  Garcia's sound, for example, is just so simple-sounding.  No gimmicks like speedy riffs, distorted hard rock etc.  Then Phil who plays bass like it's some sort of orchestral hybrid instrument.  I could go on.   ;)

Yeah!  I love that they never catered to their audience, never felt the need to play the "hits" every night.  They held fast to the notion that if they were interested in what they were doing then a certain percentage of their audience would be, too.  Do your thing and you will attract the people who get it.  I've often wished more bands would do that.

Would've been nice if they dressed a bit better in the 80s and 90s though.   Phil in sweatpants and Jerry in a dirty black t-shirt makes watching some of those official videos less pleasant!  Ha ha ha! :D

from Wikipedia:

This release is known to have a patched cut in the original soundboard tapes. If certain soundboards are missing parts of a song those creating the release will attempt to patch the cut if possible. Sometimes this is from an audience source or from an entirely different show. Unfortunately there is no database for these fixed soundboards and hence is up to the listeners to stumble upon such a discovery. Track 3 on Disc 2, Eyes of the World, contains a portion of the Eyes of the World played on 1973-02-22 which occurs at 2:40 to 4:34 on the track. Track 5 on Disc 4, Morning Dew, contains a patch from the version of Morning Dew played on 1973-06-29, which occurs from 00:45 to 1:17 on the track. It is possible that there are other fixed cuts on this release.

I've never noticed it though. Perhaps I wasn't listening attentively enough. I'm going to check it out tonight. YMMV.

It's one of my favorite Dick's Picks though!

Good detective work, thanks, man!