Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this before, but I do think either Clinton or Sanders will beat any GOP candidate out there.  But which do thing will have a better chance of being able to govern?  Bernie's policies are great and all, but are they realistic with this congress and in this political climate?  Is Clinton more or less likely?

I do think if Sanders is the nominee he will bring in new / young voters, who did not vote in 2014, which might have the possibility changing congress.  I don't think Clinton will bring in many young people, as they will be disillusioned with a Sanders' loss.    

I miss Paul Wellstone.

Ditto. He was real. Truly dedicated to making a difference in society. The lies told about his memorial service were disgusting.

I mentioned this before, but I do think either Clinton or Sanders will beat any GOP candidate out there.  But which do thing will have a better chance of being able to govern?  Bernie's policies are great and all, but are they realistic with this congress and in this political climate?  Is Clinton more or less likely?

I do think if Sanders is the nominee he will bring in new / young voters, who did not vote in 2014, which might have the possibility changing congress.  I don't think Clinton will bring in many young people, as they will be disillusioned with a Sanders' loss.    

I don't think you should underestimate Rubio. His biggest hurdle is actually getting the nomination. But if he does, I think he has a real chance of defeating either Clinton or Sanders.

Yeah, Rubio is the only one that really concerns me that way. On paper, he's a dream candidate -- especially against old geezers like Hill or Bernie.

His difficulties begin when he starts speaking, especially when it isn't scripted.

Wellstone was incredible. What lies were told?  I actually knew someone (an acquaintance) who was in the plane when he went down.

Sad day to be sure.

LouieB

I just know that there was a big hubbub on how the memorial service was turned into a partisan rallying cry for Mondale, who was picked by the DFL to run against Norm Coleman. Conservatives painted it worse than it probably was. Seemed a bit distasteful to me, but what can you do...

I don't think you should underestimate Rubio. His biggest hurdle is actually getting the nomination. But if he does, I think he has a real chance of defeating either Clinton or Sanders.

Really?  I am not from Florida, so I don't get much exposure to him outside the National Media and presidential stuff.  He seems like an empty suit and kinda bland (which is probably why the GOP establishment likes him.)

Also it appears he willing to be a Trump lite now as well in order to woo Trump supporters back to the establishment.  If Trump is your racist Uncle, Rubio is his racist son, he just says things a little nicer.  

I'm curious to see examples of Rubios racism. It seems like the "go to" for some on the left to brand people on the right as racist. I believe it gets thrown around way too much.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/02/marco-rubio-very-upset-president-obama-went-mosque

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/4/10918372/marco-rubio-muslims-media

I suppose in all fairness this isn't "racist" but Islamophobic.  But 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Nothing in his remarks were racist or Islamophobic. Not even close.

No they weren't. They were too immersed in Orwellian double speak to hit that bluntly. So Obama speaking at a mosque to insure American Muslims that they're part of our nation and welcome is used as an example of how he's "dividing our country on racial lines"? Because at the end of the day Rubio's a Dolphins fan, but you may be a Patriots fan?

Curioser and curioser. It seems Marco is trying to channel some of that Palin oratory. Probably why he's stumped on the same script for a year.

Holy moly, I watched the highlights over at npr. Rubio repeated the same bit so identically 3 times that I thought I'd accidentally bumped the rewind. Christie starts tearing him up and he just repeats "The problem is this notion that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing..."

It was like someone dosed his water bottle and he went into a fugue state.