Politics 2016 (election edition)

I learned a lot about the caucuses this time. I did not realize how members of the campaigns essentially state their case or stump for their respective candidate. I may be wrong but they speak on their merits and why the people in the room should vote for their candidate and then the votes are written on a piece of paper, placed in the box and then counted....? Again I may be wrong but if true, I was blown away by the process!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoyed the caucus process - up until this whole coin toss business. There's got to be another way -- perhaps they have to lock the doors until someone comes out a clear winner -- that's the point of a caucus -- persuasion, right?

An outcome shouldn't come down to luck of a coin flip.

Who gets to call the coin toss?

If there is 5 delegates -- and the caucus comes out as a tie - can't each get 2 1/2, rather than 3 and 2?

Tally up all the 1/2s' at the end of the overall State of Iowa results and you have a winner. I suppose it can still end up a tie - state wide, though. At this point in the process, I don't think it matters if ends up an actual tie, anyway -- the primary will continue regardless.

So Mr. Trump has kinda gone off the rails again.

He seems a lot less gracious the day after the caucus then he did in his speech.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-ted-cruz-twitter-iowa_us_56b20e77e4b08069c7a59077?oa3ba9k9

Dare I say this is the beginning of the end of Trump's candidacy?

Also on the Dem side it is getting a bit pithy with the debates.  

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/dem-primaries/267942-sanders-wont-debate-thursday-unless-clinton-agrees-to-future

This whole thing needs to be laid at the feet of Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  Worse Democratic Chair ever.

wow, Rubio really is a slimy toad... i guess Florida doesn't really what conflict of interest really means?

http://observer.com/2016/01/poor-little-rich-boy/

But it was only after getting into politics that Mr. Rubio really started making big money—and he made it very quickly, with the help of a few intimate companions—especially after taking over as Florida House majority leader and whip in early 2003. In fact, his income nearly tripled during the two years—from $122,000 to $330,000, based on financial disclosure forms—and spiked again in 2008, which may be tied to the fact that he became Florida House speaker in November 2006. 

Mr. Rubio was able to cash in in spectacular fashion because Florida’s preposterously flaccid political rules allow politicians to simultaneously hold public office and work as “consultants” to major law and lobbying firms—much like the arrangement that recently landed Sheldon Silver in prison in New York. That means that they technically can’t “lobby” but do it anyway and call it “consulting.” So, for example, when Mr. Rubio became House majority leader in 2003 he went to work for the powerhouse lobbying firm of Broad and Cassell, which is precisely the point where disclosure forms reveal a giant spike in his income.

wow, Rubio really is a slimy toad... i guess Florida doesn't really what conflict of interest really means?

Meh. That's nothing. I'm not holding my breath for the day that legislators decide to make a rule that outlaws insider trading for the same legislators.

That's the typical road for lawmakers to get rich: They meet with lobbyists, buy stock in the firms that the lobbyists advocate for, then pass laws that will benefit those same companies, then get rich on the stock.

Meh. That's nothing. I'm not holding my breath for the day that legislators decide to make a rule that outlaws insider trading for the same legislators.

That's the typical road for lawmakers to get rich: They meet with lobbyists, buy stock in the firms that the lobbyists advocate for, then pass laws that will benefit those same companies, then get rich on the stock.

I guess that is the appeal of Trump.  They guy is already rich and can't be bought.  It is too bad that he is such an asshole and he probably wants to bang his daughter.

I guess that is the appeal of Trump.  They guy is already rich and can't be bought.  It is too bad that he is such an asshole and he probably wants to bang his daughter.

Except that he can be bought, and often is. Side note. Is the light always too bright for Meliana?

I'm waiting for someone to ask him a question about his disgraceful "institute"

I want to bang Trump's daughter too. At least we have that in common.

That is the narrative he represents (which as you pointed out is false).  But to his supporters that is his biggest appeal.  

I'm waiting for someone to ask him a question about his disgraceful "institute"

There are so many things in his past that the media could go after.  I am not sure what they are waiting for.  

I think we can all see where November is headed.  Clinton vs. Rubio.  Kudos to Bernie for doing so well in Iowa and he will certainly win in New Hampshire, but after that its going to far more difficult.  Meanwhile Rubio's third  place puts him way ahead of the other mainstream candidates and he will certainly come out on top when all is said and done.

LouieB

Isn't this similar to what the right says about Hillary? I'm not trying to be a smart ass but im pretty sure she's guilty of using her political positions to make a lot more than $300k.

Isn't this similar to what the right says about Hillary? I'm not trying to be a smart ass but im pretty sure she's guilty of using her political positions to make a lot more than $300k.

#feelthebern

Yeah - Bernie was all over this last night, Clinton still doesn't have a clear answer - expect that she thinks that all the money she receives doesn't affect her voting - whatever - it's impossible for anyone to receive thousands and thousands of dollars from a corporation and not be influenced - why else would a corporation give the money unless they want or hope for something in return.

Fun debate last night ---- Sanders definitely has to brush up on his foreign policy.

I watched some of the debate last night. Hillary acts completely different when she starts talking about her emails. Loud and her voice almost goes to another pitch. Kind of like when one of my kids is lying to me.

Bernie seems like a level headed guy until he starts talking about wealth inequality.

I'm just curious, what about Bernie is appealing to you guys?

I watched some of the debate last night. Hillary acts completely different when she starts talking about her emails. Loud and her voice almost goes to another pitch. Kind of like when one of my kids is lying to me.

Bernie seems like a level headed guy until he starts talking about wealth inequality.

I'm just curious, what about Bernie is appealing to you guys?

Trying to keep the big money out of politics -- a little wealth equality would help, too.

I do think his free college plan is a pipe dream -- if, somehow, he can get the cost of tuition down, I'd be all for that. I think he should start with that.

His lack foreign affairs scares me a bit.

I stilll go back and forth between him and Clinton. I do like Sanders' passion.

I don't find many of Bernie's positions on any issue appealing (and don't plan to vote for him), but I find him very appealing as a person.  He is principled and authentic -- unlike most of the other candidates from the two parties.  Plus, the prospect of serial Larry David appearances on SNL is irresistible!      

Bernie Sanders has practically caught Clinton in national polling: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/268362-sanders-tied-with-clinton-nationwide-poll

#feelthebern

As far as supporting Sanders over Clinton, I've been in two unions in my short 28 years on this earth and he vastly the better candidate for working people. The chart posted above is also why I support him.