Most Anticipated Albums of 2018

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to Dr. Dog's new one called Critical Equation.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 4.51.43 AM.png

Those guys have been prolific. I just got a handle on Abandoned Mansion after listening to Psychedelic Swamp. They've been on a really solid run and have tried just about everything an outfit like that can artfully integrate (weird keyboard driven dancey stuff, their old Beatles-meets-Beach Boys approach, mellow soul-infused stuff, wind instruments, bigger rock moves) so it's fun to see how they draw on their big palette of sounds now. Much like when a new Wilco record comes out.

Also, the album from Chicago punk band Banned is finally being released after 40 years in the can! A friend of mine is actually friends with their drummer and was instrumental in helping to bring this great stuff to the light of day. Check it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUD_I0vOPTM

So yeah, full album of this stuff coming out sometime in the next few months! Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Those guys have been prolific. I just got a handle on Abandoned Mansion after listening to Psychedelic Swamp. They've been on a really solid run and have tried just about everything an outfit like that can artfully integrate (weird keyboard driven dancey stuff, their old Beatles-meets-Beach Boys approach, mellow soul-infused stuff, wind instruments, bigger rock moves) so it's fun to see how they draw on their big palette of sounds now. Much like when a new Wilco record comes out.

Listen to their new single "Listening In"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cmHsBA0WLA

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! One Chord To Another is one of my all time favourite albums! They played 3 or so shows in BC but none near me, I regret not making the road trip, that would have been the tour to see.

Sloan 12 to be released April 16th. Just added a lot of tour dates too.

Sloan 12 to be released April 16th. Just added a lot of tour dates too.

I got my pre-order in. Single sounds OK, though Pat's songs aren't usually my favourites. I'm currently trying to get my work to send me to Victoria on the same night as Sloan's show.  :shifty

Oh, and First Aid Kit has a new album coming out in a couple weeks. 

Looking forward to that one, too. If you haven't yet, check out the catchy video for "It's a Shame."

I'm also eager for the new Brandi Carlile, Brian Fallon, Erika Wennerstrom, and, most of all, the Eels in April.

What was the last Malkmus record?  Was it the one with that stupid Senator wants a blowjob song?

Definitely looking forward to the new Dr. Dog.  I've never been able to see them in concert for one reason or another, but I have tickets in hand for this tour.

What was the last Malkmus record?  Was it the one with that stupid Senator wants a blowjob song?

Definitely looking forward to the new Dr. Dog.  I've never been able to see them in concert for one reason or another, but I have tickets in hand for this tour.

You mean the one with the acerbic wit? That was on Mirror Traffic, which I kind of remember feeling kind of B- about. There was Wig Out at Jag Bags after that, which for whatever reason I don't remember at all.

John Prine's Tree Of Forgiveness

New single, "Summer's End": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLaIFTmJF8

Love that guy. 'Flag Decal' is still socially relevant today.

What was the last Malkmus record? Was it the one with that stupid Senator wants a blowjob song?

Definitely looking forward to the new Dr. Dog. I've never been able to see them in concert for one reason or another, but I have tickets in hand for this tour.

Turns out a lot of senators want blowjobs.

Dr Dog was pretty dull when I saw them at NFF. Not my thing.

• 2 weeks later...

cate also has a solo album on the way, i believe, and some sort of residency collab thing with bradford cox. shes really pumping out material these last few years

That's good news.  Hopefully she'll do some more touring.