LP11 Speculation

I can't get over the combination of facts:

- We know they've recorded a bunch of new stuff at the Loft already

- They're playing Austin City Limits in the fall

- Glenn already has replaced his Schmilco kick drum head

Does this mean a new record is going to surprise us sooner than later? I know it's just a bass drum head but why would he change it already, unless it's not album related and it's just a goof. What is Adam West with a bomb trying to tell us?

Oh, and also. I'm predicting LP11 will rock harder than Schmilco, but not as hard as Star Wars.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Adam West as Batman in that particular iteration of Batman movie trying to get rid of a bomb for an obscene amount of time. It became a bit. Can’t throw it here because there are kids there etc. Batman & Robin took on The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler and Catwoman. The Dark Knight Rises tipped their hat to Batman: The Movie when Batman had to get a bomb out of Gotham by using his Batwing.

I’m guessing it’s symbolic of the times that we live in. Are you Adam West or the bomb about to go off?

I remember Adam West as Batman in that particular iteration of Batman movie trying to get rid of a bomb for an obscene amount of time. It became a bit. Can’t throw it here because there are kids there etc. Batman & Robin took on The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler and Catwoman. The Dark Knight Rises tipped their hat to Batman: The Movie when Batman had to get a bomb out of Gotham by using his Batwing.

I’m guessing it’s symbolic of the times that we live in. Are you Adam West or the bomb about to go off?

Nicely done.

Personally I hope this means Wilco XI is a concept album about The Dark Knight. Odes about Nightwing, ballads about Harvey Dent, and a jaunty waltz about Harley Quinn. Honestly they could probably repurpose The Joke Explained as a song about The Joker. 

In all seriousness, do you guys really think the new album is 100% already in the can and they're just sitting on it? Or do you think there is still at least a little work to be done to complete it?

They haven't said enough (from the gossip mill/interviews I've seen at least) to know. If it is done then we're waiting for graphic design, mastering, pressing etc but we might all be jumping the gun. Only time will tell.

When would they have recorded it? Jeff has been on solo tour for more than a year (off and on), and has released two albums. They only recently convened after 18 months off I thought.

Someone on here with a better memory could offer the references. They had instagram stuff showing them working in the loft and Jeff mentioned some things in interviews.

When would they have recorded it? Jeff has been on solo tour for more than a year (off and on), and has released two albums. They only recently convened after 18 months off I thought.

There was definitely a session at the Loft in, I believe, January or February. Remember the Wilco Instagram account posted a photo of the band at a Blackhawks game? Anyway, I believe the record is probably close to done (or very nearly). Whether they’ll play any new material until it’s actually out remains to be seen...

If they were to release one without much fanfare, why not do it on the eve of Solid Sound? Those in attendance get to listen to its debut and, as an added bonus, everyone leaves with a copy as you exit the gate.

Or instead the band plays April Wine and Asia covers.

I know it's just a bass drum head but why would he change it already, unless it's not album related and it's just a goof. 

I have no idea what the Batman symbolism means.  I hope the new album has nothing to do with Batman.  But if I was the drummer in a major band that was doing its first tour in two years, I wouldn't use the same drumhead I was using to tour for an old album. 

There was definitely a session at the Loft in, I believe, January or February. Remember the Wilco Instagram account posted a photo of the band at a Blackhawks game? Anyway, I believe the record is probably close to done (or very nearly). Whether they’ll play any new material until it’s actually out remains to be seen...

Would that be long enough to record a whole new album? Surely not.

Would that be long enough to record a whole new album? Surely not.

It depends. If they're assembling the album piecemeal with lots of overdubs, they way they did Star Wars, they don't ever have to be in the same room at the same time to get it done. If they're trying to track live, like Sky Blue Sky, it might be a different story.

Schmilco basically sounds like (and probably is) Jeff's solo recordings that he handed to the guys and said "finish this."  If that's the method they've used to record new material, a new record could come at any time and virtually no full-group time in the studio would have been necessary.  

Thank you, but I wonder if some of that material ended up on Warmer?

He was talking about Warm as it was being released, and Warmer was already recorded. But it's all part of the same stream. Wilco demos start off the same way as the Sukierae songs, and the Warm/Warmer songs, it really comes down to how he allocates them at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

So now we've seen 3 debuts, one of which was the recording and you had to be at Mass MOCA (I wasn't).

If 3 songs could be a clear indicator (and they probably never are in a Wilco record), the 2 they debuted last night and the 1 a few folks listened to at the Genelec installation seem to point towards a lush and pretty album of ballads. Neither the spiky rock of SW, nor the off-kilter folk of Schmilco.

Or they're sitting on another 8-9 crunchy rockers, or noisy freakouts. Still hard to say.

Thank you! Did anyone get some of the third one that was played as part of an installation?

One of my taping buddies was going to try. I got to sit in with the first group on Friday for Random Name Generator, and I was in the 2nd group on Saturday for the new song, I didn't get in on Sunday for Art Of Almost. It's a shame they used that room, all brick and glass, the sound was bouncing all over that very lively room, they should have put some baffling up. As an audio engineer I can't figure out why you would demo a state of the art monitoring system when the listener was hearing just as much (if not more) sound from reflections then directly from the source. All that being said it was amazing, I just had to imagine what it would sound like instead of what it actually did sound like, and getting to talk with Tom Schick afterwards was a SS highlight for me. Anyway, I'm not sure a recording of this would have done it justice.