LP11 Speculation

He also did the talk with Pitchfork pre-festival in 2015 when he announced Star Wars (and then debuted the entire album at the festival the next night), so i'm not sure that holds too much water.

I think it got cancelled because of the weather evacuation, but Jeff was to record an episode of the Talkhouse podcast with Cate Le Bon in the middle of Saturday's festival this year. Hopefully they ended up recording it anyway somewhere...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derail things. There's definitely something that makes me uncomfortable about Pitchfork also hosting their own festival. Especially since they now rarely report on other festivals unless it's after the fact (the Kermit the Frog stuff today) or bad news (Woodstock). But major festival lineups will announce their line ups and Pitchfork won't say anything, which feels weird especially from a journalistic view. I hate to put my tinfoil hat on but do they give more coverage, better coverage, to artists that are playing their fests? 

This is the norm in journalism.  Books have been written on this topic.  I recommend this one:  https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/inventing-reality-the-politics-of-news-media_michael-parenti/312170/#isbn=0312020139&idiq=2252601

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who knows next to nothing about the boss, can someone explain that to me?

OMG, how did I beat everyone to this one?

Let me try.

Born to Run is a broad reaching, sweeping gesture of a dramatic rock record. It is expansive. I suppose Being There is too.

Nebraska is insular. It's psychological. The hugeness of Nebraska comes from how intimate, up close and small it is.

Ode To Joy rated 9/10 in the latest Uncut Magazine. The review contains the intriguing line "If Being There was Wilco's Born To Run, this is their Nebraska.

Whoever wrote that, I'll bet they sat in front of a mirror admiring their image for a long time when they came up with that line.

As someone who knows next to nothing about the boss, can someone explain that to me?

It means don't expect Glenn or Nels to do anything interesting on this one.

Whoever wrote that, I'll bet they sat in front of a mirror admiring their image for a long time when they came up with that line.

Not sure it does mean that, the thrust of the review is more about the political aspect of Nebraska. It was an album of demos featuring only one musician (Bruce), I don't expect the new album to sound like that.

Jeff has said Glenn’s drumming percussion is a big part of the record. On the one song that’s been released, Nels played a really nice part. Seeing a behind the scenes video that was shown with “Before Us” at Solid Sound, Glenn was definitely shown doing something interesting percussion-wise. Looked like perhaps another in-Glenn-tion as Jeff would call it. I don’t understand how people are already negative about this album before it has even been released or even leaked.

Here's a question about Love Is Everywhere (beware):

Who's playing the arpeggiated lead and who's playing the atmospheric lap steel parts?

Maybe someone else can weigh in if they know, or maybe we'll have to wait to see them perform it live, but my guess would be Nels on lap steel and Pat on the arpeggio/hammer-on/pull-off electric riff.

Jeff has said Glenn’s drumming percussion is a big part of the record. On the one song that’s been released, Nels played a really nice part. Seeing a behind the scenes video that was shown with “Before Us” at Solid Sound, Glenn was definitely shown doing something interesting percussion-wise. Looked like perhaps another in-Glenn-tion as Jeff would call it. I don’t understand how people are already negative about this album before it has even been released or even leaked.

That sounds promising.

I'm not negative about the album.  I'm very hopeful for the album, but a review in one of the more reputable and well written music publications comparing it to Nebraska (a solo acoustic guitar singer-songwriter album...which is exactly the opposite of what I want from Wilco, particularly after Schmilco) makes me worry Jeff is underutilizing his band...again.   

Now, as mentioned by someone else, maybe the review was alluding to the "political aspects" of the album.  We'll see, but that doesn't seem to jibe with what Jeff has had to say recently about political songs.

Hopefully the Uncut review is just a case of the reviewer trying too hard to draw a clever parallel that gets a pull quote.

That sounds promising.

I'm not negative about the album. I'm very hopeful for the album, but a review in one of the more reputable and well written music publications comparing it to Nebraska (a solo acoustic guitar singer-songwriter album...which is exactly the opposite of what I want from Wilco, particularly after Schmilco) makes me worry Jeff is underutilizing his band...again.

Now, as mentioned by someone else, maybe the review was alluding to the "political aspects" of the album. We'll see, but that doesn't seem to jibe with what Jeff has had to say recently about political songs.

Hopefully the Uncut review is just a case of the reviewer trying too hard to draw a clever parallel that gets a pull quote.

Just because a reviewer makes a pithy, quotable comment, that doesn’t invalidate the possibility that he was correct. And regardless what any of us may “want” from Wilco, they’re going to give us what they feel right now.

regardless what any of us may “want” from Wilco, they’re going to give us what they feel right now.

Oh, that never occurred to me. 

Nevertheless, I hope we're not going to get a record like Nebraska.

Let us discuss the lengths of these new songs that we haven’t heard.

Bright Leaves - 4:10

Before Us - 3:22

One And A Half Stars - 3:43

Quiet Amplifier- 5:50

Everyone Hides - 3:00

White Wooden Cross - 3:12

Citizens 3:03

We Were Lucky - 4:57

Love Is Everywhere (Beware) - 3:34

Hold Me Anyway - 4:00

An Empty Corner - 3:46

I am beside myself that 2 songs finish exactly on the minute: Hold Me Anyway & Everyone Hides. How very punctual.

Wow.  Those are the exact same track lengths of the songs on Nebraska!!!  

Ok, I made that up.   :D

Wow.  Those are the exact same track lengths of the songs on Nebraska!!!  

Ok, I made that up.   :D

Plus one can take one letter from each song and it will read: NebraskaTwo ---- pretty wild,crazy stuff....  

Quiet Amplifier- 5:50

Everyone Hides - 3:00

Let us discuss the lengths of these new songs that we haven’t heard.

Quiet Amplifier- 5:50

Everyone Hides - 3:00

I am beside myself that 2 songs finish exactly on the minute: Hold Me Anyway & Everyone Hides. How very punctual.

So about 42 minutes in total? I'm sure I've said this before but I really appreciate Star Wars, Schmilco, both the Warm albums, and now Ode to Joy being a single LP. I feel like that's a good length for most albums. A lot of records this year (National, Kevin Morby, etc) could probably have been stronger being edited down a bit, IMHO. The CD era ended up with a lot of records that would have been 10-15 minutes shorter on vinyl and probably better for it, glad to see things shorten down, for some artists at least. 

So about 42 minutes in total? I'm sure I've said this before but I really appreciate Star Wars, Schmilco, both the Warm albums, and now Ode to Joy being a single LP. I feel like that's a good length for most albums. A lot of records this year (National, Kevin Morby, etc) could probably have been stronger being edited down a bit, IMHO. The CD era ended up with a lot of records that would have been 10-15 minutes shorter on vinyl and probably better for it, glad to see things shorten down, for some artists at least.

Wikipedia lists the run time as 45:40.

I’ve seen the track lengths somewhere else about a month ago. I have no idea where though, but it’s been around since at least mid-July.

I agree with you about The National record. I skip over the choral tracks.

I think this all sounds pretty positive.  I'm amazed at how the depth of Love is Everywhere opened itself to my ears with repeated listens. And I choose to interpret the Nebraska parallel as simply saying it was the more mature classic that followed the break-out classic (Born To Run/Being There). The comments Jeff has made about Glenn's experimentation with the drums assure me I won't be reminded of Nebraska.

Comparing Wilco's catalogue to that of the so-called Boss is not how I want to spend my time. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Thunder Road is a pretty good song.

New article about new album where Jeff discusses Bright Leaves, Citizens and Glenn. Thanks to Diane for posting this on the FB page. This didn’t come up for me today, when I did a Google news search.

https://www.kexp.org/read/2019/8/21/jeff-tweedy-staying-unique-accepting-joy-and-new-wilco-album-ode-joy/?fbclid=IwAR06TNaAql0gDBllJ6JW_iVIsD1uM_IUywW9qw5u7aWrJFDd3ZwVK6ABQYw

New article about new album where Jeff discusses Bright Leaves, Citizens and Glenn. Thanks to Diane for posting this on the FB page. This didn’t come up for me today, when I did a Google news search.

https://www.kexp.org/read/2019/8/21/jeff-tweedy-staying-unique-accepting-joy-and-new-wilco-album-ode-joy/?fbclid=IwAR06TNaAql0gDBllJ6JW_iVIsD1uM_IUywW9qw5u7aWrJFDd3ZwVK6ABQYw

Holy shit:

"A foley artist is a guy that used to make the sound effects for radio plays. One of the devices they used to make it sound like you were hearing troops marching was a thing called a marching machine. It's basically a bunch of wooden dolls attached to a rope grid that you can slam on something. None of the dolls land at the same time, so it has that sound of marching. Basically, the snare drum on the whole record is a marching machine, or it's an element throughout the record that is maybe more prominent than a traditional tom or high hat. "