LP11 Speculation

Has anyone gotten notice that their vinyl has shipped? I was hoping I’d have it on release day but that clearly isn’t happening (which is annoying).

i have a local record store i like to support. there are so few of them now. so i'll be heading there tomorrow morning (they also have a nice cafe for breakfast) to get my cd.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone gotten notice that their vinyl has shipped? I was hoping I’d have it on release day but that clearly isn’t happening (which is annoying).

I've heard nothing.

I echo the sentiment of supporting your local store. My professional and familial obligations make record store outings a biannual holiday in my life so I preordered the vinyl knowing that past experience foretells that it would come late. At least I'll get the download tomorrow!

Mine was shipped on the 1st, and tracking says it was delivered 15 minutes ago.  (I ordered it last week....so maybe the more recent orders got shipped first?)

Which sucks, because I usually get deliveries in the late afternoon, when I'm home.  My front stoop is an inferno of all-day almost 100 degree direct sunlight.   Not good conditions for a record to sit in until I get home at 5:30.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/03/766576603/wilco-ode-to-joy-new-album-review

I'd call that a B minus review if I ever saw one, but at least it's thoughtful and well written. Not a mention of a phoenix from Uncle Tupelo's ashes, the YHF label debacle, or rehab which is a victory we might enjoy often for hanging in there with this band for a quarter of a century.

I ordered pink vinyl several months ago... don't recall exactly when... I did get my shipment notification on Oct. 1, but it says delivery isn't scheduled until Oct. 9, which sucks.  Hopefully it will be sooner than that... it seems like I've been getting the vinyl pre-orders from Wilco on release day for the past few years... at least I'll be able to get the downloads tomorrow.

I ordered pink vinyl several months ago... don't recall exactly when... I did get my shipment notification on Oct. 1, but it says delivery isn't scheduled until Oct. 9, which sucks.  Hopefully it will be sooner than that... it seems like I've been getting the vinyl pre-orders from Wilco on release day for the past few years... at least I'll be able to get the downloads tomorrow.

Same here, but there it was when I opened the mailbox, there is hope. 

No shipment notification for me yet (ordered the pink vinyl on 07/16/2019).

I spoke too soon. Shipped and arriving next Tuesday. Not sure why I bother ordering directly from the band. It costs more and arrives late.

I spoke too soon. Shipped and arriving next Tuesday. Not sure why I bother ordering directly from the band. It costs more and arrives late.

Maybe for the added benefit of someone else winning an autographed guitar?

I've read maybe a handful of reviews in recent days that, while praising Ode, take shots at both Star Wars and Schmilco, which I find funny because the critical response to both of those records was also pretty strong. I can see why some folks believe Schmilco hasn't aged well (in 3 short years) and I also understand the critique that Schmilco felt slapped together, kinda disjointed, not a strong holistic effort. But Star Wars (stupid title aside) is a really, really strong record (at least for me) that is listenable all the way through, has urgency to it, and felt like more of a creative leap than anything post SBS.

Why the Star Wars shade? 

The following is a rant. And yes, I am aware I make the same rant every. damn. album. release.

I got a shipping notification on October 1st, definitely not enough time to get to my Canadian prairie home in time for Friday's release. It's a little frustrating that even a lot of US people seem to be getting delayed considering a few weeks ago the Wilco Facebook page was boasting that if you pre-ordered they'd ship it so it arrives on release day. I don't understand how some companies, like Sub Pop or Merge, ship their stuff in a way that even international orders arrive on time, yet Kung Fu, FOR YEARS, has had a problem with even domestic orders, all while charging way more than anyone else does for shipping (at least to Canada... $20USD!!!). Sucks to see a good intentioned organization like Wilco get bogged down by Kung Fu. Somehow I can buy the new National album, direct from the band's website, and it arrived two days early, for a fraction of the shipping price.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that we should support local stores. However, I don't know if this is just a regional issue, but all of my local stores are a little hit or miss with new releases. Either they don't get them on time, or if they do, they get one copy and you have to be there at opening on Friday to get it. Not to mention the Wilco store usually has exclusive vinyl colours, tshirts, socks, pencils, etc that mom and pop shops won't have.

This concludes my Ted Talk.

I've read maybe a handful of reviews in recent days that, while praising Ode, take shots at both Star Wars and Schmilco, which I find funny because the critical response to both of those records was also pretty strong. I can see why some folks believe Schmilco hasn't aged well (in 3 short years) and I also understand the critique that Schmilco felt slapped together, kinda disjointed, not a strong holistic effort. But Star Wars (stupid title aside) is a really, really strong record (at least for me) that is listenable all the way through, has urgency to it, and felt like more of a creative leap than anything post SBS.

Why the Star Wars shade? 

Star Wars rules. I think their ears are broken.

I think it's funny that people lump SW in with Schmilco.  The only thing similar about them is their short length and the fact that they were borne of the same sessions.  I would gladly take more records like SW, whereas I am kind of over the Schmilco direction.

The following is a rant. And yes, I am aware I make the same rant every. damn. album. release.

I got a shipping notification on October 1st, definitely not enough time to get to my Canadian prairie home in time for Friday's release. It's a little frustrating that even a lot of US people seem to be getting delayed considering a few weeks ago the Wilco Facebook page was boasting that if you pre-ordered they'd ship it so it arrives on release day. I don't understand how some companies, like Sub Pop or Merge, ship their stuff in a way that even international orders arrive on time, yet Kung Fu, FOR YEARS, has had a problem with even domestic orders, all while charging way more than anyone else does for shipping (at least to Canada... $20USD!!!). Sucks to see a good intentioned organization like Wilco get bogged down by Kung Fu. Somehow I can buy the new National album, direct from the band's website, and it arrived two days early, for a fraction of the shipping price.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that we should support local stores. However, I don't know if this is just a regional issue, but all of my local stores are a little hit or miss with new releases. Either they don't get them on time, or if they do, they get one copy and you have to be there at opening on Friday to get it. Not to mention the Wilco store usually has exclusive vinyl colours, tshirts, socks, pencils, etc that mom and pop shops won't have.

This concludes my Ted Talk.

I agree 100%.  Once they stopped including the digital download card in the vinyl releases, they kind of forced my hand to buy from them to get the digital files.  But yeah, it's real annoying.  Hopefully my record shows up, sans shipping notice, in the next day or two, but I am not optimistic!

Nothing Jeff has put out since tops Star Wars. Some of the gushing reviews over this album feel a bit like the emperor has no clothes. Maybe some people have a strong personal connection or reaction to this music, that for others falls kinda flat compared to the past records. 

Nothing Jeff has put out since tops Star Wars. Some of the gushing reviews over this album feel a bit like the emperor has no clothes. Maybe some people have a strong personal connection or reaction to this music, that for others falls kinda flat compared to the past records. 

Let's not kid ourselves.  There's gushing after every release.  Going back at least as far as WTA (after what many saw as the letdown of SBS), this forum has had people on release/leak day saying "Hooray, Our long national WIlco nightmare is over. Wilco has regained its footing."

One lap through and I’m not totally sure what to make of it.

Oh,TCP.... bummer, eh?

It is the price I have to pay to live in the country with the most freedom. #sorrynotsorry #gocanucks

My copy of Ode arrives tonight. Can't wait. In terms of Schmilco and SW, I thought both were pretty weak. Schmilco had a few good songs and SW had a few more good songs, but overall, not up to Wilco standards. That said, I thought Warm and Warmer were great returns to form. Hoping for the same with Ode.

I think the new record is pretty impressive on first listen and I also like Star Wars more than Summerteeth and Being There so take that as you will.

As for the Star Wars overlook in general, it seems like a matter of perspective. If a listener came in on Phase 1 (AM, BT, MA) or Phase 2 (ST, YHF, AGIB) Wilco, then it looks to this observer that many in that group slept on Phase 3 (SBS, WTA, TWL), and got off the train before Phase 4 (Sukierae, SW, SCH). That album was fun, lyrically interesting, brought a different musical style to Wilco, and was cohesive as an album which was something that The Whole Love lacked to a fault. "Random Name Generator" is a top single in the catalog and I count "Cold Slope/King of You", "Magnetized", and "Where Do I Begin" amongst my favorite Wilco. 

That said, if "Random Name Generator" is not your jam, Star Wars will never be your jam and that's totally cool.