LP11 Speculation

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit:

"A foley artist is a guy that used to make the sound effects for radio plays. One of the devices they used to make it sound like you were hearing troops marching was a thing called a marching machine. It's basically a bunch of wooden dolls attached to a rope grid that you can slam on something. None of the dolls land at the same time, so it has that sound of marching. Basically, the snare drum on the whole record is a marching machine, or it's an element throughout the record that is maybe more prominent than a traditional tom or high hat. "

That was shown in the “Before Us” video at Solid Sound.

Holy shit:

"A foley artist is a guy that used to make the sound effects for radio plays. One of the devices they used to make it sound like you were hearing troops marching was a thing called a marching machine. It's basically a bunch of wooden dolls attached to a rope grid that you can slam on something. None of the dolls land at the same time, so it has that sound of marching. Basically, the snare drum on the whole record is a marching machine, or it's an element throughout the record that is maybe more prominent than a traditional tom or high hat. "

That sounds very promising.  Although the only song released so far uses regular snared drum and toms throughout.  Hopefully well hear the kind of playfulness he's describing on the other tracks.  

Something of a tangent here, but I can't believe a second track from Ode hasn't been released yet. Not expecting the whole album to leak, but with the band hitting the road this week in Europe, I thought we'd have a second offering by now. 

It is weird that we haven't heard anything given that the tour starts so soon. I think it'll be anticlimactic if the second single is either "White Wooden Cross" or "An Empty Corner". Not that I am not looking forward to the master takes, but I am craving some new Wilco.  

It is weird that we haven't heard anything given that the tour starts so soon. I think it'll be anticlimactic if the second single is either "White Wooden Cross" or "An Empty Corner". Not that I am not looking forward to the master takes, but I am craving some new Wilco.  

I am too! I feel like Warm took a long time from the first single till the second.

How many Schmilco songs had we heard before they did their first Schmilco tourdate? I know I saw Wilco on Sept 2 and 3rd 2016 before Schmilco came out and that was the first time a lot of those songs had been played live and the first time anyone had heard a lot of them. 

Maybe they'll pull a Bon Iver and just randomly drop the album on the internet before the physical release date. 

I am too! I feel like Warm took a long time from the first single till the second.

How many Schmilco songs had we heard before they did their first Schmilco tourdate? I know I saw Wilco on Sept 2 and 3rd 2016 before Schmilco came out and that was the first time a lot of those songs had been played live and the first time anyone had heard a lot of them.

Maybe they'll pull a Bon Iver and just randomly drop the album on the internet before the physical release date.

“Locator” and “If I Ever Was A Child.”

• 2 weeks later...

So if my calculations are correct, the only OTJ songs not debuted yet are Citizens, Quiet Amplifier and We Were Lucky. I'll be curious to see if they roll some of these out as they continue touring, or if some will be relegated to the Deeper Down, EKG, Sunloathe status.

yeah we're definitely getting son-of-Schmilco/Warm/Warmer.

That review definitely gives that impression.  I'm still flimsily hopeful that that won't be the case.

Hopefully there's something to this line: "Throughout Ode to Joy, Wilco thinks and plays restlessly."

yeah we're definitely getting son-of-Schmilco/Warm/Warmer.

Don’t think so. The new songs I’ve heard so far in some capacity (Before Us, White Wooden Cross, An Empty Corner, One and a Half Stars, Everyone Hides, Hold Me Anyway) are really good and don’t remind me of those three very much. I don’t remember any track on Schmilco/Warm/Warmer being described as having “6 minutes of darkening clouds.”

Thanks to a kind soul I was able to listen to the Oslo show. It was my choice to ingest/digest some new Wilco. I figured that I've already heard 3 new songs, so I'm down to get to listen to 5 more. I've played the new songs a lot since this past Tuesday. I wish that I remembered how to do a spoiler. It is very much Glenn's chance to shine. The sounds that he's creating definitely reward first listen and subsequent listens. And that's just from one live show. I'll look for the spoiler tag, but I will say that I'm extremely looking forward to October 4th. Oh, I can say that Hold Me Anyway is my favorite of the 8 that have been played live. Jeff's lyrics and some sweet Nels' licks combined with a cool & playful arrangement make it feel like an album closer to my ears. 

My prediction is that while it can sit right next to Schmilco, Warm and Warmer with that under-hyped, intimate kind of sound, that it will be a more realized vision of some of the individual strengths of the group. More of a feeling of ensemble development than Schmilco.

I guess what I'm thinking is if any of us were looking for a classic hard turn, we're not going to get it. But a patient ear might get some real satisfaction out of hearing them refining a course that Jeff's been on for a few years now.

Oh, I can say that Hold Me Anyway is my favorite of the 8 that have been played live. Jeff's lyrics and some sweet Nels' licks combined with a cool & playful arrangement make it feel like an album closer to my ears. 

This seems like another Anglo-pop kind of Kinks/later Small Faces jam. The Nels solo reminds me of Queen. Very fun song.

This seems like another Anglo-pop kind of Kinks/later Small Faces jam. The Nels solo reminds me of Queen. Very fun song.

Yes. Spot on! In terms of Wilco, I'd say the solo brings to mind Everlasting Everything, Where Do I Begin & Magnetized. 

***Tangent*** I hate the way Schmilco is written off as a Tweedy/JT catalog extension. To my ears, it's always been much more. Lower-energy than most Wilco, granted, but still full of craft and artistry from the sextet. Aw well.

True. No other drummer would play what Glenn does on Cry All Day. The guitar textures on Common Sense are a perfect Tweedy/Cline matchup. John's basslines are as melodic as ever. And there's usually a solid 20-35% of what is making your ears happy that can later be identified as a Jorgensen, Sansone addition.

True. No other drummer would play what Glenn does on Cry All Day. The guitar textures on Common Sense are a perfect Tweedy/Cline matchup. John's basslines are as melodic as ever. And there's usually a solid 20-35% of what is making your ears happy that can later be identified as a Jorgensen, Sansone addition.

Right, that's exactly what I meant, put better than I could.

Now, all due appreciation of Schmilco aside, when that latest reviewer wrote "continuation of Wilco’s roiling of imminent threats and storms into deceptively pastoral folk and rock," I interpret the reviewer's point to be that it's more of a return to YHF & AGIB era form; at least of the "Radio Cures" "Ashes" or "Wishful Thinking" variety.  That's what that quote brings to mind for me and what I'm imagining for Ode.

This is a good post. I'm sure I've said it before but John Stirratt's bass playing on Schmilco is criminally underrated.

This is dead on. "Cry All Day" is major Wilco.

Now, all due appreciation of Schmilco aside, when that latest reviewer wrote "continuation of Wilco’s roiling of imminent threats and storms into deceptively pastoral folk and rock," I interpret the reviewer's point to be that it's more of a return to YHF & AGIB era form; at least of the "Radio Cures" "Ashes" or "Wishful Thinking" variety.  That's what that quote brings to mind for me and what I'm imagining for Ode.

Me too.  Only 3 more weeks until we find out!

OK, um, for those of us (myself included to some degree) who are worried Ode is going to be another iteration of recent Tweedy recordings, check this gem out: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98F7I1rva6I

Hold Me Anyway. Only so-so audio quality, but the build and complexity of the sonic layering, Tweedy's more exuberant vocals as the song peaks, and tenor of Nels' guitar lines makes me supremely confident Ode to Joy is going to be another fine step forward (and into a slightly different direction) for the band. I'm pumped.