LP11 Speculation

Oh, sweet redemption. Someone actually listened to the music and thought of what was going on inside of it, instead of just grappling with the cultural signifiers on the surface.

"Tweedy's vocals are often a spectral presence, not so much singing as transmitting the tunes from some otherworldly, ghostly realm. “One and a Half Stars” finds him reciting the troubled lyrics in a mechanically detached way that resembles a robot tasked with taking on the role of wounded balladeer, a striking effect that somehow doesn’t detach from the gorgeous melody the song is graced with. Despite all the restraint, Ode to Joy is far from a minimalist undertaking. There's a lot going on, only you can't hear most of it much of the time thanks to adventurous mixing that – in the spirit of vintage dub – zooms in and out of instruments. Unusually for a rock act, guitars play a distant second fiddle to drums and percussion, with drummer Glenn Kotche's mechanical and deconstructed patterns catapulting the likes of opener "Bright Leaves" – a brooding ballad of everyday anxiety set to a seesawing martial beat – to unsettled, startlingly odd territories far removed from the straight-ahead acoustic singer-songwriter strumming most of these songs are rooted in."

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikael did a podcast that was released today, and at the end you can hear "White Wooden Cross." There's a lot going on in the song based on a good headphone listen.

http://www.workinitpod.com/podcast/episode-02-04-wilco-keyboardist-mikael-jorgensen-wilco-does-indeed-love-you/

Mikael did a podcast that was released today, and at the end you can hear "White Wooden Cross." There's a lot going on in the song based on a good headphone listen.

http://www.workinitpod.com/podcast/episode-02-04-wilco-keyboardist-mikael-jorgensen-wilco-does-indeed-love-you/

Wow. I appreciate the recorded version a lot more than the video of them doing it live someone took on their phone. Who knew?!

I can't wait to listen to this whole conversation.

The Riff magazine review is hard to believe. He compares "Everyone Hides" and "White Wooden Cross" to "Jesus, Etc" which seems like a weak comparison at best. So, when the rest of the review is full of comparisons, It becomes hard to believe they are not as poor.

That said, someone of the Facebook group declared "Everyone Hides' the worst song to ever come out of Wilco and promptly sold their tickets for the upcoming tour. I think it was shocking to me because there is an "Everything Hides" on nearly every Wilco album:

"Summerteeth", "Kamera", "I'm A Wheel", "Just A Kid", "Sonny Feeling", "I Might", "Random Name Generator", and "Someone to Lose".

I felt like they had never listened to Wilco before if they didn't see this song coming.

Selling your tickets because of one new song you don’t like is ridiculous. Potentially hearing one new song you don’t like makes all the dozens of others they might play of no value? Stupid. I haven’t seen Wilco since the Summerteeth tour. When I see them in two weeks, I couldn’t care less how many new songs I dislike.

Lots of interesting stuff about joining the band and touring by Mikael in that podcast. But that host, my God. He would not shut up! Kept talking over Mikael. Incredibly annoying.

Lots of interesting stuff about joining the band and touring by Mikael in that podcast. But that host, my God. He would not shut up! Kept talking over Mikael. Incredibly annoying.

Yeah, I thought he asked a few questions that I've never heard asked before, especially to a non-Jeff Wilco member, about the inner workings of the band. Stuff that a nerd like me would find interesting. But he cut off almost all of Mikael's explanations with questions that weren't as interesting. When Mike was explaining that the band members were all technically employees, the host never let him finish that and at one point shortly after, I believe Mike tried to sum it up as "it's pretty casual" which I interpreted as everyone's obligation/relationship to Wilco, which is very interesting, but the host took that to be about whatever they had got off topic about. Maybe I'm wrong there.

It's hard to be too critical though since this does appear to be something the host just does for fun.

I think that's the most I've ever heard Mike speak before. Obviously Jeff gets the most interviews and I feel like we hear from Glenn and Nels regularly, so it's cool whenever Pat, Mike, and John get the spotlight.

It looks like several folks over in the FB group are listening to the record today. I’m guessing that they received it early from the Wilco store.

Great interview with Mikael. Extremely interesting to hear him talk about what happens before a show. He also mentioned that they tend to look at prior setlists for each specific city to see what they played last time. I think we’ve heard maybe Jeff mention the same thing in the past.

Love how the album version of White Wooden Cross sounds. I have 3 of the September shows and noticed how much percussion Glenn is doing on it. I don’t recall hearing it played like that at Solid Sound.

I also noticed how there’s also a lot of stuff going on in An Empty Corner. I didn’t notice it at Solid Sound or on the NYC Taper recording. I don’t blame NYC Taper. I blame Joe’s Field. Maybe both tracks were played a bit differently back in June.

I plan on hitting up Bull Moose Records on Thursday evening for the midnight release of Ode To Joy.

Having been at Solid Sound, this version of "White Wooden Cross" is way more interesting. In the live setting it came across as boring version of "Summer Noon" but the choices on the mix are kind of, well, weird. The echo/reverb on the piano which sound more like stabs here than they did live was unexpected. The vocal delivery is much more vulnerable. Plus, there are so many tiny pieces moving around in the background that get lost in the live wash. The piano arpeggios stood out, as did the actual background vocals that sound like they were only recorded with a room mic, as well as the guitars that sounded akin to "We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)" or just John Lennon's mid-70s output (like "#9 Dream") which is what I always associated that song with.

I agree that "Everyone Hides" is a lot like "Someone to Lose" and "RNG" etc. but the ending is terrific.

I'm looking forward to hearing the album. Based on the seven songs I heard in Antwerp last week, the drumming is really unusual and great.

The Riff magazine review is hard to believe. He compares "Everyone Hides" and "White Wooden Cross" to "Jesus, Etc" which seems like a weak comparison at best. So, when the rest of the review is full of comparisons, It becomes hard to believe they are not as poor.

That said, someone of the Facebook group declared "Everyone Hides' the worst song to ever come out of Wilco and promptly sold their tickets for the upcoming tour. I think it was shocking to me because there is an "Everything Hides" on nearly every Wilco album:

"Summerteeth", "Kamera", "I'm A Wheel", "Just A Kid", "Sonny Feeling", "I Might", "Random Name Generator", and "Someone to Lose".

I felt like they had never listened to Wilco before if they didn't see this song coming. 

Couple of tracks (White Wooden Cross, Hold Me Anyway, and We Were Lucky) are now on YouTube. Have to say, after a couple of listens to each, I was a little underwhelmed, but I'm coming around to the first two - We Were Lucky will take more time. Without a full listen, methinks Ode will be an album where you can't cherry pick tracks to enjoy on a whim. I think Ode, perhaps more than any other Wilco album, will be one you put on from beginning to end rather than saying "I'm really in the mood for X or Y song from Ode." Rather, I think the thought process will be "I'm really in the mood for Ode to Joy." My theory is this record will be heavily dependent on a full listening experience as well as on the sequencing and progression of the album from track to track - again, more than past Wilco records where it's easier to say I want to hear this song or that song right now. 

Hope that makes sense...my morning coffee is still kicking in...

Couple of tracks (White Wooden Cross, Hold Me Anyway, and We Were Lucky) are now on YouTube. Have to say, after a couple of listens to each, I was a little underwhelmed, but I'm coming around to the first two - We Were Lucky will take more time. Without a full listen, methinks Ode will be an album where you can't cherry pick tracks to enjoy on a whim. I think Ode, perhaps more than any other Wilco album, will be one you put on from beginning to end rather than saying "I'm really in the mood for X or Y song from Ode." Rather, I think the thought process will be "I'm really in the mood for Ode to Joy." My theory is this record will be heavily dependent on a full listening experience as well as on the sequencing and progression of the album from track to track - again, more than past Wilco records where it's easier to say I want to hear this song or that song right now. 

Hope that makes sense...my morning coffee is still kicking in...

I really like "We Were Lucky". It's disquieting and almost feels like a Tom Waits song circa Swordfishtrombones. Take that with the grain of salt that this is Jeff's voice not Tom's, but that guitar tone is straight up "Shore Leave" and the drums are approximate to "Underground". Maybe a much more successful realization of unease than "Common Sense". 

I really like "We Were Lucky". It's disquieting and almost feels like a Tom Waits song circa Swordfishtrombones. Take that with the grain of salt that this is Jeff's voice not Tom's, but that guitar tone is straight up "Shore Leave" and the drums are approximate to "Underground". Maybe a much more successful realization of unease than "Common Sense". 

Agreed on all counts. That songs is fantastic. I hope to see it live.

Anyone know of a place to stream (or a straight-up MP3 download) of the leak? For some reason, my phone/iPad won't process the leaked versions available thus far...I may be a bit antsy in pantsy, but waiting for my version to arrive Friday/this weekend seems so far off right now. 

I agree that "Everyone Hides" is a lot like "Someone to Lose" and "RNG" etc. but the ending is terrific.

I'm looking forward to hearing the album. Based on the seven songs I heard in Antwerp last week, the drumming is really unusual and great.

Yeah, there's two ways to look at my assertion. The first is that it's interesting to see how they reconfigure that type of song to fit the record and the other is that they are writing a version of the same song over and over. I come from the perspective of the former as it helps me understand the vibe of each record. It's not like any song in that list is one to one a copy of the other, its more that certain elements connect them with others in that list be it tight drumming, a loopy guitar line, or whatever.