LP11 Speculation

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty well aware of this. I might even assume after attending 100s of shows, he's gotten to know the guys in the band a bit.

I was just curious about how appearing in the video came about. Who asked him? How long did it take? Any anecdotes from the filming?

I figured he was someone who works for them, or is affiliated with them in some way and is not just another rando forum user like me.

I figured he was someone who works for them, or is affiliated with them in some way and is not just another rando forum user like me.

Just a rando forum user, albeit one who's been around for a long time now. :wave

How did bbop get into the theatre before Pat?? Can he exist in multiple places at once?! Is that how he attends so many concerts?? I need answers.

I didn't drop him off until after the movie screened. Get your head around that one... ;)

Time-turner, Hermione style!

Actually, this could be it (though I know nothing about the Potterverse)... :ninja

Pretty well aware of this. I might even assume after attending 100s of shows, he's gotten to know the guys in the band a bit.

I was just curious about how appearing in the video came about. Who asked him? How long did it take? Any anecdotes from the filming?

Sorry, I just saw this for some reason. Some of their management team reached out to me (as well as some of their other longtime friends around town) and asked if I was free.

My parts were probably done in like an hour total, but it was over two days (i.e. the pickup and dropoff scenes were on separate days) so that’s how I also snuck into the movie scene because they needed some extra bodies and I guess I was just randomly in the right place. That was purely by chance that I was visible.

No real juicy anecdotes from the filming. They had a pretty quick turnaround on it, so they had a pretty good idea of what they wanted to do and the shots they wanted, etc. The production company was Picture Show Films, which is sort of a neighbor of the Loft, so they had a very good sense for the neighborhood and the Chicago locales. I probably most enjoyed just watching the rest of the band film their parts, like emerging from the building, etc. Jeff wasn’t around at all when I filmed my parts. Hope that answers some questions...

Sorry, I just saw this for some reason. Some of their management team reached out to me (as well as some of their other longtime friends around town) and asked if I was free.

My parts were probably done in like an hour total, but it was over two days (i.e. the pickup and dropoff scenes were on separate days) so that’s how I also snuck into the movie scene because they needed some extra bodies and I guess I was just randomly in the right place. That was purely by chance that I was visible.

No real juicy anecdotes from the filming. They had a pretty quick turnaround on it, so they had a pretty good idea of what they wanted to do and the shots they wanted, etc. The production company was Picture Show Films, which is sort of a neighbor of the Loft, so they had a very good sense for the neighborhood and the Chicago locales. I probably most enjoyed just watching the rest of the band film their parts, like emerging from the building, etc. Jeff wasn’t around at all when I filmed my parts. Hope that answers some questions...

:thumbup

Yeah, wow. What a fun and fascinating conversation. The bits about the Loose Fur dynamic and Handshake Drugs were my favorite. Also optimistic that if Sammy says Ode to Joy is his favorite, it's going to be goooooood.

Thanks for sharing.

I read that as Sammy's fav was Ghost. Found the Chipotle stuff very funny.

I read it that way, too. And same about the Chipotle stuff. A few years back, I remember I would always seem to hear Theme From Chelsea Walls whenever I used the bathroom at a Chipotle; guess someone there was/is a fan.

https://www.spin.com/featured/wilco-interview-jeff-tweedy-nels-cline-ode-to-joy/

Jeff & Nels interviewed by Spin.

It sounds like We Were Lucky is going to have Nels shred.

Interesting interview that discusses the releases of Star Wars & Schmilco. Also more discussion about setlists and recording.

This interview was probably done when they were in NYC for BUILD.

https://www.spin.com/featured/wilco-interview-jeff-tweedy-nels-cline-ode-to-joy/

Jeff & Nels interviewed by Spin.

It sounds like We Were Lucky is going to have Nels shred.

Interesting interview that discusses the releases of Star Wars & Schmilco. Also more discussion about setlists and recording.

This interview was probably done when they were in NYC for BUILD.

That was a great interview, thanks. Aside from all the stuff about the new album, which only increases my anticipation, I found the tidbit about the band's "middle-period" self-consciousness interesting. Jeff thinks they gave up on playing Wilco the Album and The Whole Love songs live too soon, and that is certainly reflected in the setlists of the last few years. At the same time, Nels makes a good point about how tough it would be too fit quirky songs in the set. "Rising Red Lung" and "Solitaire" are great songs, for example, but they just don't really fit anywhere in a setlist — not in the "new" section, not in the "hit" section, not in the "rock out" section.

I also liked that Jeff admits his "underselling" or silliness were a disservice to Star Wars and Schmilco. I know it doesn't count nearly as much as the actual music, but there is still a less-than-ideal visceral reaction to the presentation of those two records, from the titles to the album art.

The Riff magazine review is hard to believe. He compares "Everyone Hides" and "White Wooden Cross" to "Jesus, Etc" which seems like a weak comparison at best. So, when the rest of the review is full of comparisons, It becomes hard to believe they are not as poor.

That said, someone of the Facebook group declared "Everyone Hides' the worst song to ever come out of Wilco and promptly sold their tickets for the upcoming tour. I think it was shocking to me because there is an "Everything Hides" on nearly every Wilco album:

"Summerteeth", "Kamera", "I'm A Wheel", "Just A Kid", "Sonny Feeling", "I Might", "Random Name Generator", and "Someone to Lose".

I felt like they had never listened to Wilco before if they didn't see this song coming. 

Easier for the band? Because I recall seeing them losing a lot of people in the crowd once everyone realized they were opening shows with the whole album...

Maybe easier in that it was more of a rock album, with a bit more variety and energy being generated than Schmilco.  Those kinds of things tend to hold people's attention better than a lower key album like Schmilco.  Also, it's a short record, so it's easier than performing an unfamiliar long record.  And their release strategy was playing it in its entirely the day it was released, and streaming that performance.   All these things add up to "we can easily get away with doing this."  

I only saw one show for Star Wars, but I was on the front row of the balcony.  Looking down on the floor crowd, most everyone seemed to be into it and/or knew the music.  I'm sure some people wanted to hear the old chestnuts, which is true at every concert, but I don't recall anyone leaving or standing around looking at their watch.