LP11 Speculation

Those $500+ packages are just absurd. I understand that they have hardcore fans who will want exclusive stuff, but $500?!?! Come on.

Also, any word on Warmer on digital? Thought it was coming out 7/12?

the crazy thing is that they made 1000?

that's grossing a half million... but there is no way in hell they're gonna shift that many. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saxophone by Paul Von Mertens. 

Are we going to ignore this? 

I like the song, but I hope there's more stylistic variance to this record -- a la The Whole Love -- than there has been on the last couple of Wilco records and Warm/Warmer. 

I like the "big folk" thing, but I want the occasional curveball and revved up I'm a Wheel-esque rocker thrown at me. 

I'm hoping for some real curveballs on this one.  The band was totally underutilized on Schmilco, and I hope that isn't the case with this one.

I've read a number of interviews with the band members in which they talk about the various and wide ranging side projects, and how Jeff encourages it because it makes a richer tapestry when the group gets together.  The implication being that elements of each side project will work their way into what Wilco does, and as a result, Wilco's sonic universe will expand. But I haven't seen much evidence of that.  On the contrary, it sometimes feels like the side projects are a way for the members to get that stuff out of their systems so they can reconvene and back up Jeff on new batches of mostly standard folk/country/pop/rock tunes.  With the exception of the occasional Art of Almost or maybe Impossible Germany or Bull Black Nova, Wilco's sonic universe has contracted with the arrival of the new lineup.  The current lineup is probably the best ever/only one capable of performing the more experimental music in the back catalog, but the records this lineup has made only tap into that kind of experimentalism once (or zero times, in some cases) per album. 

A few things here: Has everybody forgotten what Star Wars sounds like? What part of "Pickled Ginger" doesn't sound like "I'm a Wheel"? It seems like everybody talks about Sukierae, Schmilco, Warm, and Warmer as if tonally that's all that happened. Go back and listen to "Cold Slope/King of You". Show me where else in the catalog "Magnetized" exists. All of those sad, folk waltzes like "More...", "Where Do I Begin", "You Satellite", and "The Joke Explained". End Rant.

Next, I think I sit on the fence about the diversity inside of each record. I liked the laser focus of Star Wars (clearly) and Schmilco. Both records felt purposeful even when I didn't like the choices. This point is why I am excited for Ode to Joy. They clearly had a vision and I'm interested to hear it. It also feels worth mentioning that each of the older records have other consistencies. A Ghost is Born is a heavy piano record and features the hammer dulcimer (find that on another Wilco record). Sky Blue Sky has direct lyricism, the mid song tension and relief, and the six member live feel. Summerteeth is dark, brooding candy-pop. Etc etc etc. Each album was a world, even if the songwriting tended to be more varied; it's part of the band's appeal. 

As for the experimental song structure or elements, this one is complicated. I, personally, believe that Nels Cline is hit or miss experimentally. His "noize" can feel like "noize for the sake of noize". For every "Art of Almost" is an equal "Common Sense". I watched Pillow Wand for roughly 10 minutes before I accepted that it was musical wanking. It becomes most apparent when you hear Nels' renditions of older songs. "Muzzle of Bees" is my favorite Wilco song, but I prefer the record because Nels ignores the droning aspect of the guitar swell to color it with way more notes than it needs. It ruins the build which is literally the whole point of that section. I also attribute my favorite experimental/more complex ideas post-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to Mikael Jorgenson and Leroy Bach. A quick listen to either of Ryley Walker's Leroy produced albums reveals a missing piece of the current Wilco puzzle.

But I also think they may be less than capable, which hurts to say. Take "You Satellite". That song could have gone somewhere. A great song to compare that to is "Weird Fishes" by Radiohead. They are both these multilayered songs that build and coalesce but only one of them chooses to do something with that. If every song is A B A B C A B, then it gets old. The first half Sky Blue Sky proves that they can craft songs that go somewhere, it may be that Jeff simply needs to put down that acoustic guitar.

My last piece on the outside projects, specifically The Autumn Defense. It's well-produced, boring music. There's plenty of actual 70s AM music that is inspiring. John Stirratt did not not become an alt writer for Wilco for no reason. Pat Sansone is a better country guitarist than Nels and I always hope he'll get the solos on Being There or A.M. tracks. Actual End Rant.

I'm hoping for some real curveballs on this one.  The band was totally underutilized on Schmilco, and I hope that isn't the case with this one.

I've read a number of interviews with the band members in which they talk about the various and wide ranging side projects, and how Jeff encourages it because it makes a richer tapestry when the group gets together.  The implication being that elements of each side project will work their way into what Wilco does, and as a result, Wilco's sonic universe will expand. But I haven't seen much evidence of that.  On the contrary, it sometimes feels like the side projects are a way for the members to get that stuff out of their systems so they can reconvene and back up Jeff on new batches of mostly standard folk/country/pop/rock tunes.  With the exception of the occasional Art of Almost or maybe Impossible Germany or Bull Black Nova, Wilco's sonic universe has contracted with the arrival of the new lineup.  The current lineup is probably the best ever/only one capable of performing the more experimental music in the back catalog, but the records this lineup has made only tap into that kind of experimentalism once (or zero times, in some cases) per album. 

I get what you're saying, especially the underutilized insight. Star Wars is the outlier in the recent Jeff Tweedy-related output; the others are waltz/folk heavy. Schmilco, to me, sounds like it fits more with Sukierae/Warm/Warmer than the rest of the Wilco catalog. I don't think Ode to Joy will be another Schmilco. At least I hope it is not, as I prefer the rock/experimental wanderings that Wilco does so well.

the crazy thing is that they made 1000?

that's grossing a half million... but there is no way in hell they're gonna shift that many.

That was my thought exactly, Tim. They should have made it way more limited at that price point IMHO. Even 500 would probably have been a lot.

Saxophone by Paul Von Mertens. 

Are we going to ignore this? 

We must also be ignoring the teaser video.. pretty sure that noise will be on there somewhere. Even if Ode to Joy is mostly mid tempo, I don't really expect it to be Son of Schmilco.

Interesting point about the seemingly counter-intuitive contracted universe of Wilco. It's ironic that the fullest, most virtuostic Wilco lineup can sometimes seem restrictive for Tweedy somehow. I have thought for a while this next record was going to be big for Wilco. Each record always sounds drastically different than the last, from BT on through Schmilco really. However, there has been a really similar vein underlining Tweedy's work for the past five years, namely Sukierae, Schmilco and Warm/Warmer. (Star Wars has similar production, but the songs dynamically are different.)

Will Wilco take a left turn with something different, or has Jeff fallen into a more comfortable style that he is at peace with riding out? Can't judge based on one song, but I can't wait to hear the whole album to find out. I'm sure it will be good either way.

I get what you're saying, especially the underutilized insight. Star Wars is the outlier in the recent Jeff Tweedy-related output; the others are waltz/folk heavy. Schmilco, to me, sounds like it fits more with Sukierae/Warm/Warmer than the rest of the Wilco catalog. I don't think Ode to Joy will be another Schmilco. At least I hope it is not, as I prefer the rock/experimental wanderings that Wilco does so well.

I still can't help but think of Star Wars and Schmilco as one long record. They're both short and complete each other tonally 

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars.  It was the loud, loose album I was waiting for this lineup to make and I would gladly take more like it.  I even loved the way they just dropped it unexpectedly and avoided the normal press, they played the whole thing top to bottom every night and let the music speak for it self.  All that said, I agree that if you combine the rock of Star Wars with the song writing of Schmilco, you've got an incredible album.  

Curious as to whether Everyone Hides is going to be the exact same version as on the St. Vincent soundtrack. I would hope they don't simply run back that version but perhaps take a second crack at it with the full band. I really dig that song but am hoping for a reinterpretation. 

Agree - I love the song, and I am hoping for a Wilco version of it.

Agree - I love the song, and I am hoping for a Wilco version of it.

I am curious why anyone would expect WIlco not to do a version of it? The first version isn't by them so it is pretty obvious they will re-record it I would suggest.

I like the "big folk" thing, but I want the occasional curveball and revved up I'm a Wheel-esque rocker thrown at me. 

Yep.  Jeff's got a Porsche of a band and has only been driving on suburban side streets recently. C'mon, Jeff.  Take it out onto the Autobahn and let it rip.

I wonder if the 1000 of the deluxe package is in response to the "outrage" over the limited pressing of 3500 for Warmer? 1000 for a $500 package is probably too many pressings. It would be a good opportunity to do to a small run like 100-500 pressings (though, of course, it's entirely possible there was a minimum order they needed to make for the book). An LP with new songs for $20? That's going to need much more than 3500. But what do I know? Maybe it'll sell out and I'll eat crow. Delicious crow. 

I am curious why anyone would expect WIlco not to do a version of it? The first version isn't by them so it is pretty obvious they will re-record it I would suggest.

Yeah and Spencer isn't listed in the linernotes so it 100% has been rerecorded. It wouldn't make sense to put a song from a different project that's already been released on an album.

Yep.  Jeff's got a Porsche of a band and has only been driving on suburban side streets recently. C'mon, Jeff.  Take it out onto the Autobahn and let it rip.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this reminds me of a year or so before Sky Blue Sky when Wilco played play Conan and did The Thanks I Get. Since this was one of the first televised appearances of the Nels era, a lot of the comments were why you would bring in Nels Cline just to do country licks. But the next year they dropped Sky Blue Sky with Impossible Germany. My point is, always trust JT's direction.

The Porsche has only been on Star Wars and Schmilco and one of those was decidedly Autobahn. 

When do people think the next song will drop? Schmilco  was a mid-September release and we had two songs by now (July 14th for "Locator" and July 18th for "If I Ever Was a Child") with a third on August 29th ("Someone to Lose"). Given the October 4th date, I assume we'll get one each month if they're doing a three song preview. The Whole Love is our other comparison with "I Might" dropping at Solid Sound 2011 and "Born Alone" dropping on September 7th before the 27th release date. 

What song will be next is another speculative question for the people to consider. 

I was surprised that "An Empty Corner", "White Wooden Cross", nor "Before Us" was the lead. I'm thinking "Before Us" is one of the three but is not the next one and I don't believe that "An Empty Corner" will surface until the record. Second single I'm slating for Mid-August and I have a feeling it'll be a different song entirely.

I think they’ll drop the whole record before August is over. I can’t picture them playing Europe for a whole month with the record under wraps.

I love the new song. It does remind me of the song in Raising Arizona that Holly Hunter sings to Nathan, Jr.

All 3 that I’ve heard are quite amazing!

I recall The Whole Love being leaked over Labor Day weekend.

The Porsche has only been on Star Wars and Schmilco and one of those was decidedly Autobahn. 

Wait, what?  The Porsche refers to the current lineup, which has been appearing on Wilco studio records since Sky Blue Sky.

I think they’ll drop the whole record before August is over. I can’t picture them playing Europe for a whole month with the record under wraps.

I love the new song. It does remind me of the song in Raising Arizona that Holly Hunter sings to Nathan, Jr.

All 3 that I’ve heard are quite amazing!

I recall The Whole Love being leaked over Labor Day weekend.

Not sure why they would do that. It's announced as coming out in Oct, they will no doubt play a few songs from it in Sept, then many more after release (maybe all of it from start to finish)

Not sure why they would do that.

I have no idea why they do what they do but isn't pre-releasing records sort of the norm with them going back to YHF? They definitely put the record out before the release date for YHF, AGIB, SBS, and Star Wars.  And maybe others.

I have no idea why they do what they do but isn't pre-releasing records sort of the norm with them going back to YHF? They definitely put the record out before the release date for YHF, AGIB, SBS, and Star Wars.  And maybe others.

Certainly for YHF and Star Wars they weren't "pre-released", just released in download or streaming form. I see no reason that they would announce a release date then scupper that by pre-releasing it early. 

Wait, what?  The Porsche refers to the current lineup, which has been appearing on Wilco studio records since Sky Blue Sky.

I was going by Chez's use of the word recently, meaning the last few albums. By the standards of this lineup to mean "recently", Wilco hasn't made anything consistently Autobahn besides Star Wars. All I am saying is that Wilco has been pretty heavy on the quiet songs with noise sections, with a couple of experimental tracks, and almost no barn-burners since AM or Being There. Summerteeth was the last record to have about half fast songs and even then it's like 6/15. 7 if you count "Summer Teeth". I want to push back against this notion that Wilco, not including Jeff Tweedy solo, has been dry with rockers since AGIB. AGIB has 3 Autobahn songs on it tops.

I was going by Chez's use of the word recently, meaning the last few albums. By the standards of this lineup to mean "recently", Wilco hasn't made anything consistently Autobahn besides Star Wars. All I am saying is that Wilco has been pretty heavy on the quiet songs with noise sections, with a couple of experimental tracks, and almost no barn-burners since AM or Being There. Summerteeth was the last record to have about half fast songs and even then it's like 6/15. 7 if you count "Summer Teeth". I want to push back against this notion that Wilco, not including Jeff Tweedy solo, has been dry with rockers since AGIB. AGIB has 3 Autobahn songs on it tops.

What are "Autobahn" songs. Ones influenced by Kraftwerk?

This is so confusing. You are pushing back on the notion that Wilco has been dry with rockers since AGIB by saying that 1 of their 2 most recent album was consistently a rocker? Besides Schmilco each album has at least a few. 

Certainly for YHF and Star Wars they weren't "pre-released", just released in download or streaming form. I see no reason that they would announce a release date then scupper that by pre-releasing it early. 

That's how I interpeted U2roolz's comment, and what I meant.  I think there's very little chance the record won't be streamable before the official release date.

That’s exactly what I meant. Imagine if in some parallel universe the tour dates in Sept & Oct were flipped, so that you have the U.S. shows first. I’m sure if that were the case a lot of people would be upset that the album came out after they saw them. And I mean that it seems like we have more people posting here from the states. So leaking or streaming the album on the official site makes a lot of sense to make fans familiar with the new tunes. I can’t think of the last time Wilco had a tour where it was called by the new album title, but said new album didn’t drop until a month into the tour.

Plus, if they don’t leak or stream the album fans will be rabid when it comes to getting their hands on boots of the September shows.

I vividly remember getting the Schmilco leak and I’m fairly certain that it was on the eve of that tour. It sucks that that tour never made its way to Boston.

RE: Star Wars - the surprise leak happened on July 16th. The official release was on August 21st, so not too long of a waiting period.

Official Prediction: WilcoWorld will stream the new album over Labor Day weekend. A couple of days after Labor Day will be the 1st European show.

This is so confusing. You are pushing back on the notion that Wilco has been dry with rockers since AGIB by saying that 1 of their 2 most recent album was consistently a rocker? Besides Schmilco each album has at least a few. 

Since I'm the one who stirred up this pot,  I don't care what tempo the songs are, or how hard they rock, but I want to hear Tweedy dig deeper into the extremely deep well of the band's potential than he did for Schmilco, and for most of the songs the current lineup has made.