2020 Touring

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but not many fans are buying albums these days.  I don't begrudge artists trying to make a living on concert ticket and merch sales (or any other way)

Yeah - no begrudging here - just making a point on the cost difference between the 13 years and it stinks that I will be passing due to the cost. 

Was supposed to be seeing the band tonight (Thursday). No make up dates yet.  :ohwell Probably smart to wait to see if things start loosening up at some point. I suspect if all goes well, Seattle will be tacked on the beginning of the Sleater Kinney shows. They are playing Spokane then (no SK though). I'm fine with no SK. I like them but would rather see Wilco on their own.

I suspect that we won’t be seeing any live music until 2021 at the earliest the way this is going and the total disregard for medical guidance a lot of the populace (and idiot in charge) are displaying. I think that promoters are just spacing out the cancellations.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are unsurprised but really bummed about Newport Folk. That’s our Mecca every year (along with Solid Sound on odd-numbered years). We also have Wilco/Sleater-Kinney tix for the Forest Hills show on the day of our anniversary in August. I haven’t seen official word about that one yet, but I’m assuming it will be canceled or postponed as well. Truth is, we’d most likely be afraid to go even if they would have it. We keep discussing the fact that, at some point they’re going to tell it's safe to go back out, but it’s probably going to be a very long time after that before we feel safe going back out. 

From The Vic's website:

THIS SHOW HAS BEEN POSTPONED
Information regarding a rescheduled date will be announced as soon as possible. Tickets purchased for the originally scheduled performance will be honored on the new date - no need to exchange.

Kind of wish they just would have cancelled tbh.  It's not like there will be any shows in 2020, so what are we doing kicking the can down the road?

Agreed. I just assume get a refund and have the option to buy tickets at a later date.

Unless Illinois' re-opening plan changes the show in Chicago will need to be rescheduled until after a vaccine is available. I wonder if they'll attempt a tour with SK and perform in states with looser gathering restrictions??

Unless Illinois' re-opening plan changes the show in Chicago will need to be rescheduled until after a vaccine is available. I wonder if they'll attempt a tour with SK and perform in states with looser gathering restrictions??

Judging by the comments Jeff has made about the situation on The Tweedy Show, it seems unlikely (to me) that he's going to be willing to go back out until it's pretty clear that it's safe for people to gather in large groups. I guess that will depend in turn on how he/the band define "safe," but I suspect they'll err on the side of caution. He hasn't made any direct statement like, "We won't tour again until are met," but it seems clear that he and the rest of the band are taking the shut down and stay-at-home orders very seriously. I have zero insider knowledge, but I would be extremely surprised if Wilco is back out there early in the game. 

I saw this excerpt from the earnings call with the CEO of LiveNation Michael Rapino.

Article here https://metalinjection.net/its-just-business/live-nation-ceo-outlines-reopening-strategy-experimenting-with-shows-in-the-fall-be-on-sale-in-q3-q4-full-scale-by-2021?fbclid=IwAR2OUTl9eyBNB8VSvU6fQQ--hZTqS_Iy6AIrIkhjSVBHuFBiPuar2PNMX98

Rapino also discussed their strategy for reopening

“So over the next six months, we’ll be starting slow and small, focusing on the basics and testing regionally. But whether it’s in Arkansas” — which he may have mentioned because a socially distanced concert is scheduled there for May 15 — “or [another] state that is safe, secure and politically fine to proceed in, we’re going to dabble in fan-less concerts with broadcasts and reduced-capacity shows, because we can make the math work,” he continued.

“There are a lot of great artists that can sell out an arena, but they’ll do higher-end theaters or clubs. So you’re gonna see us [gradually reopening] in different countries, whether it’s Finland, Asia, Hong Kong — certain markets are farther ahead [in the recovery process]. Over the summer there will be testing happening, whether it’s fan-less concerts, which offer great broadcast opportunities and are really important for our sponsorship business; drive-in concerts, which we’re going to test and roll out and we’re having some success with; or reduced-capacity festival concerts, which could be outdoors in a theater on a large stadium floor, where there’s enough room to be safe.

“We think in the Fall, if there are no second hotspots, you’ll see markets around the world [reopening] — Europe, specifically, has talked about opening up 5,000-plus [gatherings] in September. And on the venue side, we’re dealing with federal, the White House, every government body you can imagine, and we’ve got a great task force around what we have to do with the venue to make you safe.

“So I think in the Fall you’ll see more experimenting and more shows happening in a theater setting, into some arenas. And then our goal is really to be on sale in the third and fourth quarters for 2021 at full scale.”

Seems as reasonable a plan as any. 

ps - I have no idea why a Metal Injection story popped up on my FB feed other than the topic itself,  :frusty