The Tweedy Show Tuesday August 18 Episode 86

# animated intro on screen

-- Jeff talks about his dream looking for Spencer. Spencer had Randy Quaid's haircut from Kingpin.

-- Jeff says that he's embarrassed to sing some of Prince's songs like When Doves Cry due to the sexy lyrics

-- Susie discusses barium

Hesitating Beauty

-- Jeff talks about the time that he sang the lyric "sparkling cockly smile" as "sparkling cock".

-- Jeff sings a bit of Hesitating Beauty in Edith Bunker's voice

-- Jeff tries to remember his biggest lyric flub, but he can't think of it. At first he think it happened at a Tweedy show, but says that it happened at a Wilco show because John Stirratt gave him a funny look.

-- Jeff finally remembers that one time he sang "I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight on a bed of California farts".

-- Jeff casually slides into conversation that after the show he's going to type up an album's worth of lyrics

-- Hogan's Heroes, F Troop & Better Things are brought up in discussion

Hammond Song (The Roches cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Jeff mentions that King Crimson's Robert Fripp produced the debut album by The Roches

When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob Dylan cover {song first recorded by The Band} sung by Sammy)

-- Jeff says that he didn't learn the Tom Petty song Wildflowers yet

-- Jeff plays a little bit of Tom Petty's You Don't Know How It Feels that he says that they'll get to on Thursday

-- Jeff plays a little bit of Tom Petty's Listen To Her Heart

Muzzle Of Bees (sung by Sammy)

-- Jeff talks about watching an old video of Bob Marley performing on the Old Grey Whistle Test

-- the stigma of white people listening to reggae is discussed

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover)

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Friends - I have finally updated the Tweedy Show mp3 archive (over 2,000 song files). All files have been meticulously logged and tagged so they can be easily filtered, searched, and sorted - in iT

I appreciate the accolades, but seriously, all the real credit goes to @u2roolz. The two or three times I filled in for him really showed me how truly dedicated he’s been to this project. It’s fairly

The Tweedy Show Monday December 26 Episode 217 —Sammy welcomes the clients to The Tweedy Show.  —Susie is upset that she sees her reflection in the tv.  —“Hi, everyone! We forgot how to

Posted Images

The Tweedy Show Thursday August 20 Episode 87

-- a brief sliver vs splinter discussion

-- Jeff says that he looks like the guy who answers the door in The Rocky Horror Picture Show

-- Susie says that Nels is doing a show on teaching a guitar master class & Ted Nugent is on the same show teaching something

Blood Of The Lamb

Watching The Wheels (John Lennon cover sung by Sammy)

-- Spencer's book is due out Oct 20th: Mirror Sound: A Look Into The People And Processes Behind Self-Recorded Music

-- Jeff tells a story about Michael Stipe recommending a place in NYC to buy pants for a 12 year old Spencer which they were shocked to find out cost a grand when they went to the store.

-- Peter Noone comes up in discussion

-- Jeff shows off his muscles

You Don't Know How It Feels (Tom Petty cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & Jeff on harmonica)

-- Susie shows off her Elvis memorabilia

Bitterroot Lake (sung by Casey w Spencer on guitar & backing vocals)

-- Jeff sings a bit of I Wish My Baby Was Born (traditional). Featured on Uncle Tupelo's March 16-20, 1992

-- Casey tells a scary story about camping at a Native American campground

-- Spencer explains exploding head syndrome

-- Jeff's sneezes smell like honey and/or flowers

The Tweedy Show might return Friday, if they don't go camping. Stay tuned to Susie's IG or FB posts.

The Tweedy Show Thursday August 20 Episode 87

-- a brief sliver vs splinter discussion

-- Jeff says that he looks like the guy who answers the door in The Rocky Horror Picture Show

-- Susie says that Nels is doing a show on teaching a guitar master class & Ted Nugent is on the same show teaching something

Blood Of The Lamb

Watching The Wheels (John Lennon cover sung by Sammy)

-- Spencer's book is due out Oct 20th: Mirror Sound: A Look Into The People And Processes Behind Self-Recorded Music

-- Jeff tells a story about Michael Stipe recommending a place in NYC to buy pants for a 12 year old Spencer which they were shocked to find out cost a grand when they went to the store.

-- Peter Noone comes up in discussion

-- Jeff shows off his muscles

You Don't Know How It Feels (Tom Petty cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & Jeff on harmonica)

-- Susie shows off her Elvis memorabilia

Bitterroot Lake (sung by Casey w Spencer on guitar & backing vocals)

-- Jeff sings a bit of I Wish My Baby Was Born (traditional). Featured on Uncle Tupelo's March 16-20, 1992

-- Casey tells a scary story about camping at a Native American campground

-- Spencer explains exploding head syndrome

-- Jeff's sneezes smell like honey and/or flowers

The Tweedy Show might return Friday, if they don't go camping. Stay tuned to Susie's IG or FB posts.

It’s great anytime Jeff pulls out an obscure Tupelo song that he hasn’t played in decades

The Tweedy Show Monday August 24 Episode 88

-- Jeff mentions that today is his birthday eve

-- Jeff sings a bit of The Cramps' I Was A Teenage Werewolf for Sheba's birthday

-- Jeff strums a bit of Sunken Treasure

Sunken Treasure (w Spencer on drums. For Jenny's birthday)

-- Susie mentions that Jeff wrote the foreword for a picture book coming out: Gregory Crewdson's An Eclipse Of Moths.

-- Susie mentions that the face masks came in today & Spencer shows off the face mask plus the cool packaging. They thank Sean Lorenzini for making the masks & the packaging.

Natural Disaster (w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Susie chastises Jeff for putting on work boots without socks after taking a bath

-- Spencer tells a story about Cher who wants to save the post office by working there to help out. This leads to Jeff singing a bit of the chorus to Cher's If I Could Turn Back Time

You Are Not Alone (Mavis Staples cover w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Jeff talks a bit about Justin Townes Earle

-- Jeff kids around that they should stop the show at 100 episodes

-- Jeff's watch has an episode

I Have Always Been Here (Roky Erickson cover sung by Sammy. For Ohenia's birthday)

-- Jeff says that vagina has been said on The Tweedy Show more than the Dr. Ruth show and that someone probably has a spreadsheet of that info

Little Hands (Alexander “Skip” Spence cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums)

Revolution (The Beatles cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & backing vocals)

-- Susie mentions that YouTube cut off the audio the last time Revolution played over the jukebox

Tugboat (Galaxie 500 cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums)

-- Spencer & Jeff have something to say about the shooting of Jacob Blake by Wisconsin police

Thanks for these recaps. They are a great guide, as we usually watch the YouTube's well after original air.

Last night the alert popped up that the show was starting but we were not quite finished zooming a John Hiatt performance, which was good for the soul. It was the first of two (pkg ticketed), the next being 8/31. 

Last night he played BRING THE FAMILY and SLOW TURNING, each in full, and the next will have a set list and banter. It was basically like being on a zoom call with him.....and 30 others. 

I'm going on about this because I think what the Tweedys are doing is more genuine and much more fun, from an experiential perspective. John Hiatt is as kind and genuine as any human could be, and was very happy to be playing and seeing many faces while doing so, but the venue (which you can rightly assume was an arrangement of management) was a bit too 'community television' and out of step. The Tweedy Show is of the time and that's what makes it enriching. We watched episode 84 last night afterwards (loved it) and the difference really struck me. 

One other tech note...oddly (or not), the sound is more organic over the phone, as you'd expect once you think about it. Hiatt was mic'd and mixed and therefore removed what should have been intimacy, as well as being of subject to the defects of the platform. Susie's phone picks up the raw sound, resonating in their room and it always sounds like you are there (which we are, in a real sense). Listening through our stereo speakers from our tv when watching YT helps, of course.

Anyways, we're going to airplay (#lightbulb) an O.G. broadcast next and watch in real time. 

note* - not sure exactly what was said about the Jacob Blake shooting, but he remains in stable condition (tragically but thankfully). For the record.

The Tweedy Show Monday August 24 Episode 88

-- Jeff mentions that today is his birthday eve

-- Jeff sings a bit of The Cramps' I Was A Teenage Werewolf for Sheba's birthday

-- Jeff strums a bit of Sunken Treasure

Sunken Treasure (w Spencer on drums. For Jenny's birthday)

-- Susie mentions that Jeff wrote the foreword for a picture book coming out: Gregory Crewdson's An Eclipse Of Moths.

-- Susie mentions that the face masks came in today & Spencer shows off the face mask plus the cool packaging

Natural Disaster (w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Susie chastises Jeff for putting on work boots without socks after taking a bath

-- Spencer tells a story about Cher who wants to save the post office by working there to help out. This leads to Jeff singing a bit of the chorus to Cher's If I Could Turn Back Time

You Are Not Alone (Mavis Staples cover w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Jeff talks a bit about Justin Townes Earle

-- Jeff kids around that they should stop the show at 100 episodes

-- Jeff's watch has an episode

I Have Always Been Here (Roky Erickson cover sung by Sammy. For Ohenia's birthday)

-- Jeff says that vagina has been said on The Tweedy Show more than the Dr. Ruth show and that someone probably has a spreadsheet of that info

Little Hands (Alexander “Skip” Spence cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums)

Revolution (The Beatles cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & backing vocals)

-- Susie mentions that YouTube cut off the audio the last time Revolution played over the jukebox

Tugboat (Galaxie 500 cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums)

-- Spencer & Jeff have something to say about the shooting of Jacob Blake by Wisconsin police

Kudos to Sean for the masks and the tear-away, post-card packaging.

The Tweedy Show Tuesday August 25 Episode 89

-- the Tweedy family plus Casey sing Happy Birthday to Jeff

-- Jeff says that he shares his birthday with Gene Simmons, Elvis Costello, Leonard Bernstein, Rachel Ray & Stuart Murdoch

-- Susie welcomes the partial return of Lemmy

-- Kendall (Danny's wife) calls in on Sammy's phone to wish Jeff a Happy Birthday, sing and corrects Jeff's pronunciation of Leonard Bernstein. Charlesie says hi.

Dynamite My Soul

Art Of Almost

-- Jeff makes "computer sounds" with his guitar

-- Jeff sings a bit of The Cramps' I Was A Teenage Werewolf

-- Jeff plays a bit of Sunloathe, but stops because he forgot the lyrics. Spencer gets him the lyrics on his phone which Jeff says are wrong

Sunloathe

-- Jeff tells a story about Wilco opening for the Rolling Stones and Sammy falling asleep during the show

Showdown (Electric Light Orchestra cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on brushes on the knees & backing vocals)

-- Susie tells a story about falling asleep at a Tull concert during a 1st date

Cry Baby Cry (The Beatles cover sung by Spencer w Jeff on backing vocals)

-- Jeff plays a bit of The Minus 5's The Family Gardener after Scott McCaughey in the chat says that it sounds a bit like The Beatles' Cry Baby Cry

-- Jeff talks about some kudos from Sean Lennon regarding Sunloathe

-- Jeff talks about being on the Joe Strummer tribute last Friday. He tells a story about Bob Weir hanging out with Joe Strummer

-- Susie tells a story about The Pogues

-- Jeff talks about today's Wilco zoom call where he jokes about starting a Wilco University

-- WAP is discussed. Jeff goes on record that he wants WAP to be played at his funeral. He also discusses why he doesn't want to cover the song

-- Susie reveals that they almost did another bathtub episode tonight

Happy Birthday Jeff!!

The Tweedy Show Friday August 28 Episode 90

# theme on jukebox

-- Susie mentions that a lot of the clients received their mask

-- Jeff says that so far 53 is sucking

-- Jeff thanks everyone for the birthday wishes

-- Susie sees a comment that mentions that Saturday is Record Store Day.

All The Same To Me (Golden Smog cover) [Thank you, Paul Suwan!]

-- Susie says that Casey is seeing different comments than Spencer who is sitting right next to her at an undisclosed location

-- Susie mentions that Jeff got his haircut for the first time in 6 months

-- Susie tells the clients that they're giving M.A.S.K. a check for $10,000 final number to be determined.

-- Jeff wants Susie to take some screenshots to show off his new haircut

-- Jeff has nice things to say about Neil Finn: "the nicest person in the world". Susie misses the Finn family.

I'm The Man Who Loves You (for Betsy)

-- Jeff explains that he was singing the song directly to Susie & not into the camera

-- Jeff reveals that there's a book of his lyrics in the works

-- Jeff shows off his Uncle Tupelo shirt (spelled 'ung kel too pe-lo')

-- Jeff answers "what's your favorite vacation?" with Sky Blue Sky & his solo tour in Spain

-- Jeff enjoyed his hiking trip with George Saunders & Nick Offerman

-- Jeff's favorite quesadilla in Chicago is from Taco Burrito Palace Number 2. Jeff doesn't think that Number 2 is a good name for a restaurant

-- Jeff shows off his socks that feature Spencer & Sammy made by Divvy Up

-- Jeff would be willing to start drinking again it they "un-cancelled" Comedy Central's Drunk History

-- the tv shows Another Period & What We Do In The Shadows are loved by Jeff & Susie

Pretty Saro (Traditional/Bob Dylan version sung by Sammy)

I Never Get Lonesome (Arthur Russell cover sung by Sammy)

-- Jeff & Sammy talk about Arthur Russell

-- Sammy talks about spending the week with his grandfather, Zaid, and speaking Yiddish with him.

-- there are lots of Yiddish words for penis. Is there a Yiddish word for vagina?

-- the reality of closing in on 100 episodes finally hits Jeff

The Tweedy Show might do a broadcast from a secret location next week, but definitely not Monday. It sounds like they are going to be going away on vacation for the week.

That opening song threw me for a loop. Google came up empty. And I received a ton of texts telling me about Chadwick Boseman's sudden passing, so I wasn't very focused. I want to go back and watch this one again. I'll update this later this evening.

Edit: Ok! Paul bailed me out and gave me the song title. None of the lyrics came up with anything, but when I search for the song title, there it is. Lol. Google, I tell ya!

Haha. I was googling as fast as I could, too, trying every little snippet of lyrics I could catch. I did come up with it, finally, but I missed seeing most of the song. For some reason I almost always miss Paul’s song IDs. I always see people thanking him, and I see a lot of his jokes and commentary, but very rarely the song titles. It would be interesting to know how IG determines who sees which comments, and if there’s anything you can do as a user to tweak them.

The Tweedy Show Tuesday September 1 Episode 91

# intro on cell phone

-- Susie says that they are broadcasting from their undisclosed location which is not "on a private beach in Michigan", but they are in Michigan.

-- Happy belated birthday to Paul

-- Oona is there as the very special guest

-- Happy Anniversary to the Knureks

-- Jeff makes the announcement that there's a remastered deluxe edition of Summerteeth w 24 unreleased outtakes & demos spread over 4 cds & 5 lps released on November 6th. The vinyl has a live record: live at Tower Records. The cd has a live show from Boulder recorded in 1999. Preorder starts tomorrow.

-- Spencer talks about the Summerteeth demos

-- Jeff talks about where he found the demos

Summer Teeth

-- Susie & Oona discuss flashing their breasts & how a doctor used to pronounce 'areolas'. Oona used to send pictures of her breasts to Susie, after Oona had a breast reduction.

-- Jeff jokes that he got a penis reduction.

-- "got moobs like Jagger"

ELT

Mull Of Kintyre (Wings cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)

Close My Eyes (Arthur Russell cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)

Save It For Me (w Spencer & Sammy on backing vocals)

-- Jeff plays a bit of Yankee Doodle Dandy

-- Jeff plays the riff of You Really Got Me by The Kinks

-- Jeff shows off his nerdy birthday present: golden pencil sharpener

-- the comment "I hate men" is causing warnings from Instagram.

I'll listen again to Jeff talking about the Summerteeth deluxe edition to get the release date. I'm pretty sure it's in November. Edit: Yep, it's November 6th.

Jeff Tweedy’s Whisper will be released as part of Good Music To Avert The Collapse Of American Democracy on September 4th on Bandcamp.

https://goodmusic2020.bandcamp.com/track/whisper

That’s the track info.

I named that song “It’s A Whisper” when it appeared on The Tweedy Show on episodes 47 & 72.

Cool!

Changed it to "Whisper" on the spreadsheet.

The Tweedy Show Thursday September 3 Episode 92

# intro on cell phone

-- Jeff shaved

—Susie says that M.A.S.K. Academy was broken into and lots of items were stolen. There is a donation page on FB.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159192161032922&id=559387921

Hold Me Anyway (For Kathy) (w Spencer on hand slaps)

-- Susie mentions Danny's idea about having one Wilco member calling in once a week.

-- Jeff talks about his dad taking a long time barbecuing pork steak back in the day.

Alone But Moving (Here We Go Magic cover sung & performed on guitar by Spencer)

Woodgrain

Woodgrain (take 2)

Plateau (Meat Puppets cover w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Susie talks about her blue chairs in their "undisclosed location".

-- Sammy shows up w young Joe Biden on his black tank top. He's there w his friend Micah.

Strange Magic (Electric Light Orchestra cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Jeff briefly talks about his circumcision story.

Paris 1919 (John Cale cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- Jeff says that he tells strangers "ask your mom about my penis" in response to a few clients saying that their mothers know the circumcision story.

-- Spencer & Jeff do funny versions of Hate It Here: Squidward, Nico, Jonathan Richman

-- Jeff tells a Jonathan Richman story

-- Spencer briefly does a funny version of Cher's Believe

-- Jeff wants the Pringles guy as a tattoo w "Snack & Destroy"

-- Spencer & Sammy sing a bit of Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah's Lake Shore Drive

There might be a show tomorrow. Or there may be a brief hot tub show. Sorry for any confusion regarding this week's shows. It sounded like Jeff wanted to do one show while away on vacation, when Susie asked him last week.

The Tweedy Show Friday September 4 Episode 93

# intro on cell phone

-- "Campfire Edition"

Please Tell My Brother (Golden Smog cover w changed lyrics to reflect Danny's birthday "please tell my brother-in-law")

-- Jeff, Susie & Spencer leave the campfire to go back onto the porch.

No Sense In Lovin' (Uncle Tupelo cover)

-- Jeff tells "the clients" what Susie's middle name is

At Least That's What You Said

Just Say Goodbye

-- Jeff says "hi" to his sister in the chat

Lake Shore Drive (Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah cover sung by Sammy & Spencer)

-- Jeff talks about how obscure the song Lake Shore Drive is to people outside of the midwest. The song was featured in Guardians Of The Galaxy which is discussed briefly.

After The Gold Rush (Neil Young cover sung by Sammy)

-- Susie sings Happy Birthday to Danny, while Jeff plays the riff to The Beatles' Birthday

-- Jeff does some "freestyle shredding" for Danny's birthday

-- Jeff plays a brief bit of Loose Fur's Hey Chicken

So Much Wine (The Handsome Family cover w Sammy & Spencer on backing vocals)

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again) (w Spencer on thigh slaps & backing vocals)

-- Jeff talks about how many chords are in that song and Hummingbird

Oklahoma U.S.A. (The Kinks cover)

-- Jeff eagerly plays the riff to Roger Miller's Reincarnation thinking the time is up

Smothered In Hugs (Guided By Voices cover sung & performed on guitar by Sammy)

Wow! Lots of amazing tunes! Jeff said that they'll return either Monday or Tuesday.