tuned in last night for the first time in a while (finally figured out how to display it on my TV, yay for me) and enjoyed it a lot, but some of the client comments about Enimen and Patti were eye-rolling... blech. excellent to hear Burma too. talk about reunited bands who did it right - much respect for Roger, Clint, Peter (and Bob). 

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Friends - I have finally updated the Tweedy Show mp3 archive (over 2,000 song files). All files have been meticulously logged and tagged so they can be easily filtered, searched, and sorted - in iT

I appreciate the accolades, but seriously, all the real credit goes to @u2roolz. The two or three times I filled in for him really showed me how truly dedicated he’s been to this project. It’s fairly

The Tweedy Show Monday December 26 Episode 217 —Sammy welcomes the clients to The Tweedy Show.  —Susie is upset that she sees her reflection in the tv.  —“Hi, everyone! We forgot how to

Posted Images

2 hours ago, tinnitus photography said:

tuned in last night for the first time in a while (finally figured out how to display it on my TV, yay for me) and enjoyed it a lot, but some of the client comments about Enimen and Patti were eye-rolling... blech. excellent to hear Burma too. talk about reunited bands who did it right - much respect for Roger, Clint, Peter (and Bob). 

Did you know that Mission Of Burma played in Lowell 16 years ago? They opened for Pixies at Tsongas Arena. That was the second time that I saw them. The first was when they opened for Wilco in Boston in June 2003. I forget how close to the show the announcement came that Sonic Youth couldn’t play and had to be replaced by Mission Of Burma. Edited to add article: 

https://glidemagazine.com/5381/sonic-youth-cancels-two-shows-with-wilco/

They canceled earlier during the day of the Boston show. 

The Tweedy Show Thursday November 5 Episode 114

# animated intro on screen
-- Jeff says that he has a migraine and wants to hang out for a bit. 

-- Susie checks in with Peter via Alexa. 

-- Susie almost died from eating a Junior Mint going down the wrong pipe. 
-- Spencer wants to have the conversation to help people be more informed, help people be less hateful, help people stop passing down hatred & misunderstanding. 
-- Jeff explains his C.H.I.N. U.P. Initiative which is an idea that he woke up with. Common Human Ininiative Unified People would fund urban & rural interaction. Jeff thinks that there's a lot of common ground to be reclaimed. Jeff believes that there's a fear of us based off of misinformation. 
In A Future Age (w Spencer on drums)

-- Jeff recommends that you follow Stevie Wonder's Twitter page to see "The Universe Is Watching Us". 
-- Jeff sings a bit of Gram Parsons' Blue Eyes. 

-- Jeff does his Werner Herzog impression again: "Is your profession still rife with drug abuse." 
-- Peter's first Presidential election vote for was for Harry Truman. 
Chain Gang (Sam Cooke cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums. Dedicated to all of the poll workers.)
-- Sammy explains the meaning of the song Chain Gang. 
For You (Big Star cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums)
-- Jeff tells a story about Jody Stephens trying out tambourines, when his band, Those Pretty Wrongs, opened for Tweedy in Australia. 
(Was I) In Your Dreams

-- Jeff jokes about throwing up in public & on screen. 

-- Jeff mentions that the Summerteeth deluxe edition is coming out tomorrow. It marks a 2 month stretch where he's had a release from Uncle Tupelo, Wilco and himself. 

-- Jeff & Susie reference the Junior Mint episode of Seinfeld. 
Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover)
-- Susie says that they might see us tomorrow night. 

I'll tidy up the notes, since I had some freezing this evening. Hope you feel better, Jeff! Migraines suck! Updated...

"C.H.I.N. U.P. Initiative which is an idea that he woke up with. Common Human Initiative Unified People"

Isn't that missing an N word, if you pardon the expression. My copy writer suggests:-

Common Human Initiative Needing Unified Population 

Also, Chain Gang was one of only a handful of records in my house as a young kid, so that's nice. 

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

"C.H.I.N. U.P. Initiative which is an idea that he woke up with. Common Human Initiative Unified People"

Isn't that missing an N word, if you pardon the expression. My copy writer suggests:-

Common Human Initiative Needing Unified Population 

Also, Chain Gang was one of only a handful of records in my house as a young kid, so that's nice. 

I believe the N is coming from “Initiative”. I went back to watch that part again and that’s how he said it, so it probably looks like this: 

Common Human Initiative Unified People. 

1 hour ago, u2roolz said:

I believe the N is coming from “Initiative”. I went back to watch that part again and that’s how he said it, so it probably looks like this: 

Common Human Initiative Unified People. 

Yes I was taking that as a given (like I would have taken knowing what a chain gang was as a given - which I thought was a bit strange having to explain), but it's still better if there is an N word.

Still shaking it here Boss

The Tweedy Show Friday November 6 Episode 115 

-- Jeff still has a migraine. 

-- Jeff is baffled why Summerteeth went from a 9.4 in Pitchfork in 1999 to a 9.0 today. 
-- Spencer unboxes the Summerteeth black vinyl deluxe edition. The deluxe edition is designed by Lawrence Azerrad who designed the original release back in 1999. The back of the vinyl package is sideways which is consistent with the original release. Spencer shows off the booklet w liner notes by John Mulvey. Jeff admits that the glasses that he's wearing in the pictures are fake. Jeff looked for pictures of candy factories and bubble gum to use for the album. Jeff explains the album cover with the girl blowing the bubble that might have come from a bubble blowing competition. The intention of the photographs was for the band to look like mannequins. Spencer shows off An Unmitigated Disaster which is from the Tower Records show on March 11, 1999. Jeff remembers someone yelling out "You rock!" from the crowd and yelling back "We don't" to that person. 
No Hurry (a demo from the  Summerteeth deluxe edition)

-- Jeff asks if anyone watched the Stevie Wonder video from his Twitter page. 

Via Chicago (w Jeff on harmonica)
-- Susie mentions the Washington Post article that features a client wearing a Tweedy Show mask while protesting on the streets of Philadelphia that all votes should be counted in Pennsylvania. 
-- Jeff gives a history lesson on The Simpsons. He explains how they went from The Tracey Ullman Show to a Butterfinger commercial to their long running FOX series. 
-- Sammy shows off his black tank top that features a young picture of Joe Biden. 
Annie' s Song (John Denver cover sung by Sammy)
-- the Spin The Spermatozoa Wheel is shown and spun. The wheel features a turkey baster and features names of people in the Chicago music industry. Susie was supposed to spin the turkey baster to see which name it would land on, so that person could impregnate her with a turkey baster, so she could

have a baby. It's from way back before she was married and wanted to have a baby. 
Little Fang (Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks cover sung & performed by Spencer w Sammy on backing vocals)
-- Jeff & Susie decide to end the show early, so they and the clients can watch Joe Biden speak. 

I thought that my second iPhone was charging, but it was not, so I missed the first 20 minutes for notes. Anyways, I do want to go back and watch the unboxing again. Off to watch Joe! Edit: Updated.

The Tweedy Show Monday November 9 Episode 116 

Listening To The Wind That Blows (w Spencer on backing vocals & thigh slaps. Dedicated to Britt, the client that was protesting last week while wearing a Tweedy Show mask and made the front page of The Washington Post. {EDIT: David Handelman pointed out to me that Britt was actually in the footage shown on CNN which is what’s mentioned on the episode. It’s possible that earlier in the day someone shared an article from The Washington Post that had Britt on the cover & it stuck in my memory.}
-- Casey talks about how she pranked the voter fraud hotline. She said that she witnessed people spreading poop on the ballots. She even made the national news on a story about how TikTok users trolled the hotline. https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/tiktokers-post-videos-themselves-appearing-211006353.html
-- Jeff talks about Barry Jenkins' remix of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot called Yankee Purple Foxtrot. 
-- Jeff addresses whether or not he will play Arrow's request of Neil Young's Campaigner. 
-- Jeff plays a bit of Elizabeth Cotten's I'm Going Away. 
-- Jeff talks about his trigger foods for migraines: fudge & an overripe banana. 
-- Jeff talks about having his worst migraine when Wilco opened for R.E.M. in Italy. 
Love Is Everywhere (Beware) (w Spencer on drums)
-- Jeff wants to start doing TikTok videos. 
-- Susie jokes that they should auction off Jeff doing Zumba which the winner can watch. 
Bitterroot Lake (sung by Casey w Spencer on guitar & backing vocals. Case Oats original. Case Oats is Casey & Spencer's band.)
Turn! Turn! Turn! (Pete Seeger cover sung by Spencer)
-- Spencer thought that President-Elect Joe Biden was quoting The Byrds in his speech on Saturday night which he was, but was surprised that it actually comes from the Bible. 
I Am The Cosmos (Chris Bell cover sung by Sammy)
Shame And Scandal (Mighty Panther calypso cover sung by Peter via Alexa.) 
-- Sammy sings & plays on guitar a bit of Elizabeth Cotten's Freight Train. 

11 hours ago, u2roolz said:

Listening To The Wind That Blows (w Spencer on backing vocals & thigh slaps. Dedicated to Britt, the client that was protesting last week while wearing a Tweedy Show mask and made the front page of The Washington Post.)

There was some confusion but I think they determined Britt the one who was on one of the news station, there was a screenshot of the video floating around IIRC. But I could be wrong ....it's happened before!

The Tweedy Show Tuesday November  10 Episode 117 

Campaigner (Neil Young cover. Dedicated to Arrow.) 
-- Jeff & Susie discuss racist & sexually themed school mascots: Pekin High School & Rhode Island School of Design.
You And I 
-- Jeff mentions that Basil was at The Loft today. 
Bombs Above
-- Jeff gives an update on CHIn UP. He says that the acronym should be Creative Human Initiative For A United People. 
-- Spencer directs the clients to check out Sima's IG page to find out info about Armenia. 

https://www.instagram.com/simaamis/?hl=en
-- Jeff implores people to stay home again due to the surge in Coronavirus cases rising. 
Pecan Pie
-- Jeff does a Michael Stipe impression when he tells a story about Michael Stipe offering him half of a blueberry pie. 
Helpless (Neil Young cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals.)
-- Jeff tells the clients to check out Scott McCaughey's Neil Young tribute album on BandCamp: Scott The Hoople - Neil (Vol. 1)
Close My Eyes (Arthur Russell cover sung by Sammy)
Can't Stand It (w Spencer on thigh slaps & backing vocals)
-- Spencer does a drum solo. Jeff adds some guitar licks. Spencer plays a James Brown drum beat. 
-- Jeff & Susie discuss how young Spencer was when he started drumming. 

The Tweedy Show Friday November 13 Episode 118

-- this episode is taking place in the other part of the room past the jukebox in front of the fireplace. 
Real Love (The Beatles cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & backing vocals)
-- Susie shows off the Tweedy family pictures on top of the fireplace. 
Flying On The Ground Is Wrong (Buffalo Springfield cover. Dedicated to Neil Young who had a birthday yesterday.)
Mi Shebeirach (Debbie Friedman cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals.)
-- Peter says that Sammy's singing voice reminds him of Asa Yoelson who would go on to change his name Al Jolson. 
You Got It (Roy Orbison cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & backing vocals)
-- Jeff says that Roy Orbison was his age when Roy died. 
-- Sammy briefly mentions that he's recording an album. 
Candyfloss (w Spencer on backing vocals)
-- Jeff says that one of the "operatic" voice at the end of Candyfloss belongs to Jack Bruce. 
-- Jeff tells the clients to avoid counter protesting the Million MAGA March in DC. 
-- Susie admits that she had no idea that her singing appears on the demo version of I'm Always In Love that's on the Summerteeth deluxe edition. 
-- Spencer, Susie and Jeff each tell a story about getting into a fight. 
-- Jeff tells the story about the guy that rushed the stage and grabbed his face to kiss him. Jeff's "catlike reflexes grabbed him by the ear and showed him the way off of the stage."
-- a conversation about Shriners. 
-- Susie wants the clients to watch the opening & closing scene of Bye Bye Birdie. 
-- Susie briefly mentions Ann-Margret's guest appearance on The Flintstones. 

-- Jeff assures the clients that they plan on continuing the show going into the winter with Coronavirus on the rise. 

The Tweedy Show Monday November  16 Episode 119

-- Jeff & Susie discuss Jeff's hair and that he should never do a combover. 
-- Jeff jokes that he should shave his head right now. 
Last Words To A Refugee (Cut Worms cover sung by Spencer & also on drums)
-- you can check out Spencer's 2 EPs at https://spencertweedy.bandcamp.com/music
-- Jeff asks if anyone is writing any songs with help from his book. He hopes to have people record their songs at the next Solid Sound and they can release it. 
Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob Dylan cover w Spencer on drums)
-- the Tweedy family try to figure out which Gilligan's Island character they are.
-- Jeff shares his love for It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. He claims that he wanted to name his band Wilco because of the Giant W in the film. 
Oh! Yoko (John Lennon cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums & backing vocals)
-- Jeff talks about meeting Yoko Ono at Nels & Yuka's wedding. 
-- Jeff plays a bit of The Beatles' Helter Skelter. 
--jokes are told
-- Molly Sarles' Human is stopped short because it's being played in a higher key. 
Human (Molly Sarles cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)

-- flossing is important. 

The Tweedy Show Tuesday November  17 Episode 120

-- mm Jeff just had tater tots. 
-- Jeff shows the chords that he played for The Beatles' Real Love. 
The Day I Lose My Mind (George Jones cover w Spencer on backing vocals)
-- Jeff & Spencer think that the previous song was a La Ren cover, but according to Paul and the internet it's a George Jones song. Jeff recommends that the clients check out La Ren's Love Can't Be The Only Reason To Stay. 
-- Spencer says that today is the anniversary of the very first Wilco show. Black Shampoo was the name of the band at that first show. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/1994/ciceros-university-city-mo-4bd29ffa.html
-- Jeff was super excited to meet Bob from Sesame Street. He also met Big Bird & The Cookie Monster. 
-- Susie wonders if Jeff's semen altered her DNA. 
Pictures Of Adolf Again (Bill Fay cover sung by Sammy)
Summer Teeth (w Spencer & Sammy on backing vocals)
Helter Skelter (The Beatles cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on drums)
-- Spencer reveals that his band The Blisters took their name from the ending of Helter Skelter when you can hear Ringo say "I've got blisters on my fingers." 
-- Jeff tries out some of The Mekons' Memphis, Egypt. 
-- Susie says that Conan O'Brien is always wearing a Tweedy Show mask. 
-- the Tweedy family imagine taking The Tweedy Show to HBO. 
 -- Mojo Nixon's manager Scott Reilly is discussed. 
-- Jeff says that he's really good at knowing when a half hour or hour has gone by from being on stage. He's also walked off stage exactly when it's curfew for a venue. 
-- Sammy shows a picture of him kicking Jeff in the groin. 

On 11/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, kidsmoke said:

I love these recaps, Kristofor! Thanks always for doing them! :wub

Seconded. HUGE thanks! They have become an essential reference for me!

The Tweedy Show Thursday November  19 Episode 121 

-- Peter (via Alexa) gives Jeff kudos for the audio introduction to How To Write One Song.
-- Susie & Jeff realize that it's the 8 month anniversary of The Tweedy Show. 
--Jeff has not met Dolly Parton and sings "Vaccine! Vaccine! Vaccine!" to the tune of Jolene. 
-- Jeff tells a Dolly Parton story that includes soundcheck, a shroud & hillbilly FBI agents. 
--Jeff says that most of his guitar straps are recycled belts made by Mark Greenberg. You can purchase them at https://reverb.com/shop/loft-relics
-- Jeff, Susie & Spencer ponder what the black goop was on Rudy Giuliani's face today during his press conference. 
-- a long and insightful conversation is had by all regarding the recent election, especially the frivolous lawsuit(s) claiming election fraud. 
-- Jeff says that one day he will run for something and then laughs. 
Bessie Smith (Bob Dylan & The Band cover sung by Spencer & on drums w Sammy & Jeff on backing vocals)
-- Jeff, Spencer & Sammy work out the harmonies in Bessie Smith.
Jesus, Etc. 
-- Jeff & Susie briefly discuss the Obama speech on MSNBC. 

-- Susie shows off Jeff's Jeff Tweedy Martin model acoustic guitar. 
Rilkean Heart (Cocteau Twins cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on backing vocals)
-- "it's International Men's Day today".
-- "it's World Toilet Day today" which leads to a story about Jeff cleaning a toilet. 
-- Sammy announces that his girlfriend will be coming into town, so he won't be on the show for a while. 

The Tweedy Show Friday November 20 Episode 122 

-- Casey is not there due to being sick with an ear infection, but Basil is there. 
-- Jeff plays the harmonica for Basil.
She's A Jar (Jeff on harmonica)
-- Peter (via Alexa) explains why they never brought Danny to the World's Fair. 
-- Peter tells a joke about Moishe Finkelstein who wrote a song with a little help from this guy named Tweedy who wrote How To Write One Song. 
-- Peter raves about Jeff's introduction for How To Write One Song. 
-- Susie mentions that they were thinking about putting the show on the tv, so that Jeff can read the comments. 
-- Jeff mentions that he talked about Opaline on a popular, yet to be revealed podcast that should be released soon. He does reveal that the hearse lyrics in the song happened to him in real life. 
-- Jeff talks about listening to music at The Loft. 
-- Susie's first record she ever bought was Head Hunter by Herbie Hancock.
-- Jeff says that there is a therevox on Sick Server and not a theremin. 
-- Jeff met Ringo Starr after Ringo talked to Kermit The Frog at the Grammy's. 
-- Jeff says that JFK, Jr. used to come to his shows back in the day. 
-- Jeff's favorite movie is Paper Moon. 
-- Susie talks about bringing Spencer, Sammy and the neighborhood kids to see 1976's The Bad News Bears and forgot that the film was full of "F bombs". 
-- Jeff & Spencer improvise a Basil song.
-- Susie tries to remember which film had an actress rubbing lemons on her breasts. The film was 1980's Atlantic City directed by Louis Malle and the actress was Susan Sarandon. 
-- Spencer sings & plays drums on a bit of Pilot's Magic. 
I Know What It's Like (w Spencer on drums)
A Robin Or A Wren (w Spencer on drums)

8 hours ago, knotgreen said:

Thanks again for the recaps, @u2roolz! I had been maintaining a Spotify playlist of all of the cover songs played during TWS but had neglected the whole thing for the last month and a half. Thanks to your recaps I've gone back and added all of the songs I'd missed. 

Thank you for the kind words!