Wilco - Cousin - New Album

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Via a Hoffmann Music Forum user:   From Uncut: 9/10 review: “If there’s any criticism to be leveled at Le Bon’s production work, it’s that her fingerprints are often audibly all over the

Stumbled upon it by accident - I was trying to look up some Cruel Country lyrics and thought the blank space in the discography page seemed a little strange. Hovered over and there it was.  No ar

🚨🚨🚨 Cousin (the song) is available, in full, right now!  🚨🚨🚨 This record is going to be really special 🥲    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BeneathTheOldSnow said:

Spoilers: 

Sounds like the twitter clip is Pittsburgh! (Earlier version is on Starship Casual/Tweedy Show)

Thank you. I knew this sounded familiar but couldn't place it. I was worried they had plagiarized somebody.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, it has been a minute, but good to see everyone. I've been trying to keep my anticipation in check, but after reading that Uncut review, I am officially excited to hear this. Seeing them in Dallas the night before the release should also make it an interesting and exciting night.

Is Evicted the outlier? Some of what I am reading makes it sound like the type of album I've been wanting them to make since AGIB. Either way, just happy to have more new music from them.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, DiamondClaw said:

Only 10 tracks total on the album — maybe they're trying to not reveal too much and maximize the wow factor?

Also, if I recall, a lot of the track lengths are on the long side, so there may not be very much to choose from for singles.

Yeah I was waiting to see if they'd follow that little teaser video with another song (some folks ID'd that snippet as possibly being "Pittsburgh" using some context clues from Tweedy Show, etc.), but at this point I'd be pretty surprised if they dropped another single between now and the 29th.

If they do, I'd put my money on this Friday or this coming Mon/Tues... That'll be approx. 2 weeks out from release day and IMO it wouldn't make much sense to share something any closer to the date. My Spidey Senses were correct about the Cate Le Bon involvement piece ;) but here I'm gonna say this is a one-single-only album rollout, probably for all the reasons mentioned in previous comments.

Damn, that's a great track!

One thing I've enjoyed about "Evicted" and especially "Cousin" is that Jeff's writing solid bridges/middle-eights into songs again. Less verse/chorus/verse; more verse/chorus/weird twist/chorus/verse. :)

• Like 2

Very cool track.  Most satisfying thing they've done in two or three albums.  One thing I like about this is that Tweedy's vocal track isn't mixed way higher than everything else.  Thankfully we're back to a place where the instrumentation is not relegated to a subservient role to Tweedy's vocal, like it is on a lot of their recent work. (Not all, obviously.) Prominent instrumentation is a hallmark of their best music, and I'll admit it: I don't like Wilco when Tweedy's voice is too forward in the mix.  I like ensemble music far more than singer & backing band music, and ensemble music what this is.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, 5hake1t0ff said:

Anyone else getting big Bowie vibes from what we’re hearing so far?

I hadn't thought about that, but...Maybe?  The timing of this comment is interesting to me in a tangential way.  Hearing Bowie recently is what gave me the realization that Tweedy's voice is often mixed too high for my liking, as I mentioned in a previous comment.   There aren't many singers whose voice should be more prominent in the mix than Bowie's was, and Tweedy is definitely not one of them, so I'm happy to hear his voice dialed back a bit and everyone else dialed up a lot.   

I actually like Tweedy’s vocals in the forefront and felt they had been missing on the last few before Cruel Country. It’s all subjective!

I do like the production a lot and the fact that the whole band seems to be being utilized. Sadly, neither track has grabbed me much emotionally, but glad others dig it so much and fingers crossed for for the new album… 

To be more specific, I'm talking mid-to-late-70s Bowie. Station to Station thru the Berlin Trilogy. And more the style/instrumentation than the vocals mix.

But to the vocals mix comments, I immediately noticed the same thing with the latest track. It caught me a little off guard, but on repeated listens, I do also enjoy the effect it has of highlighting the ensemble, as jff already pointed out.

This one is more interesting to me than Evicted. It starts and you wrestle with it, "What time signature is this? What kind of percussion am I hearing? How'd they squeeze that bass melody in there?". It's just difficult enough. Then the bridge opens up and sprinkles some sugar. Cool song. As always it will yield even more when it's part of a bigger sequence.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, chisoxjtrain said:

My vinyl copy is supposed to show up today! Anyone else?

Did you get an email notification? Did you preorder from Wilcoworld? I was trying to remember whether previous Wilcoworld album orders just showed up unannounced or whether they were preceded by a shipping notice.