Wilco - Cousin - New Album

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Via a Hoffmann Music Forum user:   From Uncut: 9/10 review: “If there’s any criticism to be leveled at Le Bon’s production work, it’s that her fingerprints are often audibly all over the

Stumbled upon it by accident - I was trying to look up some Cruel Country lyrics and thought the blank space in the discography page seemed a little strange. Hovered over and there it was.  No ar

🚨🚨🚨 Cousin (the song) is available, in full, right now!  🚨🚨🚨 This record is going to be really special 🥲    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TCP said:

Let's start a betting pool on when the first single will be dropped. 

The one-year anniversary of Cruel Country (digital version anyway) is this weekend I think. Maybe that gets its last moment in the spotlight and then the news comes in the next week or two? I'd think an announcement would at the very least come before Jeff's solo tour next month.

3 hours ago, DiamondClaw said:

The one-year anniversary of Cruel Country (digital version anyway) is this weekend I think. Maybe that gets its last moment in the spotlight and then the news comes in the next week or two? I'd think an announcement would at the very least come before Jeff's solo tour next month.

Yeah I think that's a pretty good guess. I was hoping for this week but usually music gets announced Monday - Thursday so if it hasn't been made yet it won't be this week... probably.

Then again, Locator got released as a one year celebration of Star Wars with no mention of Schmilco at the time. The album was shortly after sleuthed by VCers, IIRC. The band announced it shortly after.

This is exciting news.  I've been on a three record losing streak with Wilco.  Hopefully this new one will be something very different than the last three and my streak will come to an end.

• Analogman changed the title to Wilco - Cousin - New Album

Cousin - Hmm. Interesting title considering that they took the stage to the Succession theme song last month and there’s a character called Cousin Greg. Or it could be a nod to some of the other most memorable cousins on tv shows: Cousin Balki, Cousin Oliver & Cousin It. The one thing that I think that connects all 4 characters are that they are outliers and I wonder if that plays into this record amongst the Wilco discography. {possibly pulled a muscle on that stretch}

Songs: As others here have mentioned, a few of them have debuted on The Tweedy Show & Starship Casual. I feel like I’m Kind Of In Love With You and Say I Love You Again could be on here, but got retitled to an unrecognizable title. I listened to those two again over the past week, since this news broke and not one lyric comes up in the ten song titles on Cousin. Maybe it is on there. I didn’t recognize The Plains when I scanned the Cruel Country track list against the unreleased Tweedy Show songs. 

Sunlight Ends was performed on Danny’s front porch. That was a beauty. Infinite Surprise was performed a few times on the couch. I have a faint memory of the song taking a new direction in the last half of the song, whenever he played it the second time. Others have covered ground with the songs that we definitely know. 

Reddit rumor: a certain someone (Solid Sound & SBS alum) produced the record. 

I’m looking forward to this record dethroning Cousin Greg & Cousin Balki as my favorite Cousin. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, u2roolz said:

Cousin - Hmm. Interesting title considering that they took the stage to the Succession theme song last month and there’s a character called Cousin Greg. Or it could be a nod to some of the other most memorable cousins on tv shows: Cousin Balki, Cousin Oliver & Cousin It. The one thing that I think that connects all 4 characters are that they are outliers and I wonder if that plays into this record amongst the Wilco discography. {possibly pulled a muscle on that stretch}

They did that as a joke for their manager who is a big fan of the show. 

1 hour ago, chisoxjtrain said:

They did that as a joke for their manager who is a big fan of the show. 

Thank you for that info! I thought that I had cracked the case. 🤦🏻‍♂️

17 minutes ago, lost highway said:

Oh, don't be a tease!

Spoiler

Cate Le Bon

Paraphrasing a Reddit user: oh, I know someone who knows someone that worked on this project, so trust me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It would be pretty sweet, if it comes true. That’s really the only tidbit on that thread. 

7 hours ago, u2roolz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Paraphrasing a Reddit user: oh, I know someone who knows someone that worked on this project, so trust me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It would be pretty sweet, if it comes true. That’s really the only tidbit on that thread. 

That would be an oddly specific and Wilco relevant collaboration to mistakenly invent. There's likely some truth to it, but I'd only be wary of the specific role, i.e. 'Album produced by x', vs 'Tracks 2, 4, and 7 produced by x', or even 'Track 3 co-produced by x, additional vocals and guitar by x'.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, u2roolz said:

. I feel like I’m Kind Of In Love With You and Say I Love You Again could be on here, but got retitled to an unrecognizable title.

Just did a google search for Wilcoworld and Cousin and "I Feel Like I'm Kind of in Love With You" came up as a b-side/extra non album track for the Cousin album (as of 8 days ago apparently). Neat!

• Like 3

I wonder if Cousin is a reference to The Bear, which prominently featured two Wilco tracks (including an entire one-shot episode set to the Kicking Television version of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)"), and is set in Chicago. Two of the main characters call each other "Cousin" as a term of endearment, although they are not, actually cousins.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nick Offerman has some sort of copy of this new album as his interview with Stuart Maconie for BBC 6music's Radcliffe & Maconie radio show - for their 'First, Last and Everything' feature - has just gone out in the UK, and he wanted to choose a track from it as his 'Last' (latest) choice.

Stuart explained that they were unable to play it though 'because it's so new, it's not out', so we got a Cruel Country track instead.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ghost Of Bob Cumming said:

Nick Offerman has some sort of copy of this new album as his interview with Stuart Maconie for BBC 6music's Radcliffe & Maconie radio show - for their 'First, Last and Everything' feature - has just gone out in the UK, and he wanted to choose a track from it as his 'Last' (latest) choice.

Stuart explained that they were unable to play it though 'because it's so new, it's not out', so we got a Cruel Country track instead.

I take this as confirmation that the album is done. At this point we're just waiting for whatever manufacturing and marketing route they've chosen (wait for vinyl, or drop it digital with vinyl preorders). The real question is if Nick is quietly a forum member and if he's prepared to share some of his impressions of the album with us!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lost highway said:

I take this as confirmation that the album is done. At this point we're just waiting for whatever manufacturing and marketing route they've chosen (wait for vinyl, or drop it digital with vinyl preorders). The real question is if Nick is quietly a forum member and if he's prepared to share some of his impressions of the album with us!

I wonder if we'll get the official announcement this week. With Jeff's solo tour kicking off, it cold be a nice time for a news drop. 🤞🏼

1 hour ago, lost highway said:

Don't forget the third option: release the CD. Don't hold the CD hostage to the vinyl.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, lost highway said:

The real question is if Nick is quietly a forum member and if he's prepared to share some of his impressions of the album with us!

Ok.  I've kept it a secret for years. Here goes.  I am Nick Offerman.  :)

• Haha 5