Wilco - Cousin - New Album

3 minutes ago, 5hake1t0ff said:

I must say, this is not the description I was hoping for of the first single off the supposed "art pop" record, but I will strive to retain my tabula rasa and trust my dudes.

I get that. The "art pop" moniker brings some big league expectations. I wouldn't describe the song as jarring or anything. But it seems like a good single, with a catchy chorus, clean vocals and strong melody. Who knows, it could end up being an outlier from the album. The weirder/noisier tracks might be album cuts. It was only a first impression, but I liked the song.

• Like 3
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Via a Hoffmann Music Forum user:   From Uncut: 9/10 review: “If there’s any criticism to be leveled at Le Bon’s production work, it’s that her fingerprints are often audibly all over the

Stumbled upon it by accident - I was trying to look up some Cruel Country lyrics and thought the blank space in the discography page seemed a little strange. Hovered over and there it was.  No ar

🚨🚨🚨 Cousin (the song) is available, in full, right now!  🚨🚨🚨 This record is going to be really special 🥲    

Posted Images

Okay, round two:

If you ever (I did) wondered how it would have turned out if Jeff had the Wilcos around to add just a pinch of fuss to his unfussy, peppier solo tunes (thinking 'Some Birds', 'I Know What It's Like') here it is. Much like with 'Tired of Taking It Out on You' I can hear how they've grown to add texture and flourish to do breezy stronger than when the members backed up 'You and I' (a fine tune none the less).

One can't help but think the first single is usually the most accessible. I think thornier sounds are ahead, but this is a nice little tune. The little flourishes and textures elevate it above what I thought we were getting in the first verse.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, u2roolz said:

Evicted is officially on YouTube on the East Coast and the album is available for pre-order on iTunes, along with Evicted for purchase right now. What a fun day today was! 

edit: You can see the album artwork both places. Looks super cool.

There's only one YouTube, so I think that means it's available worldwide.

It has been up for 16 hours and only has 52 views, so word has definitely not gotten out.

(I commented on YouTube that the cover looks kind of like Toomgis from the AMPM ads, for those who are familiar. Hopefully, this is because the album contains Too Much Good Stuff.)

Individual tracks are listed for $1.29 on Amazon, but only "Evicted" is actually available for purchase now. Other tracks say "not yet available." I didn't check them all, but I assume it's the same set of tracks as leaked out before.

5 minutes ago, u2roolz said:

I meant that it will hit YouTube, once it hits midnight in your area. Wherever that may be. It most likely shows up as unavailable for those on the West Coast. 

No, it's up on the west coast. That's where I am. If a page is active on YouTube, it's active everywhere.

I wasn't meaning to sound pedantic. I was just trying to let people who might not have realized it know that they don't have to wait until midnight to see it if they're not on the east coast.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, Marijn said:

They'll probably use the upcoming European tour to test the waters and play some new songs, like they did in 2019 just before the release of OTJ. Last European date is 9/9 and the American leg of the tour starts at 9/26, so my guess for a release date would be 9/15 or 9/22.

Almost nailed it 😄

• Like 1

It’s funny how the new tune sounds like Tweedy + Wilco + a sprinkling of Cate Le Bon. I’m here for it, and I’m sure, based on the promo verbiage, we’re in for some fun sonic twists and turns across Cousin.

"Le Bon’s influences—among them the inclusion of saxophone, cheap Japanese guitars, and a cinematic, New Wave-style drum machine—drive the album into the future. "

The WilcoWorld.Net page that started this all off is official now. Nice to have a Welsh connection anyway. Up until now it's just been Bryn Mawr and a Green Man appearance (bet Glenn doesn't even have a Welsh flag patch on his shirt for that). Hope she's got them all geared up for the rugby world cup next month.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, 5hake1t0ff said:

Amazing how hyped I still get, after all these years. Don't know if that says more about what a great band Wilco is, or me being an obsessive type.

Ha, don't worry, you're not the only one! Nothing more exciting than a new album announcement. I always get hyped for it, but I feel especially excited for this one in a way I haven't since The Whole Love.

• Like 1

Don't know if these are official, but track lengths are listed here

1. Infinite Surprise 5:43
2. Ten Dead 3:55
3. Levee 4:11
4. Evicted 3:30
5. Sunlight Ends 3:53
6. A Bowl and a Pudding 4:03
7. Cousin 4:11
8. Pittsburgh 5:14
9. Soldier Child 4:17
10. Meant to Be 3:55
Total length: 42:52

I like that they let these songs stretch out a bit more. At 3:30, "Evicted" is the shortest song on the album.

• Like 2

Hoping that the subsequent tracks are a bit weirder, but I like it.  

Also wish that I could order the vinyl off bandcamp.  They didn't offer that for CC either and I like to stream and have the physical release!

10 minutes ago, Madcap said:

Hoping that the subsequent tracks are a bit weirder, but I like it.  

Also wish that I could order the vinyl off bandcamp.  They didn't offer that for CC either and I like to stream and have the physical release!

Can't you just buy it elsewhere? Order it from the band or via a different retailer?

I usually order the CD directly from the band, but they have been a little unreliable when it comes to shipping it so that you receive it by release day. With tickets to see several shows starting five days after release date, it's really important that this arrives on time so I will have had a chance to listen to it before the shows.