Wilco - Cousin - New Album

10 minutes ago, Brian F. said:

Did you get an email notification? Did you preorder from Wilcoworld? I was trying to remember whether previous Wilcoworld album orders just showed up unannounced or whether they were preceded by a shipping notice.

I pre-ordered from WilcoWorld. I got a notification email that it had shipped with a USPS tracking number. I also have the Shop app attached to my email which tracks all my orders.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Via a Hoffmann Music Forum user:   From Uncut: 9/10 review: “If there’s any criticism to be leveled at Le Bon’s production work, it’s that her fingerprints are often audibly all over the

Stumbled upon it by accident - I was trying to look up some Cruel Country lyrics and thought the blank space in the discography page seemed a little strange. Hovered over and there it was.  No ar

🚨🚨🚨 Cousin (the song) is available, in full, right now!  🚨🚨🚨 This record is going to be really special 🥲    

Posted Images

On the one hand, I'm encouraged by the fact that they've shipped some of these out to arrive before Friday. On the other hand, I'm discouraged because I still haven't gotten a shipping notice. I really need this no later than Friday so I can have some familiarity before the shows starting Wednesday.

• Like 1

One of the reviewers started out by writing that "Wilco has settled into a more straightforward musical style defined by stripped-back, acoustic instrumentation and Jeff Tweedy’s confessional songwriting" since Sky Blue Sky, but I don't think most of The Whole Love fits that description. Nor does Star Wars. I think sometimes these critics, who have to listen to a lot of material, have only a passing familiarity with the catalogs of the artists they review. Or things just disappear down the memory hole. I feel like every review of every album by my favorite veteran acts declares it a "welcome return to form." How is album No. 13 a welcome return to form if you previously described album No. 12 as a welcome return to form?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Brian F. said:

On the one hand, I'm encouraged by the fact that they've shipped some of these out to arrive before Friday. On the other hand, I'm discouraged because I still haven't gotten a shipping notice. I really need this no later than Friday so I can have some familiarity before the shows starting Wednesday.

I'm feeling the same! Only got my shipping notice today.

It just occurred to me that they will probably send out a download by Friday to those of us who have purchased it, so I can burn that onto a CD and have that to listen to assuming the actual CD hasn't arrived. I forgot that's what I did with Cruel Country since there was no physical release (and, in that case, they sent the downloads about a week in advance of the release date since the release date was the first day of Solid Sound).

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Brian F. said:

It just occurred to me that they will probably send out a download by Friday to those of us who have purchased it, so I can burn that onto a CD and have that to listen to assuming the actual CD hasn't arrived. I forgot that's what I did with Cruel Country since there was no physical release (and, in that case, they sent the downloads about a week in advance of the release date since the release date was the first day of Solid Sound).

I assume Friday it will be available on all the streaming services, no? 

6 hours ago, KevinG said:

I assume Friday it will be available on all the streaming services, no? 

Probably so but I don't have access to any of them and, even if I did, I can't listen to them on my stereo or in my car.

I just got teased by an email that my order has been shipped, but when I clicked to track the shipment, it's only at the "a label has been created" stage.

6 hours ago, Brian F. said:

I just gave it two full listens, and I am very pleased with it. I was worried this was going to be in the vein of "Ode to Joy," but it is not. There are a lot of highlights on this album. At least nine of the ten tracks grabbed me right away.

But at the same time I do think there's very clear melodic succession to OTJ. I think the melody on Infinite Surprise definitely takes a bit from Quiet Amplifier specifically the cadence. 

The only track I'm not googley-eyed over is Ten Dead. It's *fine* but didn't make me say "yeah buddy!" after it was over. Granted, I've only listened to the record 4 times so far. 

• Like 1