We Can Make It Better

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Oct 17 2006, 12:30 PM)

I wish Jeff gave that guy a good, solid donkeypunch.

And all those working security............they deserve to never be employed as "security" again.

do you know what a donkeypunch is? :lol

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the show too, and it was pretty awkward.

It looked like the tool that got up on stage was trying to kiss Tweedy. Then it looked like Tweedy half punched/half pushed the guy away with his right hand on the tool’s face.

The show was still amazing.

Stan Doty (Sound Board Tech) gave me the set list, and said that he’d never seen something that crazy at a Wilco show before.

Set List:

Via Chicago

Shot

BYH

HS Drugs

Impossible Germany

Company

War

At Least…

Jesus

Flowers

Walken

Theologians

I’m the Man

Poor Places

Late Greats

Encore #1

Airline

Hummingbird

Red Eyed (NOT PLAYED – assuming due to the disturbance of that audience douche who got up on stage)

I Got You (NOT PLAYED – assuming due to the disturbance of that audience douche who got up on stage)

Encore #2

HMD

LNGCA

Kingpin

Cali Stars

Slogun

I guess my past experiences of gigs in Britain have shaped that view - I've seen people get up on stage a lot in the past and put their arm around the guitarist or whatever,

we won the revolution - we don't have to put up with that crap anymore

B)-->
<!--quotec-->

And all those working security............they deserve to never be employed as "security" again.

Yeah, of course he does. His point was that Jeff shoulda violated HIS 'space' - hard.

I really have no problem with Jeff Tweedy hitting/man handling (or whatever he did) a drunk person who gets up on stage or telling some drunk in the crowd to cut it out, or even someone getting punched in the crowd because they are acting drunk, or any such thing. All that is totally fair enough to me. If you act like a prick to people then you deserve to be punched. But, it is just an annoyance, nothing more than that. It's simply a distraction from what's going on up on the stage, but so is someone singing the words in your ear, or shouting for their favourite song, or dancing on your toes - these things aren't security risks even though they infringe on my personal space. These people aren't doing it to piss me off, they are doing it because that is what they do in those situations, just like the guy that got up on stage. He's a stage-getter-upper-a, and that's what he does. He'll probably do it another band's concert and the crowd will all cheer in unison and his heart will soar like a bird.

apply this argument to that Damageplan show and then try again.

B)-->
<!--quotec-->

When I posted that, I thought it was a solid blow to the jewels.........then I looked it up on Wiki and found otherwise. Ah well....you get my drift, right?

apply this argument to that Damageplan show and then try again.

Look. It's that point you are trying to make there, and no other point that I really am against here. Citing one event and one person who went in there with the intention of killing someone as a reason to fear anyone that gets up on stage, which I find so utterly hard to understand. Are you suggesting that the security at other shows is all that has stopped a rash of gun crimes on musicians in the US? Or what are you trying to say?

here's what i posted on my myspace messageboard, after my wilco-hating friend sean proudly posted the pitchfork article:

thanks for the alert on the article, sean. i know how much you "love" wilco, jeff especially.

this is from VC system administrator, donna, who is one of the most "tell it like it is" people i have encountered and who was in the audience, front and center.

pitchfork is inaccurate in many ways once again. i trust the article that appeared today about as much as i trust pitchfork reviews to tell me what is good and what isn't.

if you want a true account of what happened, here 'tis. if you don't, then have fun in dramaville, because i won't even come near those city limits.

sounds to me, that with more than one weird person showing up on stage, jeff had every reason to be freaked out.

my standing beside him here has nothing to do with being a big wilco fan...i would do the same for frickin' james blunt or anyone, really.

j

"This wasn't a funny or amusing situation.....the guy moved quickly and seemed deranged. Jeff was well into "Airline" and lost in the singing of the song, as was the audience in listening to it. Suddenly this nutjob was just there, and it didn't seem cute or playful, it just seemed really, really weird. He startled Jeff thoroughly and Jeff just reacted, as he had every right to, and tried to get the guy off of, and away from himself. Again, I can't stress enough how AWOL security was.....during intermission I had been coming from the restroom and had to actually poke a security guy in the back to alert him to two girls having a slap-and-scratch fight, very loudly, just a few feet away. I told him, "You might want to go handle that." It was about to turn into a rolling-on-the-floor type fight, and this guy was just utterly oblivious as he chatted with the concessions people. From stories I heard from other audience members, and other scenes I witnessed around me through the night, this was typical of the security all night. They just weren't there when they were needed.

Ok, can we talk more about the music now? Because the band just blazed, both before and after the various incidents. Many songs had fresh, inventive twists to the arrangements, and it all sounded fantastic. The venue sounded great, the lighting was very cool, and it looks like I got some nice pictures which I'll share later. They were very "on".

SETLIST, Shriner's Mosque, Springfield, MO - October 16, 2006 (Thanks for taking it down, Edie!)

Via Chicago

Shot in the Arm

IATTBYH

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Company in my Back

War on War (Jeff had to deal w/ the drunken guy slamming into the kid at this point)

ALTWYS

Jesus Etc.

Forget the Flowers

Walken

Theologians (when did this get so big & muscle-y? It's been working out!)

ITMWLY

Poor Places (Complete with drunken girl coming out to sit next to Mikael)

Late Greats

Encore One:

Airline to Heaven (Interrupted by deranged stage-jumper)

Hummingbird (in which Jeff & the audience reclaimed our show with a lovely clasping of hands down the whole stage edge as he sang, and some of the most heartfelt singing ever by all of us)

Encore Two:

Heavy Metal Drummer

LNGCA (Wreck Myself) ....absolutely intense, absolutely magnificent

Kingpin

California Stars (So gorgeous I would have been homesick, if it hadn't been for the fact that I was too busy being immersed in a Perfect Moment.)"

:cheers thanks for focusing on the music and the safety issue, not the drama, donna. that's why you are our fearless leader! :cheekkiss

Aw, thanks Jen. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. :cheekkiss

Red Eyed/I Got You were indescribably mindblowing (sorry, grew up in the 60's :P ) during the soundcheck, so I'm really sorry we missed getting that.

PS dear band, please put "Who Were You Thinking Of" back into rotation.....too good not to. Oh my. :thumbup

WTF! Red Eyed and I Got You could have been played! WTFFFF

I know! When I saw this, I was pissed.

Anyone else run into an asshole in a Shriner shirt trying to muscle his way up to the front before the show? I just about predicted what Tweedy would do later with my actions there.

Look. It's that point you are trying to make there, and no other point that I really am against here. Citing one event and one person who went in there with the intention of killing someone as a reason to fear anyone that gets up on stage, which I find so utterly hard to understand. Are you suggesting that the security at other shows is all that has stopped a rash of gun crimes on musicians in the US? Or what are you trying to say?

At the Wichita gig there was a half ass pat down by security at the door, this of course seems to be just something security does to cover their asses in the event of a tragedy that may happen. It's probably done on the advise of some attorney.

During the pat down security was asking if anyone had any pocket knives or weapons. I happened to have a knife in my taper bag that was searched but they did not find. I use it to cut straps off the mic stand for those of you wondering why i would have a knife.

If someone really wanted to do harm to any band member or any person exposed to large groups history suggest it's possible.

That said, when you enter into a secure area such as a stage or even back stage uninvited that act in it self should be considered a threat, just as much as if someone was packing a gun and in the crowd.

I love every aspect of the band Wilco, from their music to their fan friendly nature.

When a audience member compromises their trust by rude behavior or a violation of their performing space i can't help but feel as some point we may loose some of the privileges we now have.

My little sister; who i took to the Ft.Worth gig, made a comment to me after the show. She said that was the first concert she had ever been to that there was not a barricade between the audience and the band. Her thing is thrasher or heavy metal music.

My reply to her was "that's one of the reasons i love them, barricades are to keep people away. Wilco wants to keep their fans near"

Lets hope this event does not change their mind.

dave

We know Jeff Tweedy can get cranky on stage -- just watch his upcoming solo DVD, "Sunken Treasure," where he goes on a self-described "hissy fit" trying to get the audience to shut the hell up during his quiet acoustic songs. But we can't blame him for losing his cool last night (Oct. 16) in Springfield, Mo., where Wilco were playing to a packed house. Luckily a Jaded Insider correspondent was front and center to behold the bizarre turn of events.

Halfway through "Airline to Heaven" during the first encore, a male fan ran onto the stage, grabbed Tweedy's head and tried to kiss him. Tweedy turned around, pulled the man's hair and then punched him in the face before shoving him out of the way. "You guys play nice," he said. "It's scary when people come up and you're trying to sing your heart out."

"I feel terrible," he continued. "I don't like to punch someone in the face. It sucks. We can make it better. I was having a really good time, but now I want to go sit down somewhere. But we can't do that. We're not gonna let those bastards win."

Tweedy clearly felt bad for his actions, so during the next song, "Hummingbird," he shook hands with people in the crowd and even began dancing in place. "Monday nights are wild in Springfield," he said. "I wouldn't want to come here on a Friday. I don't think I could handle it. You guys are in another league!"

Before the concert ended, he said, "There's a certain amount of tension here. I apologize if it came from us. It's time to let that sh*t out. We're headed to West Virginia tomorrow. This is gonna push us on down. You will wake up tomorrow and feel less empty. Don't ask how this is going to make you full, but you might not eat tomorrow."

Saddest of all: according to the set list at the soundboard, "Red Eyed" and "I Got You (At the End of the Century" were going to be played during the first encore, but were dropped after all the hubbub.

Nels was on fire,I thought his head just might explode!

Anyone have the stare down pic between Jeff and Nels,it was kind of like.....................your better,no............your better.What partnership lastnight,to tell you the truth I think John was more upset than Jeff,but Jeff got to him first.Love seeing Poor Places making it's rounds,but please...................oh please,we really love What Light.

And yes,I think baricades will be enforced when needed,and should be!

Maybe moats might work also.

I am going to make this quick. Just got home from a TERRIFIC weekend with my best Wilco runnin' girls, Chris and Donna.

When we go to see shows, we all pay for the privilige of seeing the artists play. The same can be said for going to a museum to see art/history, or to a ballgame.

There is a trust that exists between the artist and the voyuers that in this case was violated twice when people who did not belong inserted themselves into the show. While the band gamely did their best at restoring the balance, the show was just not the same after these incidents.

Security was sadly lacking at the show after the doors opened. They did a great job of keeping people out, but once inside, it was a different story. Why there were no barricades between the stage and the crowd, I have no clue. That would have lessened the chance of the idiot jumping on the stage in the first place.

When the first incident with the idiots in the crowd (one of whom was so loud that her only redeeming quality was that she knew all the words) I wished that security would have come over and at least warned them. Instead, when Jeff called them on their poor behavior, they tried to get other people to join them in saying "fuck Wilco" or somesuch. They were largely met with stony stares.

The second and third incidents with folks coming up on stage was much scarier. Where were the security people? One of the roadies pulled the "drunk" chick off of Mikael's bench, and after Jeff was bothered by the indie boy, Nels -- being rightfully pissed off -- actually walked off the stage to get security. I mean, WTF?

When Jeff reached around to push the guy away, I turned away because I felt so ashamed as a concert goer to have witnessed such a thing. I looked back when the intruder was off the stage and Jeff had just the most perplexed and annoyed look on his face. Again, I felt the trust that the band has that we (the audience) will hold up our end of the bargain was violated.

After the show was over, I walked back to the hotel a few blocks away and then took a long shower as to wash off all the bad vibes.

Other than that, the music positively smoked and the band was really really good. I think that they just keep getting better. The new material fits well into the current set and I look forward to more of it. Initially, I was thinking that I was done with GA shows for a while, but I don't want to throw out the baby with bathwater.

Oh, in no way did this "ruin" our trip. Donna and Chris are wonderful traveling companions and it just plain was wonderful from beginning to end.

Edie

Some of those quotes are fairly off but no harm done. I was front row between Nels and Jeff and the events happened just about how Jaded Insider put it. Althought I didn't see Jeff punch the guy, just yank him by the neck/hair over to stage right while Nels was trying to get the good-for-nothing security goons to do their job.

I wasn't at the show, so I'm not clear on what happened, but I think it is funny that out of all the comments we've seen here explaining the incident, Pitchfork uses the most sensationalized version for its story before getting to the real details.

And even the "real details" are not factual. The incident occured in the first encore. The incident with Mikael was before that, and the girl did not "sit on the stage", she was sitting on Mikael's bench right next to Mikael!

Hello Edie,glad to see you guys got home safe.I completly understand why you didn't hang around aferwards.After the scene I took off to the back of the venue and smoked some cigs to kind figure what really just happened,I felt pretty embarased,and still do.You ladies are the greatest and the kindest souls I've ever met,and oh yeah,I miss Wilco already!

Hello Edie,glad to see you guys got home safe.I completly understand why you didn't hang around aferwards.After the scene I took off to the back of the venue and smoked some cigs to kind figure what really just happened,I felt pretty embarased,and still do.You ladies are the greatest and the kindest souls I've ever met,and oh yeah,I miss Wilco already!

Thanks Oceanman!! It was great meeting you as well, and look forward to seeing you at some show in the future!!11!!