We Can Make It Better

Thanks for the news,pretty much exactly what happened.

I think if this stayed in the inital thread it might not get way out of hand.There is no need for three threads for the same thing.

Thanks for the news!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from

Longtime Springfield resident Lou Whitney (owner of The Studio, record producer and bassist for the Skeletons/Morrels, Syd Straw, Steve Forbert, and others) was at the show. He put it this way. "Jeff shouldn't back off an inch on this one. I saw the whole damn thing... he reacted how anyone would when surprised by having someone invade their personal space -- a space that is supposed to be secure. The guy walked up behind him and grabbed him around his head.You couldn't tell if he was gonna kiss him, hug him or something else. And Jeff pushed him or hit him or whatever to get him away. Hell, under the circumstances, Mahatma Gandhi probably might have done the same thing."

this just in......

Using high tech seismographic sensors researchers at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory have just determined that Gandhi has rolled over in his grave.

I appreciate the clairfication directly from the band. The story that Pitchfork published was shoddy reporting at best, and slander at worst.

I hope that this is my last post on the subject.

I got it! Instead of an opening band, let's have Jeff and a drunk fan go a few rounds before Wilco's set. Saves money, and could make for some real inneresting performances.

Do I smell pay-per-view?

Remember Joe Frazier and the Knockouts?

1051797208.jpg

I saw 'em between games of a Phillies doubleheader in '72

You guys are going to make me wear out the merge button, and then this board is really gonna be a mess. :rolleyes

Merging with the main discussion in 5...4...3...2...1...

Editorial comment from kidsmoke: True, it makes no sense when threads like this one are merged, because the board merges each post according to when it was posted in whatever (then unmerged) thread it was posted in.

Gives the whole thing a weird, surreal quality. A lot like the Springfield Massacre itself. :yes

I hope someone recorded this show, just so I can get the soundbite "I don't want to have to punch anyone in the fuckin' face" and make it my phone's ringtone.

Care to have the sound of me choking on my coffee when I read your post instead :lol?

Seriously, does anyone else think that this event was the end of the "accessible band" days without tight security etc, simply because they can't afford it anymore due to insurance reasons?

Billboard article:

Tweedy Speaks Out After Missouri Incident

Jeff Tweedy

October 18, 2006, 4:20 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Jeff Tweedy has spoken out about an incident during Wilco's Monday night (Oct. 16) concert in Springfield, Mo., where he punched a male fan who had jumped onto the stage and grabbed the singer from behind. In a post on Wilco's Web site, the band says it felt unsafe all night long and had already endured a stage-crasher earlier in the show.

"I wish it had gone another way," Tweedy says. "And I suspect had I felt safer on that stage, had security been doing a better job all night long, well, things would have gone differently. He approached me from behind and I reacted in defense to get him away. I didn't know what his intentions were, and I had to get him off of me. I'm sad that it happened at all."

"I feel terrible," Tweedy told the crowd following the incident. "I don't like to punch someone in the face. It sucks. We can make it better. I was having a really good time, but now I want to go sit down somewhere. But we can't do that. We're not gonna let those bastards win."

Wilco plays tonight in Morgantown, W. Va. As previously reported, Tweedy's solo DVD, "Sunken Treasure," arrives next Tuesday via Nonesuch.

check out Glenn getting up to deliver a beat down

You can tell by the wristbands that Glenn's a total tough. :P I was actually surprised that none of the other guys jumped into it. It looks like it happened really quickly though, I'm sure they were all stunned.

That was totally a defensive move on Jeff's part, doesn't look like he manhandled the guy in any way beyond what was necessary to get him off of his head.

wow. the guy was definitely coming up from behind, and he just freakin' grabbed Jeff's head. what an ass.

to me it looked like Jeff saw him all the way, but then it also looked to me like he didn't punch him but rather pushed him away by the head, and pitchfork seem to still be saying he punched the guy, so I don't know. it kind of affirms to me what i thought happened anyway - that the guy got up and acted a dick and Jeff got pissed off with him for both being disrespectful and putting him and the band off what they were there to do. you can tell he looks pissed that the guys up on stage, and when he touched him and went in for the kiss he went far enough for Jeff to do something about it. also, to me it wasn't so much the fact that he wanted to touch him, but more the way he seemed to be going about it - almost like his thought process was - "look mum, i'm petting the monkey", but unfortunately for him, the monkey fought back. hopefully Jeff taught him a valueable lesson for the next time he goes to the zoo - you could look at it that way, you know - Jeff Tweedy might have actually just saved this guy's life.