We Can Make It Better

Anybody climbing on stage at a concert is an asshole. Anybody putting his hands on the face of a performer is an asshole AND a threat....how is Tweedy to know this drunken fool won't do something harmful? I still don't know what Tweedy did, but I like the story that he punched him.

And you can't compare this to someone staying after the show to meet the perfomer. People want to say hi and shake the hand because they want the performer to know they did a great job. And yes, it IS cool to have a photo of yourself with someone you admire. I don't get your point.

Oh yeah...ahem....anyone have a SETLIST?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just clear up, what my point was on all this. I believe that if Jeff Tweedy punched or did whatever he did to the guy because he thought he was a twat, then I am ok with that (I wouldn't have done it myself, but I can understand why someone would be angry with that behaviour), however if he did it because he felt threatened then I feel kind of sorry for him to have that view of that situation. I personally think he did it because he thought the bloke was a twat - I mean, it's kind of interesting that he didn't run off which would definately have given the game away that he felt fearful. My problem is with this sort of notion of fear that some sort of barrier was broken that protected band from audience. Some bands love it when you get up on stage, and punk bands even used to love it if you spat at them - Wilco don't, obviously, they have their views on what's acceptable and this guy didn't follow their views - he fucked up, but I doubt his motives were negative to him, they were simply misguided.

A comment like this is very interesting in the modern world - this belief (the later part, anyway) kind of explains to me just how and why global politics is as it is now:

Anybody climbing on stage at a concert is an asshole. Anybody putting his hands on the face of a performer is an asshole AND a threat....how is Tweedy to know this drunken fool won't do something harmful?

The question - how is Tweedy to know this drunken fool won't do something harmful? Is not the question I want answered. The question I want answered is - why would Tweedy think this drunken fool would do him any harm?

which makes me wonder, WAS he a drunken frat guy? :P Im somewhat trepidatious about the crowd composition at WVU, where they feature not only drunken frat boys but also a crazed football culture.

Those schools with "crazed football cultures" are very unpredictable. Kids at WVU tend to do things like set cars on fire. I thought it was an odd venue when I saw they were playing there and now my thoughts are confirmed.

Wow.

Oh, and the biggest problem with wazzack's comparison for me is that if someone waits around after a show for a performer, the performer gets to decide whether or not to have contact with that person. Not the other way around.

As for the stage invaders not being threatening - actually getting onstage in the first place, you are already much further along on the generally accepted "unacceptable behavior" continuum than you would be making unwanted advances on someone at a bar. If you're willing to do that, and then start to manhandle someone on the stage, I don't think it's really clear what you plan to do next. But, I wasn't there. I tend to put more stock in the descriptions of people who actually were there to gauge the situation.

Oh, and I'd like to know what they played too. ;)

"The question - how is Tweedy to know this drunken fool won't do something harmful? Is not the question I want answered. The question I want answered is - why would Tweedy think this drunken fool would do him any harm?"

My question is, why would Tweedy NOT think this drunken fool would do him any harm?

What if the a-hole passes out while holding Jeff's face and Tweedy gets pulled to the ground. What if a-hole, drunk guy accidentally rams his finger into Jeff's eyeball? What if a-hole, drunk guy decides to lift Tweedy on his shoulders to impress his frat brothers? What a-hole, drunk guy just happens to be a nut....like those goofs that run out to ballplayers during a game?

Whatever Tweedy did was justified.

SETLIST?

ANYONE?

The question I want answered is - why would Tweedy think this drunken fool would do him any harm?

because he's a drunken fool? I don't drink and have very low tolerance for drunken idiots.

Those schools with "crazed football cultures" are very unpredictable. Kids at WVU tend to do things like set cars on fire. I thought it was an odd venue when I saw they were playing there and now my thoughts are confirmed.

We actually prefer couches and furniture now.

That dude that jumped on stage probably thought he was in a Pearl Jam video, circa 199something.

My question is, why would Tweedy NOT think this drunken fool would do him any harm?

Whatever Tweedy did was justified.

Totally.

There's a vast difference between the actions of 1) jumping onstage to dance and 2) putting your hands on the performer. The first is very presumptuous; the second is a potential assault. Any rational person would respond with fear and/or anger.

Totally.

There's a vast difference between the actions of 1) jumping onstage to dance and 2) putting your hands on the performer. The first is very presumptuous; the second is a potential assault. Any rational person would respond with fear and/or anger.

d45c.jpg

?

Of course a girl's finger in the eye or up the nose isn't gonna do half as much halm as a man's, so Dylan is right not to be fearful. 'Be Not So Fearful' doesn't someone sing that?

It's a very sick world we live in these days.You can't be too careful,especially if you're in the public eye.The big question to me is where the hell was security? I mean,this wasn't a Dead Kennedys show circa '82.I hope you real fans (O-man,Kid,etc..) didn't have your evening ruined by the events..it's always a shame when you've invested alot of time,money,emotion to go to a show & then a dark cloud ruins it for ya.

a guy jumped on stage at a Damageplan show, and shot Dimebag Darrell to death.

That's very true. But wouldn't he have shot him at some other point if he couldn't do it on stage? It's not like Wilco give you a pat-down before they sign autographs and have their pictures taken and have body guards, so I don't think they are frightened of their fans.

a guy jumped on stage at a Damageplan show, and shot Dimebag Darrell to death.

Exactly.You can't be too careful.I hate to say it,but there's alot of fans out there with a head full of snakes.

I thought Tweedy acted totally in the right. I was there, I saw the guy appear up on stage during "Airline to Heaven" and dance around like an idiot. It was even kind of ammusing, until he grabbed Jeff in the middle of the song. Jeff grabbed the guy in sort of a headlock and marched him over next to his Vox stack, whereupon the security guards finally did their jobs, at the urging of Nels, at that.

There was no punching, though it did look like Jeff seriously considered it. He apologized after the song and started up "Hummingbird" during which he walked out to the edge of the stage and gave everyone high fives.

Also: Glenn's drum solo was fucking Godly.

Great show.

That's very true. But wouldn't he have shot him at some other point if he couldn't do it on stage? It's not like Wilco give you a pat-down before they sign autographs and have their pictures taken and have body guards, so I don't think they are frightened of their fans.

I haven't been able to grasp what argument you're trying for in a single post of yours in this thread.

a situation like this needs a BBOP review for clarity (and setlist)

Wish I had been there to see the "mayhem" for myself. I have to say that whatever Jeff did, I'm sure it was for good reason. You can't have people jumping up onstage whenever they feel like it. You don't know what they're going to do, for one. It's unlikely that the guy meant Jeff any harm, but at the very least, somebody getting on stage and being a dope is completely distracting to the performer and the audience, IMHO. :angry

Okay here is a list of songs they played, I dont know the exact order(and this is not the exact order by far), but this will suffice for a bit:

Via Chicago

A Shot in the Arm

Handshake Drugs

Walken

Impossible Germany

War on War(drunk dude spills beer all over some kid and then bodychecks him, Jeff comes to the edge of the stage and mouths "You need to settle down...fucker")

I am trying to break your heart

Jesus, etc.

Im the man who loves you

Poor Places

Forget the Flowers

Theologians(some girl comes onstage and sits down beside Mikael)

At least thats what you said

Airline to Heaven(dude jumps onstage and tries to kiss Jeff, he grabs the guy by the hair and pulls him to the side of the stage)

Rock Myself?

Kingpin

California Stars

I am from Springfield and this was my third Wilco show. I was pretty embarrased for my town after the show. I really hope they play here again sometime(maybe not that venue though), however I completely understand if they go to Columbia or somewhere instead.