Wilco To Stream 'Sky Blue Sky' Tonight

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final thoughts: a mixed bag, with some incredible highlights and some worrying lows. Ends with a bit of a whimper thanks to "What Light," the only song on the record that I flat out dislike, but recovers a bit with a pretty dramatically spiced up "On and On and On." Anybody else shocked by how decent this song ended up becoming in the end?

But the bulk of the middle section of the record is just stellar. The back-to-back Nels epics, the sheer fucking glory of "I Hate It Here," and the title track, sounding like a real throwback to BT, are more than enough to make this a worthy entry in the Wilco canon.

Now I'm gonna listen again and attempt to capture it.

Quick: someone explain to me why On and On... is a "great" tune?

Not to be downer boy, but if they twanged on a note for eight minutes would you say "Awesome!!? It's a kind of weak tune, no?

I never thought I would say this, but:

For awhile it was said that Jeff passed by Jay in terms of songwriting, and this was probably correct. But now it's safe to say that the exact opposite has happened. Jay is back with a rocking, exciting album with some stellar tunes, and Wilco is now on a serious downslide, becoming an adult contemporary band with no fire.

Strange how things work!