You Are My Face and Hate It Here so far

nice name/avatar Harpon Dodger

Will To Love is one of my fav tunes, I always wonder if Tweedy ever heard it and how much an influence it was on YHF what with the random overdubs of piano and drums used to colour the sound

My favorites have been evolving. Right now the two I love best are "Hate It Here" and "You Are My Face."

I had a visceral negative reaction to "Shake It Off" the first time I heard it, but I have to admit that it's been growing on me a lot.

Let me start by saying I FREAKIN LOVE this album!! :worship

Right now

Sky Blue Sky the jangled acoustic folky wilco I have always loved "the drunks were ricocheting" followed by Tweedys "full throttle" vocals to open Side With The Seeds is my favorite moment right now

Soooo.. short answer Side with the Seeds, no wait Impossible Germany or Sky Blue Sky, Either Way?

On and On and On Best closer since Reservations

Solid :thumbup

Everything except "leave me" is pretty damn good. I just can't get into that one. I think What Light will be awesome when played at the right time live. Like when I'm wasted at the end of the show and just want to sing my ass off and sway back and forth like a drunk.

My favorites: ditto to thermocaster and wheelco.

It's all good though...the only song I had a hard time warming up to was On & On & On...but after the third listen, I also gave it a thumb's up. :) Also really looking forward to seeing these played live as well. :yes

Yeah. Sky Blue Sky grabs me by the face everytime I make it down to track four, but YAMF and Hate it Here jump as well. The entire album is awesome...I can't get behind Shake it Off and What Light though. Eventually, I might be able to but... yeah. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

hmmm...

I really love the entire album, but my least favourite tunes would have to be Walken and What Light. I really like hearing them live, though. My favourites would have to be YAMF and SWTS. Leave Me has definitely been growing on me like crazy this last week!!

"You Are My Face" most recently -- one of those lyrical and musical highs for Wilco, similar to Hummingbird in AGIB.

"Shake It Off" -- cuts a very deep groove unlike any other Wilco tune -- "somewhere there's a war/sometimes there is art" is one of my favorite lines in the entire collection.

My two favorite songs are 'You Are My Face' and 'Side with the Seeds' because they are a gorgeous blend of accessibility, beauty, and experimentation and originality. But I'll try and give my opinions on all the songs;

Either Way: I wouldn't exactly say the best song on the album; this is the epitome of the dad rock syndrome, but god, this song's still beautiful. From when the strings come in through "Maybe the sun will shiiiiiine tuh-day!" is just so gorgeous. Originally, I thought Nels was technically interesting as a guitarist, but this proved straight up that he could do some beautiful, melodic solos as well.

You Are My Face: Probably the best song on SBS, I think. Lyrics that strike a great balance between poetic mystery, as well as something more universal. Also, music that strikes a fine balance between simply and beautiful as well as experimental and original. The "I have no idea!" section is one of those great moments where every member of the band is in complete harmony; Pat and Mike do some amazing lead board parts, Nels' solo is great without being the typical run-through-four-scales-in-six-seconds, John and Glenn provide a danceable rhythmn section, and Tweedy's probably does some of his best vocal work ever, here.

Impossible Germany: I've been clinging to an amazing version they did in June; the solo had a clear-cut crescendo, and it was in the verse-verse-break-verse format, which I preferred. Plus, it was a helluva lot louder! So it was hard for me to get into it. Now, it's becoming one of my favorite songs. I've realized that as with a lot of "Ghost" tracks, the more quiet and atmospheric version on the album can be just as powerful. Great solo work by Nels; while he usually does the equivelant of a Charlie Parker-type solo, this one is Miles Davis-esque. Sparse, economic, delicate.

Sky Blue Sky: Nothing special; now that I've heard that the song was about some parade, the song really became more gorgeous to me, just because of that floating feeling it has.

Side with the Seeds: My other favorite; a great blend of everything. Some very poetic lyrics, and some very simple, and powerful lyrics; "I'll side with you, if you side with me," seems like a gorgeous thesis statement to the album itself. I think this is one of those songs that'll just be amazing live.

Shake It Off: The black sheep of the album. I found it to be the worst initially; I still kinda do, but I've listened to it more objectively, and it's quite interesting to say the least; regardless of whether I like it or not, this song also shows that Tweedy is still writing very evocative lyrics, and the band isn't dumbing down the music, because music theory-wise, this song is hell.

Patient with Me: I remember one reviewer comparing this to "Julia" from the White Album, and I'll have to agree.

Hate it Here: I'd have to consider this one a novelty song. Like "What Light", it seems like a strange blend between genuine and tongue-'n'-cheek. Musically, it's a great, bouncy pick-me-up surrounded by the lethargy of side three, but on its own, it's kind of weak.

Leave me (Like You Found Me): Not sure how to rate this song. I think it's some gorgeous lyrics, and gorgeous songwriting ruined by MOR arrangements. But I think it's none the less a vital link sequentially between the middle, and the end of the album, and perhaps it's a good thing if the band feels the need to be a little more minimal.

Walken: I think this is the most fun piece Wilco has done, ever. It's a great example of a song being simple, but tried-and-true, and substantial. Even then, the song sure as hell ain't simple; Many weird chord changes, yet the melodies are pulled off in the way that it sounds like a simple pop song. The lyrics are pretty simple; but that makes it all the more. This is one of the rare ocassions where a Wilco song can be genuinely moving based on sheer earnestness and sincerity, rather than poetic ambiguity. It's all in the way Tweedy sings it. The outro is another "Echoes"-like moment where all 6 band members are loud and clear, in perfect harmony.

What Light: Simultaneously gorgeous, and corny; rather than side with one of those pigeonholings of the song, I've come to appreciate it for that great paradoxal nature of it. Even if you take away the lyrics, you've got some timeless songwriting here, and proof that Tweedy doesn't need Bennett to write a sick melody. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and I remember one of my first few listens of this song was on one of the first sunny afternoons we had in a long time, and it was gorgeous. I think this is one of the few songs that will be better on the studio version rather than live; The extra accoustical guitars have a lot more weight, and I prefer Nels Cline's gorgeous lap steel part over his guitar noodling.

On and On and On: Very emotionally intense; Tweedy's lyrics here are almost Roger Waters-like, in how simple they are, but how they also summon the infinite. Musically, it's a mixed bag; wonderful piano work by Pat, weird-as-hell rhythmn section, and a eerie, but sometimes amelodic Hammond solo by Mikael. Still, a great capper to the album.

Either Way: I wouldn't exactly say the best song on the album; this is the epitome of the dad rock syndrome, but god, this song's still beautiful. From when the strings come in through "Maybe the sun will shiiiiiine tuh-day!" is just so gorgeous. Originally, I thought Nels was technically interesting as a guitarist, but this proved straight up that he could do some beautiful, melodic solos as well.

Impossible Germany: I've been clinging to an amazing version they did in June; the solo had a clear-cut crescendo, and it was in the verse-verse-break-verse format, which I preferred. Plus, it was a helluva lot louder! So it was hard for me to get into it. Now, it's becoming one of my favorite songs. I've realized that as with a lot of "Ghost" tracks, the more quiet and atmospheric version on the album can be just as powerful. Great solo work by Nels; while he usually does the equivelant of a Charlie Parker-type solo, this one is Miles Davis-esque. Sparse, economic, delicate.

Sky Blue Sky: Nothing special; now that I've heard that the song was about some parade, the song really became more gorgeous to me, just because of that floating feeling it has.

Side with the Seeds: My other favorite; a great blend of everything. Some very poetic lyrics, and some very simple, and powerful lyrics; "I'll side with you, if you side with me," seems like a gorgeous thesis statement to the album itself. I think this is one of those songs that'll just be amazing live.

What Light: Simultaneously gorgeous, and corny; rather than side with one of those pigeonholings of the song, I've come to appreciate it for that great paradoxal nature of it. Even if you take away the lyrics, you've got some timeless songwriting here, and proof that Tweedy doesn't need Bennett to write a sick melody. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and I remember one of my first few listens of this song was on one of the first sunny afternoons we had in a long time, and it was gorgeous. I think this is one of the few songs that will be better on the studio version rather than live; The extra accoustical guitars have a lot more weight, and I prefer Nels Cline's gorgeous lap steel part over his guitar noodling.

I don't think I could say it any better than you.........these are my favorites..........and in this moment in time...have special pogiancy for me right now....

-robert

For me, the song I originally (listen 1-5) liked least is becoming my favorite (after 25 listens) -- Sky Blue Sky

IG is also growing on me -- didn't like it all that much when I first heard it live.

Side with the Seeds was from the moment I first heard it (Nov '06) a :wub

You are my Face

Side With Seeds

Add Hate it Here, and you got it. :thumbup

Least favorite is still Leave Me Like You Found Me.

Impossible Germany has grown on me the most.

I like What Light, but I don't like the album version as much as the live versions.

The opposite is true for Shake it Off.

I don't care much for the strings on any of these songs.

Even when I don't like this album, I still like it.

Will To Love is one of my fav tunes, I always wonder if Tweedy ever heard it and how much an influence it was on YHF what with the random overdubs of piano and drums used to colour the sound

oh man, i've always wondered that and wondered if anyone else wondered that. good ears.

"Will To Love" really is amazing.

I like the album version of "Sunken Treasure" when Jeff sings the background vocals just before he sings the lyrics which are the same words. Brilliant. That was my favorite Wilco song for a long while just because of that and the feeling it gave me. B)