Pat Sansone Appreciation Thread

He and Nels sorta joined the band together, and I was more consumed with the idea of Nels Cline in Wilco than with (at the time...) what I thought was John's friend. When I first saw the new lineup, my reaction too was "how lucky is this guy," cause from where I was standing he seemed to be all of 15. Over time though, it's true, I've come to appreciate him so much! I had the opportunity of meeting him in San Antonio, and it was as awkward as any of your conversations. Here's the story:

My friend and I found a huuuge hard-plastic (like a yardsign) Wilco poster off to the side of the stage. We're debating taking it, and Pat randomly walks up. I go "what?! Pat Sansone! you're awesome!" And he just kinda looks at me. We talked about gear for a bit (I'm still in the process of deciding between a Nord Lead and some other stuff...) but then I asked him, "Hey, you're in Wilco. Can I take this poster?" and he says "Yeaaaaah, do it." And then bids us farewell. So we take the poster, but as we get to the door of the venue, some security guard comes racing after us, and tells us to give the poster back. Apparently he didn't believe that Pat told me I could have it. So I never did get the poster Pat Sansone gave me...bah.

Anyway, he's awesome. Being a multi-instrumentalist is so expensive though. I guess I'd file myself under the same category. Guitarists have their guitars to buy, multi-instrumentalists have guitars pianos organs synths etc. etc... What a guy! He makes jean jackets cool again!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

i'm probably a complete anomaly on this board as i just started listening to wilco within the last two years, and i actually started listening to wilco because i went to an autumn defense show. love pat sansone. LOVE.

159292204_d4d495f13a_o.jpg

he also wears stripey socks.

Pat is all kinds of rad. I'm always disappointed when I'm watching the fellas on tv performances or youtube videos and the camera cuts away from his side of the stage just in time to miss the windmills and general rock-godliness. :worship Total fox.

This shit irritates me.

We have to revive a NINE MONTH OLD THREAD to post what is, at best, peripherally related to the topic at hand.

Are you guys THAT afraid of A-man?

Which clogs up our board reading time? A new thread that might actually relate to the topic at hand, or having the slug through a year old thread to find the current content?

And yes...I'm off the meds to day...so it's off to the races. :pirate

Guest Jules
Which clogs up our board reading time? A new thread that might actually relate to the topic at hand, or having the slug through a year old thread to find the current content?

FYI, you don't really have to slug through the whole thread to find the current content, and the new comment did relate to the "topic at hand" since it was a comment in appreciation of Pat Sansone.

I revived the thread because sometimes it is fun to go back through the 2000 some topics and 130+ threads and read them and yes some times even reply to them. how is saying that Pat is my favorite Wilco member nnot related to a Pat Sansone appreciation thread?

As for fear of A-man did not really factor in. Just about every regular poster has done something similar and usually references him in some way when doing so. It is not a bad thing to try and cut down on multiple threads about the same thing, or to be directed to the same information posted someplace else.

Now for the smarmy section of the reply:

How long before replying to a thread is unacceptable? 6 months? 2weeks? just let me know and I will never ever revive a thread again. And what are these races you speak of? Is there an entry fee?

Guest Jules
I revived the thread because sometimes it is fun to go back through the 2000 some topics and 130+ threads and read them and yes some times even reply to them. how is saying that Pat is my favorite Wilco member nnot related to a Pat Sansone appreciation thread?

As for fear of A-man did not really factor in. Just about every regular poster has done something similar and usually references him in some way when doing so. It is not a bad thing to try and cut down on multiple threads about the same thing, or to be directed to the same information posted someplace else.

Now for the smarmy section of the reply:

How long before replying to a thread is unacceptable? 6 months? 2weeks? just let me know and I will never ever revive a thread again. And what are these races you speak of? Is there an entry fee?

a simple "fuck off" would have sufficed.

he also wears stripey socks.

He probably borrowed them from Nels!

I have a new admiration for Pat and his commanding stage presence after seeing the band in February. I'd never really been close enough to see a whole lot before, but the whole night, I kept not knowing where to look because there seemed to be so much to see. I was on Nels's side, but every time I looked over at Pat, he was rocking out. That guitar duel between the two of them on Hoodoo Voodoo was about the coolest thing I've ever seen live.

Can we appreciate both Pat AND Glenn. Really I could watch Glenn for ages. After seeing SNL on Sat....yay for repeats sometimes...I figured out, I think, how he holds his left hand/guitar stick. I thought it was a bit awkward but actually I think there is more control there. Yup I played with my guitar sticks while watching him, so I could figure it out. But Pat is amazing, I love his facial expressions, as well as the fact that he seems to have a lot of fun, especially in Des Moines when he was throwing the drumstick shakers up in the air. I kept watching to see if he'd hit the ceiling, he was close a few times!

• 3 years later...

Pat has seemingly moved to a somewhat capable sideman to (perhaps) a worth collaborator for Jeff.

Having heard what John and Pat have produced with Autumn Defense, heard the improved production values of The Whole Love and taken in his work with Dawes, I must say that Pat has really stepped up to the A-Team here.

He loves it when an album comes together.

I like the moments when he tosses his maracas/tambourine over his shoulder randomly during the IATTBYH dissonance - as if anyone but him could hear it make a difference :-) But that attention to detail has come up trumps with TWL.

Seriously, very impressed (though the barnet needs some work).

He loves it when an album comes together.

I like the moments when he tosses his maracas/tambourine over his shoulder randomly during the IATTBYH dissonance - as if anyone but him could hear it make a difference :-) But that attention to detail has come up trumps with TWL.

Seriously, very impressed (though the barnet needs some work).

In the danger of sounding like an idiot, what is a barnet?