Pat Sansone Appreciation Thread

I must admit, at first I was jealous. I thought, "how lucky is this guy?... to get to be in Wilco?" And then I listened to the Autumn Defense, and I realized the guy is beyond sick as a musician. And then I saw him live and was blown away. And THEN I went back and watched him perform with Wilco...I watched him pour his heart out with a quiet humility, playing parts that perhaps are easy to a musician of his capabilities, and yet he was totally engaged, totally committed, and totally aware of how important his role was, taking the high road and letting others shine, when very easily he could rip out a nasty solo like there was no tomorrow. Pat Sansone, I am a fan. :worship

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's sucha badass too with his windmills and throwing morracas

He definitely has the best rock moves in the band. I just missed having a badass picture of him in Davenport during "The Late Greats" when he turned his back and held up the guitar at the end of the song.

Extra credit given for also having the best head of hair.

I consistently focus on his parts in Impossible Germany above Nels' and Jeff's during the verses. Great touch.

I thought he played pretty much the same licks as Jeff on that.

we ran into him pre lansing show.

my friend sai in an awkward tone "hi pat."

he walked up to our group of around 7. he said hi and shook hands with us.

the same friend said, "i really like your windmills"

he said, "well, i didnt make those, pete townshend did." with authority.

my friend paused and said to his amusement and ours "well, i like your stylings of them"

he was silent.

amazing amazing and awkwardly awkward.

i find him very cool.

he has a neat style about him.

and he looks like hes 5.

up close he did have grey hair.

good guy.

one of the most remarkable things about pat is this:

i've been to several wilco shows and sometimes i will bring a friend who has absolutely no idea who the band is or what they sound like. by the end of the night, not only are they in love with Wilco ("holy crap...I have a new favorite band!") but they can't seem to stop commenting about the awesomeness of pat. this has happened on two seperate occasions with two seperate friends.

one time at a show, one of my friends who was being introduced to wilco was so overcome with love for pat, he shouted "I LOVE YOU PAT" in between songs at a quiet part. Pat looked a little startled...I guess he's not used to being as praised as some of the other band members.

However, as this thread declares, Pat should receive every cent of credit. He is a fantastic musician and a vital part of Wilco.

Long live Pat!!

Everytime I've seen this lineup I've yelled "Pat, you rock" at some point.

But really, he adds a lot of depth and sound to the band, and it wouldn't be the same without him. Alot of the time's when you hear the weird, random sounds that make Wilco so lovely, it's Pat's work.

I had great seats for sound last week & I could hear everything Pat was doing..I came away more impressed with him than before.

And of course, my 16 year-old is in love with him. :lol

I met him before the Autumn Defense show in Boston. I was there while they were setting up, and we started talking about the instruments on stage, we came across the opening band's bass. He said "I covet this bass", we laughed, then I looked away, looked back, he was still looking at me (in a joking manner), and we laughed again.

good times.

I met him backstage at the College of Wm. & Mary show last year. He was the only one that had a bottle opener on his person... and so he opened up a round of beers for everyone back there. It was admittedly an awkward moment, but he did seem like a cool guy.

I Appreciate!

cheers,

b.s.

Ditto for me on the Pat-is-amazing appreciation thread here. The poor guy gets the "multi-instrumentalist" tag in the write ups (if he's mentioned at all), which is about the most unflattering, non-descript label I've ever heard. Then he goes missing in a couple of the video's on the last DVD. Certainly gets the prize for most under-appreciated Wilco-ian, imo.

But it was great to see him on guitar more on this tour (so it seemed anyway), and vocals a bit.

Hoping this thread stays up for a good long time.... 'cause Pat Rocks.