Most underrated/overrated wilco songs?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with those who feel most all of AM is underrated

Interesting to know how many here have been listening since day one with AM and seen the band's progression throughout the years

I still remember hearing "Passenger Side" on radio in ~94 (95?) when it first came out while studying in college.....Loved it and picked up the album the next day

They Played my radio station's summer fest in 95 and 96 - in charleston, SC

Our local radio station (96 WAVE) was way into Uncle Tupelo early on too.....

So, if you were around when AM came out, I think you probably like it more..........Hell, I thought Being There was quite a departure - enough that it took me quite some time to get into

I guess those who came to Wilco later on may listen to AM and not appreciate it as much.

Sorry so long winded..........

Overrated: Impossible Germany, in that if you like it at all, I feel you are overrating it...bugs me

Underrated: Too Far Apart.....should be played at every show

Over Rated: Impossible Germany (studio version), Hate it Here.

Under Rated: Well first of all Summerteeth (the album) alone has several.. In a Future Age, Pieholden Suite, When You Wake Up Feeling Old, Summerteeth. Why Would You Wanna Live?, Pot Kettle Black, Kamera, Should've Been In Love

--Mike

Overrated Song - Heavy Metal Drummer... easily the worst Wilco song

i really don't know how you can say that. i mean, it's by no means my favorite, but easily worst?

seriously?

worst?

I think a lot of songs on YHF are overrated... I don't get why SBS is called mellow and boring when you got snoozers like 'Kamera', 'Radio Cure', 'Poor Places', and 'Ashes'.

I know these are just opinions man. But to me Poor Places & Ashes are just about the best songs Wilco has ever made.

overrated: Pieholden

underrated: most of A.M.

I think a lot of songs on YHF are overrated... I don't get why SBS is called mellow and boring when you got snoozers like 'Kamera', 'Radio Cure', 'Poor Places', and 'Ashes'.

:rotfl

When Jeff explained Heavy Metal Drummer in the Spin magazine interview when AGiB came out it gave me a whole new appreciation of it.

SPIN Interview July 2004

But the most telling thing Tweedy says regarding his past comes when I ask about "Heavy Metal Drummer," the best song off Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. What he says probably illustrates more about his personality than anything that could be deduced from his songs.

"People always get confused about 'Heavy Metal Drummer' because they think I was the drummer in a band that covered Kiss songs. I can tell you what it's [really] about. Hopefully, it won't ruin it for you."

For the first time, Tweedy becomes almost goofy, gesturing with the cigarette lodged in his right paw. This is clearly a story he enjoys telling. "That song is really just another reminder about not being judgmental and reductive," he says. "There were many, many nights in St. Louis where me and my friends would go see some punk band, and then we'd all go to the landing on the Mississippi River, because the bars on the landing had a 4 a.m. liquor license. And all us punk guys would sit there and scoff and feel superior to all the heavy-metal bar bands with the big hair and the Spandex, most of whom were having the fucking time of their fucking life. So who was losing? Me. Those guys were getting laid, they were deluding themselves into thinking they were gonna be huge stars, and they were living. And I was dead. I was staring into my drink." He laughs.

"I don't think we'll play that song anymore."

i really don't know how you can say that. i mean, it's by no means my favorite, but easily worst?

seriously?

worst?

I stand by that statement... for whatever reason I find no thrill in that song. It's the only Wilco song I will skip (although the opening drums are killer). HMD just doesn't get it done for me. If the argument is that "it's just a good pop song" I would rather listen to I'm Always in Love, ELT or Pot Kettle Black in terms of pop songs.

Overrated: Via Chicago

I thought I was the only one...

Hell, the website was even named for this one.

When Jeff explained Heavy Metal Drummer in the Spin magazine interview when AGiB came out it gave me a whole new appreciation of it.

I bet Billy Joel has a good story about what inspired "The Longest Time" but it's still a shit song.