Jeff Tweedy, 10-5-07

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tweedy, schmeedy! Get a load'a Neko! :omg

That picture is definitely my favorite of what I've seen from the day so far. Neko singing back-up on Pink Houses was a beautiful moment. :yes

I love the way the stage background makes the people look like they're in a painting.

Admit it, you guys just went to a festival of arty cutouts, didntcha?

Ooh, I love the back-drops! They're sheer with forest-y prints on them, because even though the stages are in the park, sometimes there are trailers or tents set up behind them. But the backdrops make the stages all green, all the time.

The festival has been fab for the past couple of days (yesterday I saw Fionn Regan, the Knitters, Nick Lowe, and Gillian Welch and David Rawlings; and Andrew saw twice that many acts). Andrew is there already for today, staking out a prime spot for Emmylou this evening, and I'll be down to join him in a bit. We've had gorgeous weather too, chilly in the early mornings and evenings, but clear and sunny through most of the days.

My pictures will have to wait until tomorrow...

Show sounds like it was FAB! I can't wait to hear SBS solo.

I have to share that during SBS the birds were outstanding...lots of playing crows and beautiful light as it was towards sunset. Also we got tons of mallards flying over. The gardners and I were very impressed with that. :lol

Ooh, I love the back-drops! They're sheer with forest-y prints on them, because even though the stages are in the park, sometimes there are trailers or tents set up behind them.

Oh, they had those at intonation and I loved them. When I see pictures from that show I completely forget that it was drizzling and overcast -- it looks like a brilliant sunshiney day.

Kris, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you're awesome. :thumbup

OK, here's that very short clip of the mystery soundcheck song. After googling the lyrics, it appears to be a cover of the song "I Want To Be Your Mama Again" by The Sir Douglas Quintet.

Yes, that's what it is. And thank you, you just prompted me to unpile my turntable and put on that album (Sir Douglas Quintet, "Mendocino") as well as "Doug Sahm and Band", with the terrific "(Is Anybody Goin' to) San Antone?" Great stuff! :thumbup

that was a really great show! the weather was perfect (a bit chilly as the sun set), the music was wonderful, and pneyu's cupcakes were divine! babies ruby and miles did great too.

i loved how all the different stages were "tucked away" in different spots throughout golden gate park. very cool festival.

Just an astonishingly great festival (all the headliners and many more great favourite artists of mine) with perfect blue sky weather for an unbelievably enjoyable weekend - except maybe for the shivering bit at 4am Sunday morning. So glad I decided to make the trip AND THAT I HAVE SUCH GREAT WILCO FRIENDS TO HAVE INVITED ME.

My highlights:-

Friday: Augie March (recommended), T-Bone Burnett with Neko Case, Jeff Tweedy ('nuff said)

Saturday: Alison Moorer (Steve Earle got up to sing a duet with his wife too), Nick Lowe, Gillian Welch (and of course the unbelievably modest David Rawlings), Steve Earle (Alison Moorer reciprocated)

Sunday (the real bluegrass day at the stage I was at and where I found my inner redneck): Hazel Dickens (when an old lady walks in to middle of her bluegrass band at the start of the set and simply drawls "Hit it boys", you know you're going to be in for a good time), Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson (fantastic between song banter, and boy can he still play), and the untouchable EMMYLOU HARRIS. Luckily I think Emmylou has 3 new fans (should have been 5 :pirate ) - I had been hyping her up so anything short of spectacular would have been a let down. She did not dissaopoint!

Also - throwing some shapes with the excellent security team!

All from up front except Gillian Welch and Steve Earle.

Also, tough decisions had to be made - could not see Los Lobos, Michelle Shocked, Charlie Louvin on other stages.

Can't upload photos until I get home (not got the right connecting cable) - if anyone is interested.

God bless Warren Hellman. Thank you again to the people who made it possible (you know who you are) and there's still one more day to enjoy in S.F. Surely time enough for another burrito!