• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worried about Mallett leaving so long as Pryor does come to Michigan as expected. And if he doesn't, well, we're screwed.

That was what I was just thinking--should Mallett's departure be read as a hint that Pryor is coming? Conversely, there were similar rumors swirling around OSU when it was reported that 2nd string QB Rob Schoenhoft was transitioning to tight end, apparently permanently. There is probably no connection to any of it--just speculation.

Does UM currently have a QB that would be a good fit for Rodriguez's style if Pryor doesn't come there?

I'm not worried about Mallett leaving so long as Pryor does come to Michigan as expected. And if he doesn't, well, we're screwed.

"As expected?" Where did you hear this? I knew that he was strongly considering Michigan because of Dick Rod, but I didn't know that it was that serious. If so, that would be a huge blow to OSU as he was almost certain to go there before Dick Rod left to go to Michigan.

I'm not really worried about Carroll leaving USC, he seems completely happy here. He doesn't really have to prove anything to anyone, and it's a pretty sweet gig. However, he is definitely the heart and soul of USC's revival, so it would be a devastating loss if he left. Hopefully its just a little ploy for USC to sweeten his contract a little. And i hope they give him anything he wants, because he's earned it.

One ray of hope is that the QB that we have already coming in this year, Steven Threet, is a transfer from G.T.. When he committed to Georgia Tech. he was the 11th rated QB coming out of high school. He isn't much of a runner, but at least he has some talent. I do think that although it isn't a slam dunk by any stretch of the imagination, that UM has to be looking pretty good to Pryor right about now. I watched him last Saturday at the U.S. Army All American game and he looked phenomenal, he was heads and shoulders above everybody else on the field. I really hope he decides to go to UM.

Can someone explain to me how Mallett knew enough about Rodriguez to know that he didn't fit into Rodriguez's offense without even speaking to Rodriguez? Am I crazy to think that Rodriguez could have tailored the spread to the assets he has/had? Didn't Henne run a modified spread offense against Florida? How did Mallett not even have the guts to talk to Rodriguez?

Can someone explain to me how Mallett knew enough about Rodriguez to know that he didn't fit into Rodriguez's offense without even speaking to Rodriguez?

How do you know he didn't talk with him? I agree that it seemed a little hasty when rumors of his transfer surfaced almost immediately after Rod was named as coach, and I'm sure I'd be agitated, too, if I were a UM fan. It sucks to see talent walk out the door. But, especially if they do sign Pryor--or any other recruit suited to that style of offense--I'm sure as Mallett learned to run a "modified spread" he'd be looking over his shoulder at the guy on the sideline who can run the real deal and is inevitably going to take his place, or at the very least split time in the not so distant future. Maybe he doesn't want that. He's got a lot of eligibility left and tons of potential as a pro prospect--I think he wants to be someplace where he knows he'll be the #1 guy for the rest of his college career.

How do you know he didn't talk with him?

I don't know, of course, but I read somewhere that Rodriguez reached out to him a few times to no avail. No idea if it's true, but like you said, it seemed like rumors of Mallett's transfer kicked up the instant that UM started talking to Rodriguez. I suppose you blame the coach for not getting ahold of the kid somehow, but if the coach tries, and the kid ignores him, I can't expect Rodriguez to get on his knees and beg.

The only problem for Pryor and going to Michigan is that he also wants to play basketball. And UM basketball is terrible.

I would think that would be attractive to him. He would actually get to play significant minutes and probably star.

You don't get a good basketball team by only having one good player. It helps, but it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Well, Laval Lukas Perry transferred last week, and Beilin's class for next year isn't all that bad. So I wouldn't say he'd be the only good player.

Honestly, I can't imagine how any of the schools that Pryor is considering would allow him to play basketball too.

How good is he at basketball? Would he get any minutes at Ohio State?

If Michigan offers him the chance to play both sports, that might just lock him up. Rodriguez knows Beilein pretty well, after all -- I'm sure they could work something out so Pryor could fit in with both of their programs.

Wishful thinking from a Michigan fan, I know. ;)

Honestly, I can't imagine how any of the schools that Pryor is considering would allow him to play basketball too.

Pryor: Yo, Coach T, if you let me play basketball I'll show you how to defend a spread offense.

Tressell: Oh, thank god!!!1!

Shocking news. McFadden is going pro.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3192816

Tailback Darren McFadden, the University of Arkansas star runner who finished as the Heisman Trophy runner-up in each of the past two seasons, will forego his final season of college eligibility and enter the 2008 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Multiple sources said McFadden's father, Graylon McFadden, dispatched the appropriate paperwork to the NFL office early this week. The decision by one of the college game's most electrifying performers to leave school a year early and pursue a professional career was hardly unexpected.

Who's decided to leave college before their senior season to enter the NFL draft? Here's the list.

League and team officials, by policy, are precluded from commenting on underclass players who have petitioned for early draft entry until after the deadline for doing so has passed. The deadline is Jan. 15, and the NFL will release a full list of underclass prospects after that.

While it is still early in the evaluation process for the April 26-27 draft, many league scouts feel that McFadden could be the most talented prospect in the player pool.

The Miami Dolphins own the top overall selection, but given the franchise's many needs, they could trade the choice for additional picks. Where McFadden is chosen could depend on the respective needs of the franchises choosing in the very early stages of the first round, but he is expected to be a top five pick.

McFadden, 20, appeared in 30 games for the Razorbacks in three seasons, and carried 785 times for 4,590 yards and 41 touchdowns. He also had 46 receptions for 365 yards and two touchdowns. In each of the last two seasons, McFadden rushed for over 1,600 yards. He rushed for 1,830 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2007.

The North Little Rock, Ark., native holds the school record for single-season and career rushing yards. A three-time All-American, McFadden won the Doak Walker Award as the country's top running back for both 2006 and 2007.

Citing league rules that prohibit discussing underclass prospects before the NFL deems them officially eligible for the draft, scouts contacted late Friday night declined to comment for attribution about McFadden's potential draft status. But the feeling is that McFadden could produce the same kind of immediate impact in the league that Minnesota Vikings first-round pick Adrian Peterson did this season.

Peterson last week was chosen as the league's 2007 offensive rookie of the year.

Some scouts, however, did note that teams interested in choosing McFadden will investigate an early Thursday incident in which he was briefly handcuffed and then released following a disturbance outside of a Little Rock piano bar that was described by a police spokesperson as "a pretty rowdy scene."

No charges have been filed against McFadden. His mother, Mini Muhammad, said that her son was protecting his younger brother, Daryl, in the fracas.

Late in the season, a local television station reported that sports agent Mike Conley, a former track and field star, had arranged for McFadden to purchase a Cadillac Escalade. The station subsequently backed off the report, and McFadden termed the story "uncalled for."

Conley is not certified to represent NFL Players, the NFL Players Association confirmed for ESPN.com on Friday. The players union is the body which accredits agents and Conley, who applied for certification last year, apparently did not meet the requirements. Conley cannot become certified before the draft.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Felix Jones to the NFL

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3195375

Arkansas junior running back Felix Jones plans to declare for the NFL draft at a news conference on Monday, two sources briefed on the decision said Sunday night.

Jones and junior teammate Darren McFadden, each of whom topped 1,000 yards rushing this season, could both be taken in the first round of the next NFL draft.

Jones, 6 feet, 207 pounds, averaged 8.7 yards per carry and scored 11 rushing touchdowns. He is also a proven threat as a returner.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/213795/

Former University of Michigan quarterback Ryan Mallett is taking the formal steps to enroll at the University of Arkansas, sources have told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Mallett, who considered signing with the Razorbacks before joining Michigan as an early enrollee last January, visited the Arkansas campus last weekend. He will have to sit out the 2008 season, per NCAA transfer rules, before becoming eligible in 2009. He will have three years of eligibility remaining at that time.

Attempts to reach Mallett and his family were unsuccessful.

Mallett, 6-7, 252 pounds, who played at Texas High in Texarkana, Texas but lived on the Arkansas side of the state line, announced his intention to transfer from Michigan last week, saying his drop-back passing style would not fit well in new Michigan Coach Rich Rodriguez

Nice to see Laurinaitis coming back for his senior season. Looks like the only early departure is Gholston, which is a huge loss, but not unexpected. This OSU defense should be something special next year. Too bad they'll likely get the Hawaii-treatment even if they go undefeated, after the way they closed out the last two years. :lol Familiarity breeds contempt. Too bad. On paper, at least, this team looks to be a pretty legit contender. That OSU/USC game early in the sesson is going to be huge.

I think it is a healthy sign that I'm already excited about next year. After last year's BCS asskicking, I didn't really get into football again until October.

Sat, Aug 30 Western Illinois Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Sat, Sep 06 Louisiana-Monroe Little Rock, Ark. TBA

Sat, Sep 13 Texas at Austin, Texas TBA

Sat, Sep 20 Alabama * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Sat, Oct 04 Florida * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Sat, Oct 11 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA

Sat, Oct 18 Kentucky * at Lexington, Ky. TBA

Sat, Oct 25 Ole Miss * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Sat, Nov 01 Tulsa Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Sat, Nov 08 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 Mississippi State * at Starkville, Miss. TBA

Sat, Nov 29 LSU * Little Rock, Ark. TBA

Tulsa will bend the hogs over.

That OSU/USC game early in the sesson is going to be huge.

I think it is a healthy sign that I'm already excited about next year. After last year's BCS asskicking, I didn't really get into football again until October.

Yeah I'm definitely excited about that one. Whichever team wins that game will be ranked #1 immediately. Not that that means anything, as we saw this year many many many times.