The Black Crowes

I'm a Rich man, through and through, so as much as I enjoy the Cabin Fever stuff, it was always difficult for me to accept his role being marginalized by CR during that time.

I also think very highly of Rich's perhaps under-appreciated contributions to the Crowes (he wrote most of the music when they were in their prime, I believe) and for me his solo stuff is on an entirely higher level of quality than his brother's.  Rich is a taste-master, bringing in so many great influences in the last few years of the Crowes (So Many Times and What Is Home were two of my fave tracks on BTF/UTF and I'd guess it was Rich who brought in Oh Sweet Nuthin', too).

I only saw Rich once on his last tour and I really regret that.  I will not be making that same mistake for this tour.  I hope Steve Molitz from Particle will still be in the touring band, he's great.  The Particle tour goes until late April, so hopefully he'll be free to tour with Rich after that.

I'm happy for folks who like CRB, you all get a lot of chances to see them live, way more than we get to see Rich.  I wish I dug CRB, too, I'd have a lot more shows to go to!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really digging on the CRB these days. I think it's a great side project/full-time project for CR. Not looking to put out radio hits or please a record company but playing and writing tunes on his own whim.

Love that Betty Cantor-Jackson didn't really know anything about CR but was so wowed with his voice/vibe that she wanted to record them live a bunch.

Maybe I need to give Rich another try. I've only heard Through a Crooked Sun. I thought the music was great, but his voice didn't do it for me. Chris' voice is so distinct. 

Yeah, I would much rather he have someone else sing, his voice just does not do it for me.  I still like Marc Ford's solo stuff better.

Rich's voice is obviously his greatest weakness. I'm a super-fan, so my ears are trained to look past it (a la Dead fans and Jerry/Bob/Phil), but there's no doubt that he's an underwhelming singer overall, and when compared to his brother, there's no contest. That being said, Shug is absolutely right. When you listen to Rich solo material, you are listening to the sounds of the Black Crowes everybody fell in love with, minus Chris voice (and I get that this is a big minus for most people). CR&RR wrote all the BC songs together, but until the last album it was always Rich writing every riff, every bit of instrumental melody, which Chris would then write lyrics and vocal melodies too (while often re-arranging the orders of the song sections RR would write, making verses choruses and vice versa). I'm 99% sure that prior to Warpaint and BTF, the only song Chris wrote the music too on his own was High Head Blues (and that's a doozy, for sure). But the real Crowes catalogue... those open tunings, those descending chord progressions and those gorgeous arrangements? You don't have that without RR at the helm.

This to me says it all... on the original demo of Descending, the beautiful piano outro that every knows is apparently played nearly note-for-note by Rich on guitar. Ed is a genius piano player, and has written/improvised his own solos for the band on many occasions, but that one was apparently written and directed by RR from the word go.

I really love a lot of CRB, and much like the Crowes, Chris' secret weapon is his ballads (100 Days Of Rain is a classic), but listen to the music on Through a Crooked Sun (or even the patchier Paper) and you'll hear a dozen classic should-have-been Crowes tracks. "Hey Fear" would have killed it on Three Snakes.

I'm a Rich man, but I think the CR solo albums from the first hiatus are the best thing either has issued outside of the Crowes. Crowes have always been a song first, then worry about the jam band. CRB's stuff is just full of mindless repetetive noodling. Probably comes off better in a live situation, but when it's the same, song after song, it would get old there too. The few times they actually write a song, it's nice, but still doesn't hold up when compared to Rich ability to craft a song.

My favorite jammy moments have always the jams that unfold like songs. The Crowes excel at seamlessly blending in really great progressions and moments in a spontaneous fashion, without overdoing it.

I need to check out Rich's releases (and live show), but my favorite solo album is Marc's first: It's About Time. Not your typical lead guitar player solo album. From there, New Earth Mud's second album (This Magnificant Distance) is also great. I agree with the comments on CRB.

CRB's stuff is just full of mindless repetetive noodling. Probably comes off better in a live situation, but when it's the same, song after song, it would get old there too. 

Seriously? You've listened to the two albums, right?

I like Marc Ford's Its About Time and Weary and Wired is OK, but he made a record in 2007 called Fuzz Machine that is absolutely fucking epic to me and criminally under-heard, I think.  It was a live in the studio affair (raw stage sound) of a band with his son and Muddy (who is now in CRB, strangely enough) and Dennis Morehouse right after they came off a tour and were shit-hot.  Its a full on Neil Young-Crazy Horse kind of blistering guitar record, but also with what I think is very strong songwriting (some dark and angry jamming tunes) and some lovely ballads.  I can never figure out who Marc is singing/talking to in his songs because he's cryptic and vague, but I love his lyrics.  This was his first musical project after he quit the Crowes in 2006, for what that is worth in trying to figure out the meaning of the lyrics.

He recorded the album and then didn't release it for several years for reasons that I cannot fathom and when it did come out it was download only.

http://marcford.bandcamp.com/album/fuzz-machine 

If you like Marc Ford and you don't have this one, I highly recommend it.

I like Marc Ford's Its About Time and Weary and Wired is OK, but he made a record in 2007 called Fuzz Machine that is absolutely fucking epic to me and criminally under-heard, I think.  It was a live in the studio affair (raw stage sound) of a band with his son and Muddy (who is now in CRB, strangely enough) and Dennis Morehouse right after they came off a tour and were shit-hot.  Its a full on Neil Young-Crazy Horse kind of blistering guitar record, but also with what I think is very strong songwriting (some dark and angry jamming tunes) and some lovely ballads.  I can never figure out who Marc is singing/talking to in his songs because he's cryptic and vague, but I love his lyrics.  This was his first musical project after he quit the Crowes in 2006, for what that is worth in trying to figure out the meaning of the lyrics.

He recorded the album and then didn't release it for several years for reasons that I cannot fathom and when it did come out it was download only.

http://marcford.bandcamp.com/album/fuzz-machine 

If you like Marc Ford and you don't have this one, I highly recommend it.

spotify does not have this, and I was sad to see that Ford only has 189 followers.

I will buy that based on the recommendation, which will make the photographer happy.

Take a listen to Fuzz Machine and see what you think.  You can actually listen to the entire album on that website I linked above. Or check out his other solo records that were mentioned.  He's got a new album coming out in April, I believe, too.  I think he's a talented songwriter with a limited but eccentric and character-filled voice.  He'll never be a mainstream hit as a solo artist, and probably no one major will cover his songs, but I think he's capable of being brilliant if you like music in his style.

Take a listen to Fuzz Machine and see what you think.  You can actually listen to the entire album on that website I linked above. Or check out his other solo records that were mentioned.  He's got a new album coming out in April, I believe, too.  I think he's a talented songwriter with a limited but eccentric and character-filled voice.  He'll never be a mainstream hit as a solo artist, and probably no one major will cover his songs, but I think he's capable of being brilliant if you like music in his style.

Absolutely agree on Fuzz Machine.  A fantastic album that I can't believe was not released. Apparently he was selling them at live shows and may still be doing that.  I have a burned copy someone gave me and played the hell out of it.

CRB has listed some upcoming tour dates. They will be back in Tampa in April, and I'm getting my ticket this Friday morning when they go on sale. They're playing at a little club in Ybor where I saw Warren Zevon back in the 90s.

http://chrisrobinsonbrotherhood.com/

Good thing there is some new music I can check out live and enjoy!

For all you Crowes fans who don't like CRB, I think I found out what Rich will be up to while his brother is touring:

The Experience Hendrix Tour has added Rich Robinson, Brad Whitford, Robby Krieger, Taj Mahal and Quinn Sullivan to its lineup. The guitarists will join Buddy Guy, Zakk Wylde, Bootsy Collins, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Eric Johnson, Doyle Bramhall II, Dweezil Zappa, Los Lobos’ Cesar Rosas and David Hidalgo, Eric Gales, Ana Popovic and Mato Nanji on the tour, which pays tribute to the music of the one-and-only Jimi Hendrix.

Information for those who do like CRB:

The Chris Robinson Brotherhood will release their third album, Phosphorescent Harvest, on April 29 via Silver Arrow Records. The group—Chris Robinson (lead vocals, guitar), Neal Casal (guitar, vocals), Adam MacDougall (keys, vocals), George Sluppick (drums) and Mark Dutton (bass, vocals)—have also confirmed a number of tour dates in support of the release.

The outing will officially kick off on April 29 with a three-night run at Terrapin Crossroads before the band makes a number of stops out West. CRB have also announced a few Southeast dates for before the tour begins in earnest, including sets at Wanee and Sweetwater 420 Festival. More dates will be added to the tour in the near future.

Phosphorescent Harvest tracklist:

1. Shore Power
2. About a Stranger
3. Meanwhile In The Gods….
4. Badlands Here We Come
5. Clear Blue Sky & The Good Doctor
6. Beggar’s Moon
7. Wanderer’s Lament
8. Tornado
9. Jump The Turnstiles
10. Burn Slow
11. Humboldt Windchimes (bonus track on CD only) 

Chris Robinson Brotherhood Tour Dates

April 12 Live Oak, FL—Wanee Festival
April 13 Tampa, FL—The Ritz
April 18 Winston-Salem, NC—Ziggy’s
April 19 Wilmington, NC—Ziggy’s By The Sea
April 20 Atlanta, GA—Sweetwater 420 Festival
April 29 San Rafael, CA—Terrapin Crossroads
April 30 San Rafael, CA—Terrapin Crossroads
May 1 San Rafael, CA—Terrapin Crossroads
May 3 Big Sur, CA—Henry Miller Library
May 4 Big Sur, CA—Henry Miller Library
May 6 Crystal Bay, NV—Crystal Bay Club Crown Room
May 8 Ashland, OR—Historic Ashland Armory
May 9 Portland, OR—Wonder Ballroom
May 10 Seattle, WA—Neumos
May 13 Missoula, MT—The Top Hat
May 14 Bozeman, MT—Emerson Cultural Center
May 16 Denver, CO—Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
May 17 Denver, CO—Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
May 20 Boise, ID—Knitting Factory Concert House
May 23 Solana Beach, CA—Belly Up Tavern
May 24 Pioneertown, CA—Pappy & Harriet’s
June 5-8 Hunter, NY—Mountain Jam

For all you Crowes fans who don't like CRB, I think I found out what Rich will be up to while his brother is touring:

After the Experience Hendrix tour (he's only on 6 of the dates) he will release his next solo album in April and there will be a full tour, which is what I'm most stoked for.   http://richrobinson.net/

For a new Crowes fan who has digested their whole catalog and is now ready to dive into some live sets, can anyone recommend the best eras? Or favorite individual shows?

Really depends on what you like best about them. I generally prefer the early to mid-90s, but one of our illustrious members here on VC turned me on to some mid-2000 shows that are pretty interesting, too, with a fair number of surprising covers (Don't Let Me Down, Yer Blues, etc.) Someone more knowledgeable about them than me (which is pretty much everyone here) can probably comment more.

I'm a little surprised that the Southeast U.S. dates for CRB are right before the tour proper. Really glad they are playing Tampa. I was thinking of suffering through the Wanee Festival just so I could see 'em, but decided not to. Then they booked the Ritz in Ybor City, which is a dinky little place that typically hosts bands like The Kills or Flogging Molly. They have had a few larger name acts there - Band of Horses, Smashing Pumpkins - but not often. Although I did catch Warren Zevon there when it first opened in '96 or so. Anyway, I'm thinking someone in the band knows someone in this area and that's why they swing by. When they played Clearwater in 2012, Neal Casal was talking to some dude in a van for about twenty minutes before I finally caught him for an autograph. Maybe some family here, who knows...